What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:28 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote: And Ribrianne has her own devoted base as well.
I think we have the world's #1 Ribrianne fan right here on the forums. :thumbup:
What is good is to hear from other fans like what you said here Jackalope89 is that Ribrianne has a Fanbase that is around and by what I have seen is steadily growing. From Fan Art to Comments they just generally enjoyed her and U2's unique characterization and while yes we got allot of comments in parts of the net that did not like her, I feel like with Kale and Caulifla they negatives have greatly died-down Allot since the ToP has ended and more good feelings for all these ladies is steadily increasing now that worries that seem to be around during the ToP are over.

The Hope needs to be now for fans of Kale, Caulifla, Ribrianne and other members of U2 and U6 they they get to return and get more development cause that is what the growing fanbases would like to see. Yes this is U7's show and they will always be front and center, but fans like us just hope we get our own favorites time to have their moments in the sun. :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Skar wrote:
ricky84 wrote:Caulifla, Kefla and Kale are surprising really popular nowadays despite initial hate. A lot of people like Toppo as well (many preferring him over Jiren) and think Aniraza is a cool design.
Has there been a recent character poll in Japan? I'm wondering how you came to conclusion. I liked Toppo and thought Aniraza had a cool design but not I'm aware of many people like them outside of this forum.
Well even the writers of the anime's ToP arc pointed out how surprisingly popular Cauilfa and Kale are (at least in Japan). Plus, those 2 already have more fanart out there than most DB characters.
That would Not Surprise me, Also when I was watching LIVE Videos of Crowds from various countries I believe in Latin America, when the Universes came back in Episode 131, U6 got the BIGGEST Cheers and at time when Kale, Cauilfa and Cabba where on screen alone they got ROARING Cheers from the Crowds too allot! No Boos or Hate at all and Universe 2 when they came back at times got cheers a well, not as much as U6, but I saw more then I thought! :)

IMO it shows a GREAT Contrast betweeen what is said on the net and what is happening in the Real World Fandom. :wink:

The net is not the Be-All-End-All to Fandom and it seems the real world and different parts of it have a More Positive Opinion on Kale and Cauilfa and the Net is catching up to that liking of them as well with all the fanart around as 1 example.

Also, Like you Said about Kale and Cauilfa's Popularity in Japan, I have also heard on more then a Few times around the net that Ribrianne is somewhat to very Popular in Japan as well and honestly that would not sunrise me with Japan having an ingrained history with Magical Girls and likely them so much! :thumbup:

For Toei from what I hear, what the Japaneses Fans like they take in to consideration the Most, so if all this is true it gives Greater Hope to Fans of Kale, Cauilfa and Ribrianne maybe some hope they will be back in next series. :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:36 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Meshack wrote:
DHM211 wrote:The TOP arc is 90% spectacle and 10% story so I don’t dont see how the Manga can best the Anime, especially considering how beautiful episodes like 109/110, 130, 131, amongst others, looked.
It’s animated and has colour...
So was Toriyama's original manga but it still holds up well and in my opinion much better than Z anime adaptation. So that's not a excuse, a good mangaka can make things work but Toyotaro isn't that. The debut of UI "Omen" had absolutely no weight here at all.
a comic cannot outdo these types of episodes... especially if you have shida animating and takahashi

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:53 am

Meshack wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Meshack wrote: It’s animated and has colour...
So was Toriyama's original manga but it still holds up well and in my opinion much better than Z anime adaptation. So that's not a excuse, a good mangaka can make things work but Toyotaro isn't that. The debut of UI "Omen" had absolutely no weight here at all.
a comic cannot outdo these types of episodes... especially if you have shida animating and takahashi
And the music attached was fantastic too .
Only possibility for this manga to offer something more attractive in the debut of omen was a different build up and trigger reasons , I think he tried , let’s wait for the translation to put all together, so far looks good to me .
When it comes to transformations and changes of colors..anime has always the upper hand to fulfill all your senses , manga has just eyes , anime has eyes and ears .. colors and animation .
Manga is about yourself filling out the gaps using your imagination, anime is full served
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:25 am

