What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The same as I always feel between the two: the anime is offensively stupid whereas the manga is bland and soulless.
But which is the lesser of two evils? :P
Depends on my mood.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:01 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:The same as I always feel between the two: the anime is offensively stupid whereas the manga is bland and soulless.
But which is the lesser of two evils? :P
Depends on my mood.
I guess that explains why you're from Split in Croatia.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I guess the explains why you're from Split in Croatia.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:05 pm

I personally don't think that the manga is more soulless than the anime. Trunks summoning the hopes of the people of Earth and forming it into a sword isn't emotion. A character moment doesn't count if it reeks of a misunderstanding of the character.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Bergamo wrote:
I personally don't think that the manga is more soulless than the anime. Trunks summoning the hopes of the people of Earth and forming it into a sword isn't emotion. A character moment doesn't count if it reeks of a misunderstanding of the character.
No that's just the anime being offensively stupid. The manga is bland & soulless because it fails to elicit any emotion period.

Some might say this makes the anime better because it gets something out of me I'd preferably like positive responses to come from viewing stuff.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:17 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I guess that explains why you're from Split in Croatia.
Die
I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

But on serious note, when comparing the anime and manga with regards to this arc, in some parts, Super as whole, despite the writing issues that plague both mediums, I think there's enough inherently good material to counterbalance the negative traits the storytelling both mediums have.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:20 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
No that's just the anime being offensively stupid. The manga is bland & soulless because it fails to elicit any emotion period.

Some might say this makes the anime better because it gets something out of me I'd preferably like positive responses to come from viewing stuff.
I don't feel a warm mushy feeling in my heart when I read the original manga. Does that make it bad?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Bergamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: I personally don't think that the manga is more soulless than the anime. Trunks summoning the hopes of the people of Earth and forming it into a sword isn't emotion. A character moment doesn't count if it reeks of a misunderstanding of the character.

I don't feel a warm mushy feeling in my heart when I read the original manga. Does that make it bad?
Emotion is more than a mushiness, it's excitement or a feeling of intrigue or even tension none of which I feel when reading most of Toyotaro's stuff. Exceptions being the earlier chapters along with Goku vs Merged Zamasu which remains one of the best fights of the modern run.
Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I guess that explains why you're from Split in Croatia.
Die

But on serious note, when comparing the anime and manga with regards to this arc, in some parts, Super as whole, despite the writing issues that plague both mediums, I think there's enough inherently good material to counterbalance the negative traits the storytelling both mediums have.
Nah its fine, I make stupid Split puns all the time at work.

If some one could combine the anime and manga, they'd probably get a decent product. Not anything amazing, but good enough to warrant its existence.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:38 pm

Bergamo wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: I think the major reason both are bad is that foundation of the arc is very weak and in reality no one outside saiyans and maybe freeza is given importance.

In current situation,you can’t develop the other universes well enough outside of saiyans and the antagonists and you can’t justify just knocking them away either.

Supposedly,you are able to do that I don’t think the non saiyans characters will matter in the long run.
I think the lack of focus on what they desired from each universe and a focus on key players in each of the universes in both mediums definitely effected the storytelling and battle Royale aspect of this tournament.

The idea itself is great, however, outside of that, its quite obvious that both sides had no clue how they wanted to pull it off, or were unable to pull it off due to other circumstances.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a larger emphasis on the team dynamics and objectives of each universe, to make things more interesting. They could flesh out one or two key characters from the universes, namely the team key representative(that should have been something they focused on), while having each universe focusing on a different individual and team dynamic.

For example, I was thinking it would have been interesting that universe 10 had a lot of physically powerful warriors, but they were all loose cannons, and didn't really have any real martial arts skills with maybe the exception of a key reprensentative, in say, for example, Obuni. As a result of this, they go on a rampage and disrupt fights, but are quickly picked off by universes that are either more skilled or more tactical, not to mention just more sheerly powerful.

I think some basic planning around stuff like that would have made the battle royale aspect of the TOP more interesting and fulfilling, than just having universe 7 vs everyone, or everyone just instantly losing.

