POLL IN OP: Which do you prefer, Ultra Instinct Omen or Mastered Ultra Instinct?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: POLL IN OP: Which do you prefer, Ultra Instinct Omen or Mastered Ultra Instinct?

Post by Asura » Fri May 18, 2018 7:40 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Both has that annoying issue with Goku looking and fighting like a cocky idiot.
What? That's the best part
Not for me. I never saw Goku being as annoying as when he goes Ultra Instinct. This forced "badass look" is just stupid imo.
He looks like a puppet or zombie with no emotions at all.
What do you mean by a forced "badass look"? How do you force a look? How does a transformation's appearance even make someone more annoying? Especially one in which he barely speaks. :think:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: POLL IN OP: Which do you prefer, Ultra Instinct Omen or Mastered Ultra Instinct?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 18, 2018 8:09 pm

Asura wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: What? That's the best part
Not for me. I never saw Goku being as annoying as when he goes Ultra Instinct. This forced "badass look" is just stupid imo.
What do you mean by a forced "badass look"? How do you force a look? How does a transformation's appearance even make someone more annoying? Especially one in which he barely speaks. :think:
I might not know which english word use for what i want to say.
I mean that instead of actually looking badass he looks pathetic and annoying.
If he used UI Omen and was behaving like always when mad, using brain, not just looking in front like zombie, he would be badass.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Omen, the black hair with the glow looks better than the silver.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Asura wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:
I might not know which english word use for what i want to say.
I mean that instead of actually looking badass he looks pathetic and annoying.
If he used UI Omen and was behaving like always when mad, using brain, not just looking in front like zombie, he would be badass.
I think I understand what you're trying to say... maybe... sort of. You dislike the calm, sort of emotionless yet serious look on his face, but I think it makes perfect sense for the form which is all about clearing your mind of thoughts in battle.
Damn, pathetic and annoying though, that's harsh. You don't think this is badass looking?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 am

Visually, Omen. However, if in regards to the forms themselves, I prefer Mastered. The idea that Omen was only "defense" based and that attacks didn't do nearly as much damage was a bit of a let down. Plus, we saw Omen more and got more attached to the form.

I think if Mastered had done something different with the hair stylistically, like a slightly spiked up or a more noticable difference where it almost looked Super Saiyan (like early promos for the form looked), I would have liked it better

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 am

Hopefully when the manga comes out, they use the artwork of Ultra Instinct that Toyotarou drew. It looks awesome and can potentially make me favor it over Omen if it's done right.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 am

"Mastered" (technically just Ultra Instinct) has grown on me ever since it was shown in motion, so I have no problem with its aesthetic. I like how Yamamuro made it visually distinct enough that it wasn't just a recolored clone of Super Saiyan God; I love Super Saiyan God, but having Ultra Instinct look overly similar to it definitely would've reduced the impact both forms had within the story.

I do still prefer Omen visually, but I've more or less come to terms with the fact that it just wasn't meant to be anything more than an incomplete version of the actual transformation. Looking back, I'm honestly fine with that.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 am

Asura wrote: I think I understand what you're trying to say... maybe... sort of. You dislike the calm, sort of emotionless yet serious look on his face, but I think it makes perfect sense for the form which is all about clearing your mind of thoughts in battle.
Damn, pathetic and annoying though, that's harsh. You don't think this is badass looking?

Yeah but it's not just about his lack of emotions. It's also about his ignorant look. Not keeping eye contact with enemy. It's not in his style.
It doesn't happen always, only sometimes, but it's extremely annoying.

The same way i didn't like the scene when he turns UI for the first time and just keeps going forward completely ignoring attacks from Toppo and Dyspo.
It reminds me of Teen Gohan SSJ2 type of behaviour. Especially scene from Bojack Unbound.
Some people might like it and it's okay. But i don't.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:39 am

That's the entire point of UI. Instinct is taking over.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat May 19, 2018 10:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:That's the entire point of UI. Instinct is taking over.
Exactly. Not liking his badass attitute in UI is like getting mad at the fact that Goku became more wild and aggressive while in SS, back when he first transformed.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat May 19, 2018 10:23 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Not keeping eye contact with enemy.
Just like it wasn't Goku's style to be so aggressive towards his enemy back when he first transformed into a SS.
Get Fucked, C_unt

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Omen. It’s just something about the black hair ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue May 22, 2018 6:25 pm

I'll admit, Ultra Instinct has grown on me.

But it still doesn't quite top the impact and resonance that Ultra Instinct Omen had for me.

It's a combination of different factors:

Ultra Instinct Omen had subtle changes to Goku's state and thus didn't feel like a simple new form; Goku was also more stoic and and let his actions speak for him. There's also the way in which it was utilized; Ultra Instinct Omen had a greater feel of overall martial arts mastery compared to the fully realized Ultra Instinct due to the more unique way that Goku moved and fought. It really felt like this was a complete change from Goku's traditional fighting style, and Goku having to work around the shortcomings of his relative inexperience with this power made for some spectacular fighting that eschewed the tradition of "huge power level beats slightly less huge power level".