Should Piccolo have trained with Whis?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Should Piccolo have trained with Whis?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am

Screw it! I'm just gonna do what other people do and that is cut to the chase.

Would it have made Piccolo all the more relevant in the series had he gone and trained with Whis? Would it have made sense if he did, or would it be kinda out of character for him? I know it would've made him a lot more powerful than he already is, just to cover up for all you, power scalers.
Caulifla best girl! :)

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Should Piccolo have trained with Whis?

Post by BlueVegerot » Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 am

Whis wouldn't train him unless he felt like Piccolo could one day Rival Beerus which is probably not happening since he doesn't have bs saiyan genetics. Gohan on the other hand should have trained under Whis after Revival F, by the time of the ToP, he would have been close to God of destruction level if he was dilligent about it

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 23, 2018 10:46 am

Yes. Piccolo needs to get stronger. Hell, he belongs to the warrior-type of the Namekuseijins, so it's common sense that he should train and get stronger.

This could even mean that he could unlock a transformation, in this case, the blue-eyed form. A possible equivalent of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan for Namekuseijins (or just stick with the red-eyed form). But oh well, let's give endless and unnecessary transformations for Saiyans, who wouldn't like, right? :roll:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Wed May 23, 2018 11:02 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Would it have made Piccolo all the more relevant in the series had he gone and trained with Whis?
Yes, however that's precisely why it didn't happen. Piccolo is as relevant as Toriyama wanted him to be.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:"Would it have made sense if he did, or would it be kinda out of character for him? I know it would've made him a lot more powerful than he already is, just to cover up for all you, power scalers.
It depends when. Are we talking about when Goku and Vegeta first started training with Whis, because if so, no. Piccolo knows he can't keep up with Goku or Vegeta and would slow them down. They had just tapped into God ki and that's what their training likely focused in. Besides, Piccolo has his on style of training. Training WITH someone, he may do. Training UNDER someone would likely be done only when necessary...like lets say the TOP. The problem with the TOP is that it was taking place two days after Zeno decided to have it.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed May 23, 2018 11:21 am

TysonWine wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Would it have made Piccolo all the more relevant in the series had he gone and trained with Whis?
Yes, however that's precisely why it didn't happen. Piccolo is as relevant as Toriyama wanted him to be.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:"Would it have made sense if he did, or would it be kinda out of character for him? I know it would've made him a lot more powerful than he already is, just to cover up for all you, power scalers.
It depends when. Are we talking about when Goku and Vegeta first started training with Whis, because if so, no. Piccolo knows he can't keep up with Goku or Vegeta and would slow them down. They had just tapped into God ki and that's what their training likely focused in. Besides, Piccolo has his on style of training. Training WITH someone, he may do. Training UNDER someone would likely be done only when necessary...like lets say the TOP. The problem with the TOP is that it was taking place two days after Zeno decided to have it.
They could write a good reason but they have take their time with it and write it well.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:28 am

BlueVegerot wrote:Whis wouldn't train him unless he felt like Piccolo could one day Rival Beerus which is probably not happening since he doesn't have bs saiyan genetics. Gohan on the other hand should have trained under Whis after Revival F, by the time of the ToP, he would have been close to God of destruction level if he was dilligent about it
This. /end thread

Yeah Whis wouldn't train Piccolo unless he saw him as worthy and Piccolo just isn't that strong nor will he ever be

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 pm

I think it's out of character for him to just sit around doing nothing, despite knowing the size of threats that are out there. I don't expect him to be there 24/7 like Goku and Vegeta but at this point he should've done something that'll put him at a level to defend himself and earth.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu May 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Well, Piccolo is nowhere near the level at which Whis would consider training him (probably), but then again, when he started training Vegeta, they were quite close to each other in power. I'll just remind you that Piccolo was enough to "kill" SSj2 Gohan in a matter of seconds. That's amazingly impressive, and I'm really happy for Piccolo. It would be great if he got some sort of transformation and competed with the god forms though.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Thu May 24, 2018 5:45 pm

It would have made sense if he did but he is not relevant enough to train with Whis and thats why he did not.
BlueVegerot wrote:Whis wouldn't train him unless he felt like Piccolo could one day Rival Beerus which is probably not happening since he doesn't have bs saiyan genetics. Gohan on the other hand should have trained under Whis after Revival F, by the time of the ToP, he would have been close to God of destruction level if he was dilligent about it
Whis only saw potential in Goku not Gohan,he trained Vegeta because he bribed him.
Also if Gohan can barely handle Piccolo's training,then he has no business going anywhere near Whis.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Thu May 24, 2018 6:55 pm

Whatever wrote:It would have made sense if he did but he is not relevant enough to train with Whis and thats why he did not.
Whis only saw potential in Goku not Gohan,he trained Vegeta because he bribed him.
Also if Gohan can barely handle Piccolo's training,then he has no business going anywhere near Whis.
He struggled with piccolos training intially since he was out of shape but then clearly he was fine after cause he made absurd jump in power overnight. Also as i said gohan would have to be dilligent about training under whis, if he did whis would take him especially since goku and vegeta would vouch that his natural talent is far above theirs. If gohan slacked off then whis could drop him but beerus clearly wants a challenger and if gohan can achieve that then why not take a flier

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri May 25, 2018 12:53 am

That would be such a cool concept. I loved the whole "Namekian God" stuff that got tossed around in the early days of Super. Unfortunately, Super has shown us they don't really know how to handle Piccolo. Which is unfortunate

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Fri May 25, 2018 4:31 am

Since the god ki was introduced, I've been wondering myself why none of the characters learn how two control except Gokuh and Vegeta. Ok, I understand Roshi, he's too old for this new stuff, or Krillin that lost interest in martial arts until the ToP. But the rest? Why aren't Ten Shin Han, Piccolo or Gohan learning it?