Do you catch my drift?
I don't think it makes sense for universe 10 to have a bunch of tough-yet-dumb fighters. If the fighters were picked by Gowas who is characterized as wise, then wouldn't he be able to see the problem with picking unintelligent fighters?
In the anime specifically at least, its not Gowasu who ends up picking the fighters, and most of the designs for the universe 10 characterss definitely reflect a physicality to them.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:10 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: No that's just the anime being offensively stupid. The manga is bland & soulless because it fails to elicit any emotion period.

Emotion is more than a mushiness, it's excitement or a feeling of intrigue or even tension none of which I feel when reading most of Toyotaro's stuff. Exceptions being the earlier chapters along with Goku vs Merged Zamasu which remains one of the best fights of the modern run.
Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Die

Nah its fine, I make stupid Split puns all the time at work.

If some one could combine the anime and manga, they'd probably get a decent product. Not anything amazing, but good enough to warrant its existence.
1. The appeal of the u6 arc is that it's the least tense arc we've had since the original Dragon Ball. I find the gags funny, and it brings a smile to my face to see all of Goku's friends cheer when he wins.
2. I feel suspense throughout the entire FT arc. When Bulma tells Trunks to come home safe, but he ends up staying in the future as Goku and Vegeta escape, I feel the failure Goku and Vegeta feel. The final fight makes me tense up like the original Dragon Ball would.
3. The recruitment arc in the manga is good. It establishes all of the themes of the ToP arc, and it shows all of the important characters without dragging on for too long. In the ToP I liked the panel at the end of 34 where it showed all of the fighters from u7 and their unnerved expressions after they just watched a universe get erased. I got movie 8 vibes when Kale was bullying the members of the other universes, and it was sad when Cabbe sacrificed himself. Cabbe also had a nice moment with Vegeta before he went out.

Well, these are my emotional responses to the series. You can explain why you don't think they were there if you want.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:26 pm

prince212 wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
It is an ideal we in our own reality we keep striving for every decade, keeping our individuality and unique cultures, but learning to live in harmony and brotherly love for each other to end wars, crimes and injustices.

I think Universe 2 is That Idealism~Fully~Realized.
Man I really Love your words and their meaning .
Those apply good for the anime version of u2 . ... talking about it , universe were supposed to be paired and with opposite energies ... saiyans u7 agresive -u6 pacific .... And the pair of u2 is u11 that seems to be the opposite of love ... plenty of crimes and injustices ( Jiren background) .... I.d.k if that was on purpose though....
Meanwhile manga u2 only message for good that we can take is that Beauty is not a fact and depends on who’s looking , witch is not a bad message neither .
I think t.o.p arc Was plenty of good messages that most of the people can define as cheese , like trust and love , we didn’t have a main enemy antagonist, we just have different ideologies . One proof of the importance of what I’m talking about isn’t that Zeno was decided to eliminate all the universes if the wish was not the right one ...
It’s not that I’m a big fan of this arc. But it’s always good to search for the goodies instead of the baddies..
I appreciate those words Prince212, more then just power, great meaning as to what each universe is about can be found in each universe and as to WHY they have such a higher mortal level is interesting cause they are lessons we in our own realty strive to achieve each and every year to advance our own world and mental maturity. Even with all that went down, U2 had a high mental maturity that allowed them to be trusted in viewing the ToP and not rioting or in choas like what happen in U9 or like would have happen in U7(Rember King Piccolo and Cell?!) or sadly in our own world. U2 is a reminder of what we as humanity continue to strive to achieve to evolve ourselves into become a better people and civilizations to earn such rights.

U11 and U2 made sense in being twins for a few reasons. They both honor the Sentai Live action style of heroics more then anything other style of hero, U11 being like Sentai and U2 being like Sailor Moon, also Sentai inspired. Also they have strong codes of what brings peace and evolved civilization to their respected universes that are also beadrock principles of our own, namely U11's Justice/Law must be enforced while U2 that Love of all brings everlasting peace and happiness. They are principles we strive for too allot in our own realty and when they are achieved in a sensible way they truly do make our society and our personal lives better, so overarching ideals like those remind us of what we want for ourselves too.