Now that Kaioken is in the manga, the chances of it being in the movie just skyrocketed, same as Vegeta's evolved Blue form. Toppo's destroyer mode also has a high chance at being in the manga.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:31 am

lancerman wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Don't act like the anime were any better. Beerus and the other Gods of Destruction spent MILLIONS of years trying to achieve this legendary technique, the Ultra Instinct, and failed, and yet somehow this random 40-yo-old Saiyan is able to master it in 30 minutes? I don't care if Goku is a prodigy. I don't care if he learned the Kamehameha in five minutes. Ultra Instinct is clearly a much more advanced technique than that stupid ki blast that even fodder characters can do, if it makes even the Gods of Destruction open their mouth in astonishment. Give me a break.
Yeah no. Goku at UI is fine. Goku is a prodigy of a race that is biologically designed for battle. It makes sense that Goku and any Saiyans would have a much greater aptitude for fighting abilities and evolution within fighting styles than the gods who aren't part of a race who exists to fight. Goku was able to learn the Spirit Bomb and Kaio Ken which were techniques that Kaio sama developed over a long period of time. He is one of only two Saiyans to train in god ki and to be trained by Whis who was trying to get them to understand UI.

Goku being a Saiyan makes him much more likely to have his body go into UI than any other race and the fact that he is even a prodigy amongst Saiyans increases that dramatically.
Yet when Beerus and the others were found worthy to attain godhood and become eternal Gods of Destruction, so clearly their species must be much more battle-hardened and powerful than saiyans. They wouldn't have got that position in their first place if their power hadn't impressed Zeno, or whoever appoints the next Destroyers.

Goku, the saiyans, have one of their species ever been a Destroyer? No? Thought so.

And besides, Goku is a prodigy, so is literally every other saiyan character in the show. Prodigies in this show are a joke, even Pan and Bulla are most likely prodigies.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:52 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: He uses it with Completed Blue. He lands 2 hits on Jiren, and Jiren no sells it and backhands him. Goku then starts to lose all his energy
I fucking called this.
You called it exactly, good job. That was even before he lost to Toppo in the manga
Credit where credit is due, Emperior, above the linked comment and my own, called it first. Just got it wrong on when it would be used.
sintzu wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Independent of this, discussion of upcoming chapters should not occur until their official release within the pages of Shueisha's V-Jump magazine and/or digital release in English on Viz's website.
Whether or not people should wait for the full chapter won't change the fact that they want to talk about it as leaks come out so locking everything down and constantly monitoring other topics seems like more trouble than it's worth when you can simply leave the main manga topic opened. When we didn't know for sure if Broly was the villain of the movie you (or another mod) locked the movie's topic down which resulted in multiple other topics turning into a Broly discussion, something that could've easily been avoided by leaving the movie's topic open.
sintzu wrote:
Bullza wrote:Lol, the threads get locked but people still just go somewhere else to discuss it anyway.
It shows how counter productive locking the manga's topic is.
I wonder, if all these transgressions done again and again despite the admin's warnings will eventually lead to the Zamas solution:
Zero Users Plan :twisted:
At this point who wouldn't be pissed, people can't stop defying the site's gods..

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:58 am

dbgtFO wrote: I wonder, if all these transgressions done again and again despite the admin's warnings will eventually lead to the Zamas solution:
At this point who wouldn't be pissed, people can't stop defying the site's gods..
They'll eventually just have to shut the whole site down for a few days to stop people from talking about early leaks. :lol:

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:04 am

sintzu wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: I wonder, if all these transgressions done again and again despite the admin's warnings will eventually lead to the Zamas solution:
They'll eventually just have to shut the whole site down for a few days to stop people from talking about early leaks. :lol:
I love it that now even some youtubers are making videos out of 3 leaked pictures. Amazing stuff, especially when some of them are shitting against clickbait.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:25 am

sintzu wrote:Now that Kaioken is in the manga, the chances of it being in the movie just skyrocketed, same as Vegeta's evolved Blue form. Toppo's destroyer mode also has a high chance at being in the manga.
The chances were exactly the same as before this really doesn't really change anything.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:44 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote:Now that Kaioken is in the manga, the chances of it being in the movie just skyrocketed, same as Vegeta's evolved Blue form. Toppo's destroyer mode also has a high chance at being in the manga.
The chances were exactly the same as before this really doesn't really change anything.
Before the manga was doing one thing while the anime was doing something else so we didn't know which version it was going to follow or just end up doing its own thing. Now that both are doing the same thing, the chances of those forms making it into the movie have gone up if just slightly. Even UI Omen which was believed to be an anime only form has made it in the manga which makes me wonder if it was something agreed upon between the DB creators to help unify things more. If that's the case, I wonder if Omen is what Goku and potentially Vegeta will use against Broly in the movie.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:33 am

theTUN wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote: Where was the outrage when Trunks not only fought on par with merged Zamasu, but defeated him?
Everywhere. People have been complaining about it non stops since it happened.
Lol yeah exactly. He acts like this wasn't constantly brought up as a criticism of the anime

