My Complaints on Episode 64

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

My Complaints on Episode 64

Post by Fionordequester » Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 pm

First and foremost, I don't feel like that scythe technique should have given Goku and Vegeta anywhere close to the amount of trouble it ended up giving them. Like, ok...a bunch of Goku Black clouds come down from the scar in the sky, and surround them.

Ok...but...the scar is only in one place; and the clones dissipate after just one solid blow. So to me, the answer seems like a simple 2-step process. You...

1) Blast the clones away just like before, then break out before they reform again.

2) Move away from the giant scar in the sky! Fly away from it, lure Black to another part of the city, then continue the beat down Vegeta was giving before (didn't seem like Black's actual power went up...he just got a new technique).

Instead, Goku somehow blunders into the circle of clones (despite the fact he was supposed to be fighting Zamasu). And then they just sort of...sit there. No attempts whatsoever to break away. Like...why? What's stopping them?

And that's discounting my confusion on how Goku even got trapped in that ring to start with. One scene, he's squaring off against Zamasu, next moment, Zamasu has somehow broken away from Goku without any explanation, then scene after that...Goku's somehow trapped where Vegeta is? Like, what? Was there some scenes cut out, or something?

Any thoughts on this?
Last edited by Fionordequester on Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: My Complaints on Episode 64

Post by BlueVegerot » Wed May 23, 2018 10:16 pm

Watching episode 64, you would have no idea why they fused. Black should have just told zamasu to fuck off back to their hideout while he killed all of them.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 pm

In terms of the characters within a story like this making the perfect, most rational, decisions is not common and sometimes it is a concession that must be made for a more coherent story. There's countless examples in DB of times where you ask yourself "why don't the characters do X and Y" but it still ends up making a good story. Is this one of those times? I don't know for sure. I wonder how the arc would have been received had Goku and Vegeta beaten the Black clones and Zamasu got sealed away by the Mafuba, and that was where the arc ended.

I feel that almost anything for an ending instead of the one we got would have been better. Don't get me wrong I still love this arc and rank it in my top 5 arcs in the franchise.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 pm

PFM18 wrote:In terms of the characters within a story like this making the perfect, most rational, decisions is not common and sometimes it is a concession that must be made for a more coherent story. There's countless examples in DB of times where you ask yourself "why don't the characters do X and Y" but it still ends up making a good story. Is this one of those times? I don't know for sure. I wonder how the arc would have been received had Goku and Vegeta beaten the Black clones and Zamasu got sealed away by the Mafuba, and that was where the arc ended.
Well, sure...but then why not just find a more logical way of moving the story forward? Like...maybe the scar sucks Vegeta in, and traps him inside. Then Goku would be forced to fight Black alone; when he has not powered up the way Vegeta has? And then Zamasu takes that chance to go after Trunks, while Goku's busy with Black?

There ARE other ways around this, man!
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:44 am

I don't feel like that scythe technique should have given Goku and Vegeta anywhere close to the amount of trouble it ended up giving them
Two battered Goku and Vegeta, I might add.
Ok...but...the scar is only in one place;
They could have tried to get away from the scar, but Black's negative energy was messing up Goku's teleport technique.
and the clones dissipate after just one solid blow.
The clones were also able to inflict serious damage on Goku and Vegeta, so they were not weak. In addition, they had the ability to regenerate.
1) Blast the clones away just like before, then break out before they reform again.
The problem is that not only did the clones have the ability to regenerate any damage taken, but as soon as Goku and Vegeta got rid of a wave of clones, the scar just summoned another, so effectively they had no way to get out, because the scar was too quick in its production of new clones. And it was way too risky. They saw that the clones were able to regenerate from that purple cloud, so even if they blasted a wave away, they couldn't have known for certain that those clones, who apparently were blasted to pieces, wouldn't try to ambush them (since, again, they could regenerate).
2) Move away from the giant scar in the sky!
They couldn't break through the endless ranks of clones who were not only strong as hell, but could regenerate any damage taken.
And that's discounting my confusion on how Goku even got trapped in that ring to start with.
I think this is how it played out:

> Black creates his first clones;
> Vegeta is surrounded by those clones;
> Goku looks at Vegeta and sees him surrounded by clones;
> Goku thinks 'Oh crap, Vegeta is outnumbered by those strange clones, I better go help him before he gets overwhelmed';
> Zamasu seizes the opportunity to esacpe in Mai's direction.

Is it headcanon? Yes, It is. Is it an absurd and ridiculous scenario? No, not really. Goku has shown many times that he easily forgets things, so maybe, in rushing to help Vegeta against the clones, he forgot that he was fighting Zamasu (since Zamasu wasn't a true power like Black).