What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Omniboy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:03 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Jiren can't have it both ways. He can't talk about not wanting be responsible for the erasure of a universe, yet he tries to eliminate fighters from other universes, and by virtue, increasing the other universe's chances of being erased. Once you've eliminated any other fighter from any other universe, you've contributed to the possible erasure of the universe they're from. There's no going back on that.
If I recall, it was after Belmond promised Jiren his wish that he became okay with eliminating other fighters. It's initially before he learned of the reward that he protested erasing others.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What’s everyone’s opinion on how the manga has so far handled the Universe Survival arc compared to the anime?

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Zen Yabuki wrote: I don't really see how Jiren's really any better in the manga right now. He isn't standing around, but he's doing all of nothing just the same. We still don't know his wish yet, and at this point in the anime, we learned that he had a wish in mind as well.
Jiren said that he didn't want to be responsible for the erasure of other universes. In the Tournament of Power so far, he has only attempted to eliminate fighters that directly threaten him, and he spends the rest of his efforts protecting his team. u11 has all 10 fighters in, and you can see Dyspo informing Jiren of the biggest threats to his team in multiple chapters.

This is consistent characterization, and it shows that Jiren is trying to win by numbers. This is a major point to manga Jiren imo.
Jiren can't have it both ways. He can't talk about not wanting be responsible for the erasure of a universe, yet he tries to eliminate fighters from other universes, and by virtue, increasing the other universe's chances of being erased. Once you've eliminated any other fighter from any other universe, you've contributed to the possible erasure of the universe they're from. There's no going back on that.
He's eliminated 1 fighter, and that fighter pushed him to the very edge of the arena. It was Hit or Jiren at that point, and he chose himself.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:00 am

The more I think about it, the more I begin to believe that the manga's iteration is better. As much as I love the anime's ToP arc and the additions the anime integrated into its storyline, the manga just seems better to me. The anime has too much stupid things going on and it just makes me facepalm or cringe. Its just so dumb. Whether inconsistencies (which I think is a production probably thorough communication of the writers) or random things coming out of nowhere, it's just dumb and i'm not too fond of it. At this point of where the manga's at, the anime finally begins to pick up. Episodes 108-118 were fantastic episodes in the anime.

KeKeKe

Post by KeKeKe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:49 pm

I like both versions and each one has its highs and lows, but the best one for me is the anime version because there were many fighters who got some time to shine in the Tournament of Power, so we got to see more of them in action, while in the manga version most of them (with a few exceptions) were eliminated either offscreen or rather quickly without having the opportunity to properly (if at all) show their power.

I'm quite disappointed that warriors like Jimeze, Narirama, Caway, Majora, Jilcol, Murichim, Gamisaras, Damon and Dercori were eliminated quite quickly. :( At least Ribrianne was defeated much earlier than in the anime and that is a plus for me! :lol:

Maybe I'm dreaming a lot and having my expectations too high, but I'm still hoping that at least Maji Kayo, Ganos, Obuni, Nigrisshi and Shosa will have a more significant role in the tournament during the next chapters, but I have a bad feeling about that...

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 pm

sintzu wrote:The manga so far is more consistant, doesn't waste time on characters like Rebrianne, doesn't force Goku into everything and has far better pacing than the anime did.
You still think so after this garbage chapter that just came out? They literally just wasted a plethora of characters for no good reason other than Kale can't control herself by taking out her own teammates like Magetta and the U6 Namekians but somehow she has the frame of mind to not kill her opponents.

Jeeze just God awful story telling.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 pm

omaro34 wrote:
sintzu wrote:The manga so far is more consistant, doesn't waste time on characters like Rebrianne, doesn't force Goku into everything and has far better pacing than the anime did.
You still think so after this garbage chapter that just came out? They literally just wasted a plethora of characters for no good reason other than Kale can't control herself by taking out her own teammates like Magetta and the U6 Namekians but somehow she has the frame of mind to not kill her opponents.