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:34 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Before the manga was doing one thing while the anime was doing something else so we didn't know which version it was going to follow or just end up doing its own thing. Now that both are doing the same thing, the chances of those forms making it into the movie have gone up if just slightly. Even UI Omen which was believed to be an anime only form has made it in the manga which makes me wonder if it was something agreed upon between the DB creators to help unify things more. If that's the case, I wonder if Omen is what Goku and potentially Vegeta will use against Broly in the movie.
If Goku goes UI then presumably it will be the full version otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Vegeta's role is still a mystery in the movie so I am curious what his role will be. I would like to see SSGSS.E I think the form has a lot of potential especially if they get rid of the messy aura, Vegeta getting longer hair does suit him better and feels like an actual form instead of Vegeta just changing hair colour.

Personally I don't think UI or Omen would look good on Vegeta mostly because unlike Goku's wild base hair I think it would end up looking like the usual Vegeta just changed his hair colour.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:42 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Vegeta's role is still a mystery in the movie
... Vegeta's role in any episode, manga chapter or movie is anything *but* a mystery.

His role is to always be one (or three) step(s) behind Goku. Sucks, but it is what it is. Whatever Goku does in the movie, Vegeta will do but only worse. It is infuriating at this point.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:51 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
... Vegeta's role in any episode, manga chapter or movie is anything *but* a mystery.

His role is to always be one (or three) step(s) behind Goku. Sucks, but it is what it is.
The producer (or director) already said that's exactly what he'll be doing. It's a shame he can't move on from that and just do his own thing instead of constantly following in Goku's footsteps but it's clear they want to keep the status quo going for as long as possible.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 am

Nickolaidas wrote:

His role is to always be one (or three) step(s) behind Goku. Sucks, but it is what it is. Whatever Goku does in the movie, Vegeta will do but only worse. It is infuriating at this point.
Toriyama said Goku, Vegeta & Broly all have different destinies. So it doesn't sound like it is gonna be the usual. Hopefully.

I'm hoping there is a whole secondary plot point involving Vegeta while Goku is fighting Full Power Broly and it's not the usual Vegeta lost Goku steps up.
sintzu wrote:
The producer (or director) already said that's exactly what he'll be doing. It's a shame he can't move on from that and just do his own thing instead of constantly following in Goku's footsteps but it's clear they want to keep the status quo going for as long as possible.
Isn't that where Vegeta is at, at the start of the film though?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:14 am

The manga really blew it with Ultra Instinct. Goku had zero reason to transform compared to the anime :cry:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:19 am

Kenneth La Torre wrote:SSBE and hakaishin toppo looks plausible in the manga now. Ï
It's possible. As far as I can recall, the last we see of Toppo he was knocked unconscious by Vegeta but is still in the ring and he's shirtless just like he was when he became Toppo Hakai. Belmod mentioned wanting to step down soon at the Exhibition and I assumed that would be how Toppo would become a god in 125. It might happen here instead, and if we see one form I think the other will follow.

Overall I'm really disappointed in how all of the characters are being handled in the manga, not just the new ones. Gohan, Piccolo, 18, Tien and Krillin have been totally wasted, Goku and Vegeta have been farting around with Toppo/Jiren/The B-list Pride Troopers in the background with little interesting page time and the new characters are scarcely characters. Nobody has any interesting narratives going on and as a result they've been robbed of any character development they got in the anime. There's no reason to give two craps about any of the new fighters unless you already knew them from the tv series.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:39 am

mute_proxy wrote:The manga really blew it with Ultra Instinct. Goku had zero reason to transform compared to the anime :cry:
Because a spirit bomb made from the Genki of like 8 people should totally be the size of the one used to kill Buu. Not to mention that getting hit with a spirit bomb should totally give you the power of automatic dodging.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:46 am

Bergamo wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:The manga really blew it with Ultra Instinct. Goku had zero reason to transform compared to the anime :cry:
Because a spirit bomb made from the Genki of like 8 people should totally be the size of the one used to kill Buu. Not to mention that getting hit with a spirit bomb should totally give you the power of automatic dodging.
He was exhausted, and couldn't handle it himself. The struggle gave him the limit breaking transformation (which allowed him to use the UI technique), which later appeared only when he couldn't handle things on his own and was on brink of defeat. Disregarding the details of the genki, it makes a lot more sense that seeing the old man get a ring out, then be like, yep I broke through my limits and can use UI now because of that. That's as silly as Cabba turning SS1 because of mean words.