Did the dub make EP 66 clearer?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Did the dub make EP 66 clearer?

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:14 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:However, the fact that Merged Zamasu was able to keep up with Vegito then PROVES that he got an extremely huge boost from that lightning. Since earlier he lost to Goku, and now he was keeping up with Vegito initially. And we all know how much of a boost a potara fusion brings to Goku.
Oh yeah, absolutely. And in doing so, he went from a beautiful, angelic looking God of Creation, to looking like a crazed, warped, Frankenstein-looking monster. And that's the symbolism they were playing with, I think.

Really, if there's anything that hurts Episode 66 more than anything, it's how...rushed it felt. There was a heck of a lot packed into it, with both Vegetto vs. Fused Zamasu AND Trunks's final victory having to share the same 20 minutes of screentime. And while I think they did decently with what they had, the writers still didn't have enough time to make either fight live up to their full potential.

I can easily see the tail-end of Episode 66 being all about how Vegetto is pwnstomping Fused Zamasu, even ending with the Final Kamehameha. Episode 67 rolls around, everyone's standing around thinking they've won...then Zamasu comes spewing out (and I mean literally spewing out). And boy, he's not lookin' good. He's lost entire chunks of his body, he's got a steady trickle of goop melting off of his face, and now you can even the outlines of his skull becoming much more prominent.

At that point, he goes all "Behold! This is a God! To all who glories, glory in this! The Forever Zamasu!" (or something)...at which point, Vegetto keeps hitting him. And hitting him. And hitting him. And hitting, and hitting, and hitting, and hitting, and yada yada yada. No matter what he tries, though, Zamasu just keeps coming back. He comes back looking uglier, sure; but he's still not dying!

Cue Vegetto running out of time earlier than expected, and cue Trunks pulling out his last ditch attack; the Spirit Bomb. He learned it from Gohan (who learned it from Goku), but never used it on account of it being too weak under normal circumstances. But this time, it's just the technique for the job! The problem isn't that Zamasu is too strong. No, Vegetto's already beaten him into the ground enough that his power and body have been thoroughly broken. No, the problem is KILLING him. And that's why Trunks needs a technique that can kill Zamasu WITHOUT killing all the people he's trying to protect!

Hence a huge glowing Spirit Bomb, gathered from the hope, spirit, and kindness of every person Trunks has ever known. A sphere of godly blue light that smites the wicked, but will never harm the innocent. And with it, he throws it into the ground, creating a large enough explosion that it vaporizes every last speck of Zamasu! BOOOM!!!

And that's how you'd do it. Vegetto's power was what made Zamasu vulnerable; but it was the "Power of the Human Spirit" (TM) that ultimately finished the job. because at the end of the day, the arc doesn't just need a logical finishing point. It needs to end in a way that's emotionally fulfilling, as well.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am

I felt the original version made enough sense. The described the Potara retcon well enough. And they explained the whole reason Zamasu was breaking down well too: Zamasu was immortal, Goku Black was not. So his body was not able to cope with that and began to tear down. I even saw some people interpret that when he was hit with that Kamehameha, it would've been enough to kill him had he been mortal, but it only "killed" the mortal half of him. Hence why he started getting all gooey.

I do hope episode 67 explains the Sword of Hope better. That is still one of the most baffling moments of Super by far

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:20 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I do hope episode 67 explains the Sword of Hope better. That is still one of the most baffling moments of Super by far
You really can't explain a moment like that. It purely exists because of Rule of Cool and nothing more.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:I do hope episode 67 explains the Sword of Hope better. That is still one of the most baffling moments of Super by far
You really can't explain a moment like that. It purely exists because of Rule of Cool and nothing more.
Tbh an explanation would take away from it in my opinion. It was a fluke but they deserved it, Trunks deserved that moment.

I don't watch DB for perfect writing and I think #66 is DB at its best!

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Actually...what if Infinite Zamasu came after the Vegetto fight? Rather than after Trunks cut him in half? Like, Vegetto manages to destroy Zamasu's physical body in the same way Trunks did (like, I dunno, Vegetto gathers every speck of him into a ball, and throws it into the sun or something)? He'd split up earlier than expected, with Gowasu noting that the fusion wouldn't do too much good in a protracted fight...

And that's when Infinite Zamasu comes out? He's not quite as strong in terms of raw power...but he's everywhere. He is the universe, now! And with that omnipresentness, he then kills every one else remaining, except for Trunks. And without an after life, everyone's spirit is left to wander in the emptiness of space, with Zamasu bragging about how he will now eradicate even those...

Until Trunks, reaching deep inside, finds a way to gather everyone's spirit together. Zamasu may have taken their mortal lives, but Trunks will be damned if he allows Infinite Zamasu to destroy their souls as well.

And so, he gathers their very spirits, and forges the Sword of Hope from it. Now he's done it! He's forged the sole weapon capable of finally harming even Infinite Zamasu, with the literal life energy of everyone he's fighting to save! Their very lives are his ultimate weapon! It's like Samurai Jack vs. Aku, all over again!

Cue a ton of totally mindtrippy animation as Trunks slowly, but surely, cuts Infinite Zamasu down to size. But once he's done, he finds he's destroyed the entire universe as well. Infinite Zamasu had already merged with it, and everyone's spirit now has nowhere else to go...then that's when Xeno shows up, and...well, not sure what all would be the most satisfying way of going about it.

But yeah, I feel like that's the best way of going about things. Make it clear that Vegetto ultimately was necessary to Zamasu's final defeat; he just wasn't the one to finish the job.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Sanity's_Theif
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sanity's_Theif » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:34 pm

I'm surprised anyone cares about powerscaling enough to label it a bad episode, if Vegito just destroyed Zamasu without a real fight it would've just been boring.

I think it's ok to sacrifice powerscaling to make an episode interesting. I just can't wrap my mind around the people who care about such minute nonsensical things so much so that it destroys episodes for them. I've been thoroughly enjoying this series so far.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:43 am

If you have to sacrifice power-scaling to make a story interesting, you're probably not a good writer.

If you have to sacrifice power-scaling to make a story that still isn't interesting, you're probably episode 66's writer.

The worst part of Super's inconsistency is that it does enable more interesting develooments, it just makes weak scenes even weaker. I also dislike how the alternative always seems to be the worst option a critic can think of - it's bordering on false dichotomy.

Yeah, Vegetto just beating Zamasu without a real fight would be boring. That doesn't mean the only option was to have Vegetto give a worse performance than Goku or Trunks individually. If Vegetto has to fail, you could use the manga where it's still clear that he is above Zamasu. Instead of Zamasu weirdly taking the Final Kamehameha with no injury, having Vegetto defuse before that point (exactly what the manga did).

Or you could have Vegetto win with Zamasu still being able to put up a good fight without it being boring.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!