DBS Manga vs Anime Differences

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: DBS Manga vs Anime Differences

Post by Bergamo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 pm

ricky84 wrote:Where in the manga does he say this? Do you have a source to post?
"She's already losing power and is nearly at her limit."
Vegeta says this in the chapter. I'm not going to post a screenshot, because it's free on the viz website. If you don't believe me then go read the chapter yourself.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:18 pm

I’d like to point the differences into roshi performance anime vs manga .
In the anime he was overpowered to the point of being able to pull 3 mafubas . In the past he died just pulling one against a weaker enemy .
In the manga he was “overmindered” to the point of being able to show us a technique that in the past was totally unexpected when he couldn’t help against stronger enemies .
Both of them developments came here in t.o.p arc , out of the blue, with no signals of previous training.
I liked them I’m a roshi fan , and I think for him living on an island and being retired is the perfect place to train your mind
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm

prince212 wrote:I’d like to point the differences into roshi performance anime vs manga .
In the anime he was overpowered to the point of being able to pull 3 mafubas . In the past he died just pulling one against a weaker enemy .
In the manga he was “overmindered” to the point of being able to show us a technique that in the past was totally unexpected when he couldn’t help against stronger enemies .
Both of them developments came here in t.o.p arc , out of the blue, with no signals of previous training.
I liked them I’m a roshi fan , and I think for him living on an island and being retired is the perfect place to train your mind
Wrong, in the manga he was overpowered, because he managed to keep up with someone billions times faster and stronger than himself, he even forced Jiren to block, doesn't matter if he has UI or not, he is still too slow and weak to keep up with Jiren, as if power and speed were nothing and Roshi is the experienced one even though there are many older characters than him who couldn't move like him. Roshi did it without any kind of training in the manga like you said, but in the anime he had actually trained, stated by Goku and shown too, so it makes sense he could pull off 3 mafubas since he is much stronger now.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Amir wrote:
prince212 wrote:I’d like to point the differences into roshi performance anime vs manga .
Wrong, in the manga he was overpowered, because he managed to keep up with someone billions times faster and stronger than himself, he even forced Jiren to block, doesn't matter if he has UI or not, he is still too slow and weak to keep up with Jiren, as if power and speed were nothing and Roshi is the experienced one even though there are many older characters than him who couldn't move like him. Roshi did it without any kind of training in the manga like you said, but in the anime he had actually trained, stated by Goku and shown too, so it makes sense he could pull off 3 mafubas since he is much stronger now.
I’m sorry , I didn’t mean to bring to this nice thread that anime vs manga war .
I just said my opinions , I’m not gonna say that you’re are wrong
My interpretation is based on the comments in the chapter , so I think roshi in the manga is not about strength, is something else . For me is clear , but I respect your opinion.
But thanks , I didn’t remember roshi trained hard in the anime to become that stronger .

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:17 am

prince212 wrote:
Amir wrote:
I’m sorry , I didn’t mean to bring to this nice thread that anime vs manga war .
I just said my opinions , I’m not gonna say that you’re are wrong
My interpretation is based on the comments in the chapter , so I think roshi in the manga is not about strength, is something else . For me is clear , but I respect your opinion.
But thanks , I didn’t remember roshi trained hard in the anime to become that stronger .
It's ok no worries. More discussion the better. In all honestly, I liked the anime version and using the Mafuba 3 times didn't mean that Roshi was overpowered. At this point, Roshi's stamina increased a lot through training before the ToP. Both the anime and manga had their own ways to make Roshi relevant. The anime version had more emotion and detail. It made you feel bad that Roshi may actually die and if he did, he wouldn't be able to be revived since it'd be a natural death. The anime handled it better but the manga had a throwback to all of Goku's past trainers and I really liked that because it is consistent with the next step in Goku's evolution with UI.

Roshi trained both in the anime and manga. In the manga, Roshi didn't move faster than Jiren to dodge those punches as I said. He anticipated the punches and moved out of the way before the punches even started. He's not better than Hit with Time Lag. He's not using pure speed. Roshi surprised Jiren a bit. To Jiren, Roshi is a fly. A fly can be annoying for a bit but is eventually defeated. If Jiren uses even a fraction of his full power, he can kill Roshi and then be disqualified. It's about ki control. Whis was able to grap the wings of a bee with his hand, even though he's very powerful. That shows control.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:01 am

shadowfox87 wrote: Roshi trained both in the anime and manga.
I don’t remember those trainings , so if you refresh me them , I will appreciate it .
Rings a bell in the anime some kind of anti perv. Training in that teinshinhan dojo chapter .. I’ll rewatch it because now I’m curious and I recall good stuff there . Honestly i don’t use to rewatch the anime but that particular one could be worth.
Manga talking .. man I re read it multiple times and I don’t remember , roshi interactions were on the mafuba lessons , chapter 21? And barely nothing on the pre-tournament..

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:12 am

prince212 wrote:
I don’t remember those trainings , so if you refresh me them , I will appreciate it .
Rings a bell in the anime some kind of anti perv. Training in that teinshinhan dojo chapter .. I’ll rewatch it because now I’m curious and I recall good stuff there . Honestly i don’t use to rewatch the anime but that particular one could be worth.
Manga talking .. man I re read it multiple times and I don’t remember , roshi interactions were on the mafuba lessons , chapter 21? And barely nothing on the pre-tournament..
Yea, Goku had a small spar with Roshi when he was being mind controlled. Goku said that Roshi has been training secretly and has gotten a lot stronger. Basically, this training happened off-screen, but we do know that all of the fighters did some kind of training before the ToP.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:15 am

shadowfox87 wrote:
prince212 wrote:
Yea, Goku had a small spar with Roshi when he was being mind controlled. Goku said that Roshi has been training secretly and has gotten a lot stronger. Basically, this training happened off-screen, but we do know that all of the fighters did some kind of training before the ToP.
We also saw some of his training at Korin's place, or it was at least implied.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:30 am

JazzMazz wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:
prince212 wrote: I don’t remember those trainings , so if you refresh me them , I will appreciate it .
We also saw some of his training at Korin's place, or it was at least implied.
Yes , here’s a 2 min clip of his final training there
https://youtu.be/pHn5RBbh5wk
I didn’t find any manga direct message of roshi training or else , but I keep thinking on the idea of the differences anime-manga concerning roshi . One evolve a lot in strength and the other in how to move and don’t just relying on strength ( that far cry ultra instinct) , totally different approach, both of them making roshi have an important roll in t.o.p arc .