We know for sure that is not something exclusive to saiyans, and it is a way more efficient way or managing one's ki. It amazes me that they created such a convincing idea to have vasts power ups for classic characters, then they reject using it without a proper in-universe explanation.

P.S: When Piccolo said that, instead of training, he would meditate before the U6 tournament, it killed me :lol:

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun May 27, 2018 6:05 pm

It's funny, some cliched grey alien in a spandex suit coupled with his rotund mustached commander who seems to be plagued with an arteriovenous malformation can be deemed "god tier" quite easily, yet the famed Child of Katas prodigy from the powerful Namekian species can't even make it past a level that became obsolete back in the Buu arc? It's true that environmental and biological factors could have played a factor in their development, but the same could be easily applied to Piccolo. With a show like this, there is no "maxing out" or reaching some "unbreakable" ceiling of power -- so long as there are new stories to be told.

Try giving someone else some god ki, or a potential unlock, or a powerful multiplying ability like the Kaioken who isn't a Saiyan. I think some significant inroads could made in closing that pesky gap which I feel is artificially propped up more often than not. You could maybe try diversifying the mechanics system of combat so that Piccolo's magic can be used more creatively and efficiently; put that fabled "intelligence" of his to use. Do you know the kind of applications that would be made possible with a technique that's capable of materialising literally anything solid that the user thinks of? Kami's ethereal understanding of creation and all of its intricacies might begin to have a serious tangible impact on events in that case.

supercat

Post by supercat » Wed May 30, 2018 12:57 am

With Piccolo's current persona, he should not have the privilege to train with a teacher of Whis' caliber. Fooling around with Pan, playing babysitter, and hauling groceries for ChiChi? Yeah, he's better off getting wrecked by a tiny insect. It's sad really, because Piccolo likely does have potential to be relevant on the power scale, yet he chooses to act like a nobody; if only he had his old mentality.

I would say if anyone should train with Whis, it's Android 17. Already being SSB-tier and all, he should be able to catch up to Super Saiyan Royal Blue Vegeta. Seriously, the guy started off far stronger than a regular SSJ back in Z and was basically able to reach SSB-tier by training alone; now that's potential.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed May 30, 2018 4:01 am

supercat wrote: yet he chooses to act like a nobody; .
Ok, lets be honest here: a character is as strong and relevant as the plot demands them be, which is why a character like 17 is suddenly so strong despite doing nowhere near the same level of intense and god-level training Goku and Vegeta did (pretty much confirmed in the manga as far as I heard). The reason you see him do all this comical tasks is because the writers want him to be present but have no idea what else to do with him.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed May 30, 2018 6:38 pm

If Jiren can train by himself to become as strong as he did then so can Piccolo.

I'm still waiting for him to wonder if there is anything in the Namekian Book of Legends. There should be something.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed May 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Everyone on the Universe 7 team (Except Freeza) should've trained with Whis to prepare for the Tournament of Power to have others harness God Ki except Goku and Vegeta.

Whis wouldn't normally train anyone, but with the threat of erasure, Beerus could've ordered him to train the team to have a fighting chance. Send them all off to the Time Chamber and bam, everyone has a massive boost in power due to God Ki without stupid reasons of strength increase *cough* Roshi *cough*
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu May 31, 2018 3:46 pm

Michsi wrote:
Ok, lets be honest here: a character is as strong and relevant as the plot demands them be, which is why a character like 17 is suddenly so strong despite doing nowhere near the same level of intense and god-level training Goku and Vegeta did (pretty much confirmed in the manga as far as I heard). The reason you see him do all this comical tasks is because the writers want him to be present but have no idea what else to do with him.
Whis' training actually isn't that special since Whis himself lampshaded in Resurrection 'F' that Goku and Vegeta can get stronger on their own by training in a park. So this who 'god-training' is really fandom, especially since most of the training is just them sparring against Whis or themselves.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu May 31, 2018 4:50 pm

With or without Whis, making Piccolo grow stronger would surely make him more relevant in the fights lol

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 31, 2018 6:02 pm

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Whis' training actually isn't that special since Whis himself lampshaded in Resurrection 'F' that Goku and Vegeta can get stronger on their own by training in a park. So this who 'god-training' is really fandom, especially since most of the training is just them sparring against Whis or themselves.
He is literary the strongest being in U7. It's been stated already that having a strong training partner is more beneficial than training alone. By god-level training I meant that they were going up against someone of that level of power, not that there was something special about how Whis was training them.

Anyway, plot determines power, and Toriyama himself stated that DB is the type of story where anything is possible. He could have Choautzu reach SSB level next if he wanted to.