Also U2 reminds us that not ALL of use see the Beauty one way, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Their is one clear definition. Some might not consider Ribrianne beautiful, but that is in their minds eye, while others like Me and Many other would consider her Beautiful cause women of many sizes or styles show their own unique beauty, we are not just a one way seeing beauty street. That is a common ideal in our society and one that U2 reminds use exists.

These are many reasons why I liked Universe 2 so much, they reminded me of Life Lessons, Ideals and Personal Goals that our world should be reminded of to make it better. :)
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Jesus-is Lord
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jesus-is Lord » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Even though I don't agree with what everything toyotaro has done in the tournament, I think he has done a okay job. I really like the character personalities, the more realistic showing of violence, the not-so laid back mood, and some neat fights. I feel like the anime was more hype, but that may be due to the fact that it was new and ahead. Oh and I also prefer how the manga keeps a more consistent power scale, lol. I've been very impressed with the ToP manga and wished it was adapted. Because my concerns (character waist) would have been very subdued if if had an anime to add that filler.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:34 am

Master Roshi being treated THE WAY HE DID IN THE MANGA is even/WAY more outrageous and illogical than what he did in the anime.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:08 am

Green_Goblin wrote:Master Roshi being treated THE WAY HE DID IN THE MANGA is even/WAY more outrageous and illogical than what he did in the anime.
It's no more outrageous than Freeza being able to catch up to Goku in 4 months.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:10 am

sintzu wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:Master Roshi being treated THE WAY HE DID IN THE MANGA is even/WAY more outrageous and illogical than what he did in the anime.
I never said that is not outrageous, just not that absurd as Roshi's jump to the front lines. The REAL front lines.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:22 am

Green_Goblin wrote:I never said that is not outrageous, just not that absurd as Roshi's jump to the front lines. The REAL front lines.
It's absurd but not surprising as everything post BOG has been aiming for fan service, regardless of it making sense or not. Roshi's episode was pretty popular so the next logical thing is to have him do something even bigger like fighting Jiren. Roshi's inclusion as a whole doesn't make sense at all as these are the strongest fighters in their universes yet somehow Roshi is holding his own despite nearly losing the tournament to Kid Goku back in the day.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:43 am

sintzu wrote:
It is. Freeza is a prodigy mutant that never trained in his life. Goku had years of training under his belt from Roshi, Popo, King Kai, battle against Vegeta (near death boost) etc and couldn't beat Freeza until going SS. It stands to reason Freeza's gains in training will be considerably more compared to Goku.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:48 am

sintzu wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:I never said that is not outrageous, just not that absurd as Roshi's jump to the front lines. The REAL front lines.
It's absurd but not surprising as everything post BOG has been aiming for fan service, regardless of it making sense or not. Roshi's episode was pretty popular so the next logical thing is to have him do something even bigger like fighting Jiren. Roshi's inclusion as a whole doesn't make sense at all as these are the strongest fighters in their universes yet somehow Roshi is holding his own despite nearly losing the tournament to Kid Goku back in the day.
To be honest, I think the best Roshi episode of the tournament was episode 107, which actually focused far more on Roshi being out of his element and barely surviving, over episode 105, which I still consider a candidate for worst episode of the TOP.

107's handling of Roshi was far more tactful. He was tactically smart, but physically incapable of matching up to the fighters around him, having to resort to his own unique abilities in order to survive. To me, thats far more in line with Roshi's character as a retired warrior, as well as his final training sub plot that was touched upon in the recruitment.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:51 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It stands to reason Freeza's gains in training will be considerably more compared to Goku.
For Goku to reach SsjB's level of power it took him nearly 2 decades of intense training with multiple masters AND near death battles yet Freeza reached it in just 4 months with non of that ? I don't care what kind of prodigy he is, that's just lazy and rushed writing. They could've simply had a flashback to Sorbet and Tagoma reviving him shortly after the battle with Cell and had him spend all the years leading up to his rematch with Goku training in solitude where no one could sense him. At least that would've given him a decade or so worth of training.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:57 am

Freeza at least is a mutant of an unknown type of alien that is as strong as he is because of that mutation. So even if 4 months is such a weird timeframe and Freeza's mutation it is never explained it is not such a stretch because we were introduced to Freeza's incredible power from the beginning and had at least somewhat of an explanation. "He is a mutant" opens up the door to whatever the writer wants.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"