Jeeze just God awful story telling.
He didn't waste a plethora of characters. He wasted at max 5. The other 18 or so had little potential to be interesting.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:49 pm

As far as the sense of constant chaos and speed, manga wins.

The only thing I can give the anime is the Goku vs Jiren fights, Goku vs Kefla, MAYBE Goku vs the Saiyan girls, Hit vs Dyspo and Vegeta and Roshi vs Frost.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 am

Everything about it was better in the anime IMO. I don't like how more characters are even more useless than they were in the anime. The ridiculous Kale crap. I have never liked Toyotaro's take on the story and the ToP is no exception.

Well actually I think the manga handled Ribrianne way better. I think the intention of both was that her power varied depending on her confidence in her beauty/love. As in, the manga did a better job of portraying that her power depended on her emotions. Oh, and the manga got rid of her sooner so that was nice.
Omniboy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Jiren can't have it both ways. He can't talk about not wanting be responsible for the erasure of a universe, yet he tries to eliminate fighters from other universes, and by virtue, increasing the other universe's chances of being erased. Once you've eliminated any other fighter from any other universe, you've contributed to the possible erasure of the universe they're from. There's no going back on that.
If I recall, it was after Belmond promised Jiren his wish that he became okay with eliminating other fighters. It's initially before he learned of the reward that he protested erasing others.
Which is incredibly selfish and strange for somebody who is supposed to be portrayed as a hero.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:51 am

omaro34 wrote:You still think so after this garbage chapter that just came out?
Toyotaro really dropped the ball with that as so many characters were wasted and that's not counting what he wasted before. I understand not being able to do things like the anime as it'd take too long but he shouldn't have went this far.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:53 am

sintzu wrote:
omaro34 wrote:You still think so after this garbage chapter that just came out?
Toyotaro really dropped the ball with that as so many characters were wasted and that's not counting what he wasted before. I understand not being able to do things like the anime as it'd take too long but he shouldn't have went this far.
I have to disagree. Kale in this chapter gave me old Broly vibes and made me actually invested in the character.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:06 am

PFM18 wrote:
Which is incredibly selfish and strange for somebody who is supposed to be portrayed as a hero.
Well that's the point, ain't it? When we first meet Jiren in the manga, he is introduced as someone who has a strong moral conviction, never even killing bad guys. He won't even participate in the tournament even though his universe can be erased. The purpose of us finding out that Jiren will participate for the reward, is for us to question his moral conviction, as well as just how important this wish is to him and what it could be. Also to make a statement about what type of person he truly is, or to make us question what type of person he is.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:36 am

The manga gave us no reason why Quitela took someone like Shantza or Ganos into his team. Heck even Dercori did nothing besides throwing some punches.

In the anime they all served a purpose. Ganos had a transformation and got a memorable fight with Roshi. Shantza was shown to make illusions of erased fighters to trap his opponents.

Now in the manga, did U4 have no leader at all? Why did Toyotaro made Quitela the 2nd strongest GoD to Beerus, if this meant nothing for their ToP rivalry?

Disappointment.

Monna

Post by Monna » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:50 am

The manga version of this arc is horrible. Pretty much 95% of the fighters feel completely pointless. This isn't a battle royal... this is a nightmare.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:00 am

Bergamo wrote:I have to disagree. Kale in this chapter gave me old Broly vibes and made me actually invested in the character.
I could be remembering this wrong but didn't she result in 3-4 universes getting wiped out ? I get trying to make her look strong but that was a bit overkill.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 am

The manga version is just incredibly rushed and takes away the very premise of the Tournament, which was requested by Goku to Zeno (or rather, reminded of) just so he could fight warriors from all the universes. Which he actually did in the anime, unlike in the manga where he just fights the Pride Troopers and literally exchanges two punches with Kale.
The manga feels chaotic, sure, but at the expense of making it feel like only 4 minutes at best have passed since the beginning of the tournament, and U6 alone eliminated more than half of the fighters in the arena. It is just horrible. It’s like Toyotaro is making it bad on purpose. What was even the point in making an 80 men tournament if you only want to use Hit, U6 Saiyans, Ribrianne and some of the Pride Troopers from the other universes? I didn’t expect Toyotaro to be able to make as many characters from the other universes as the anime interesting, but I was still expecting something.
While under Toriyama’s pen I am sure the pacing would be in the middle between the manga and the anime, I am sure the storytelling would have been more similar to the anime’s, which had gags and explored more of the personality of the fighters, in a similar way to what Toriyama always did in his manga, where even the minor characters had something going on for them (remember all the characters appearing in the tournaments, King Piccolo’s minions, Cui, Pui Pui, Yakon...).

I still expect Toyotaro to at least deliver a nice last fight against Jiren, but the whole manga ToP arc has already been ruined.

It is also funny how in the trailer for the movie, Goku mentions he is fired up because he saw how many awesome fighters there are in the other universes and, while the same sentence can still work in the manga, it is nowhere near as effective as it is in the anime, where Goku actually fought lots of fighters in a big, important tournament where writers actually took their time to showcase as much as possible from each universe, making us care for all of them. Which is also why the ending of the arc, episode 131, is so damn effective. Because we as viewers grew fond of the universes, and when they were restored and shown alive and happy, those were powerful scenes.

In conclusion, the anime version of the Tournament of Power makes it feel like a super big and important event, which it actually is considering the stakes and the fact it is the first multiversal tournament ever held. The same can’t be said for the manga, I’m sorry. And with the latest chapter, only U6, U7 and U11 are left alive so I can say this with certainty, even if the arc isn’t over there.
I may argue that the tournament ended up like that in the manga because Toyotaro was forced to wrap it up before December so that he can focus on the Broly story, to also hype up the movie. Which is further confirmation of how the manga is just a promotional tool for the main Dragon Ball Super story, which is the animated one.
That’s a shame because while I am not a big fan of Toyotaro’s manga, I liked how he actually took his time to tell the Future Trunks arc in his own pace, and I expected his ToP rendition to be much longer but we now know it’s not the case.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:27 am

Well, since the latest chapter is still untranslated and only Chinese leaks are available, but I'm still in shock over it.

[spoiler]LSSj Kale single-handedly retires like 4 universes all on her own, then gets beaten into unconsciousness by Tupper. FUCKING TUPPER.

Image[/spoiler]

All I gotta say is that's... bold! Real bold.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:36 am

Saturnine wrote:Well, since the latest chapter is still untranslated and only Chinese leaks are available, but I'm still in shock over it.

[spoiler]LSSj Kale single-handedly retires like 4 universes all on her own, then gets beaten into unconsciousness by Tupper. FUCKING TUPPER.

Image[/spoiler]

Its is actually translated already :D

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:50 am

IM21 wrote:
Saturnine wrote:Well, since the latest chapter is still untranslated and only Chinese leaks are available, but I'm still in shock over it.

Image[/spoiler]

Its is actually translated already :D
Ok then, I'll seek it out. The thing I wrote about required only looking at the panels :P

But yeah, it's quite something, wouldn't you say?

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:12 am

Saturnine wrote:
Ok then, I'll seek it out. The thing I wrote about required only looking at the panels :P

But yeah, it's quite something, wouldn't you say?
well, lets just say not everyone is gonna like it :D

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 am

I don't like it at all when compared to the anime. And this disgrace of Kale not just getting hit but even almost ringed out by some NPC Pride Trooper just so Caulifla has to fuse with an unconscious Kale, which is even worse for me is the cherry on top of all that. This tournament does it not for me at all and just because some people get more of a Battle Royal feeling from the manga version because of the way it is composed I cannot really find anything that makes the tradeoff worth for me.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"