Goku's screentime

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Goku's screentime

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:06 am

I think the fact Goku is so much present in Super took part in what deserved him,
remember in Z, the fact he was dead or missing a lot of times gave his appearances a lot more impact,
because we were waiting for him and his returns were always great, but for him to return he needs to go away for a bit from time to time don't you agree lol

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Goku's screentime

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:54 am

I think this is a nice twist. Since the fact that he was so much absent in Z, makes Super a nice compensation for it. Where’s he’s always present. I like it. It’s a nice compensation.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:59 am

Eh, it was a very tiresome plot point in Z and the two modern movies. Very tiring. It didn't help that characters continued to cry out his name every 2 minutes too.

Goku having a lot of screen time in DBS at least sells whatever threat there is, if Goku wasn't there it would be like "Oh if Goku was here we'd win" instead he's there and not winning. Like against Jiren in October after Goku lodt R1 we now knew Jiren was indeed the real the deal and the one to best. If Jiren went up against Gohan for example and won that wouldn't have had the same impact.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Eh, it was a very tiresome plot point in Z and the two modern movies. Very tiring. It didn't help that characters continued to cry out his name every 2 minutes too.

Goku having a lot of screen time in DBS at least sells whatever threat there is, if Goku wasn't there it would be like "Oh if Goku was here we'd win" instead he's there and not winning. Like against Jiren in October after Goku lodt R1 we now knew Jiren was indeed the real the deal and the one to best. If Jiren went up against Gohan for example and won that wouldn't have had the same impact.
I think his absent worked in Battle of Gods because we saw him being floored by Beerus. So him coming to the party early really wouldn't have made a different. And when it was revealed that Goku was there and watched his friends and family get their butts kicked, he was punished for it, at least in the movie. Resurrection 'F' played this more straight, but was less contrived about it, especially since Vegeta was with them and their absent only meant they didn't get to fight fodder. It was even less contrived in the retelling since they were with Whis for months even before Freeza was revived, so it isn't like they left last week or something.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:12 pm

The hero-on-hiatus trope was way too overused ever since the Raditz fight, even though it made Goku look like a badass each time he came.
I think it is a nice and needed change to have Goku always present now, and it also fits the plots. If they had used the same trope in Super, they would have had to come with contrived ways to keep Goku outside of the main battles as Toriyama did during the Androids arc. They also cannot always use the same trope, or else the stories would get incredibly predictable.

The trope was also sorta there during BoG and RoF, but it was not quite as much as during DBZ, maybe because they played the whole plots less dramatically or maybe because Goku was actually absent from the main action for very few episodes. Toriyama himself joked about this trope though, when in RoF Krillin commented how Goku always comes at the last moment.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Eh, it was a very tiresome plot point in Z and the two modern movies. Very tiring. It didn't help that characters continued to cry out his name every 2 minutes too.

I agree. I'm tired of seeing characters screaming for Goku to come and save them when he is not there. It was fine during the Saiyan and Namek arcs, but the Android and Buu arcs did it way too much.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:22 pm

emperior wrote:The hero-on-hiatus trope was way too overused ever since the Raditz fight, even though it made Goku look like a badass each time he came.
I think it is a nice and needed change to have Goku always present now, and it also fits the plots. If they had used the same trope in Super, they would have had to come with contrived ways to keep Goku outside of the main battles as Toriyama did during the Androids arc. They also cannot always use the same trope, or else the stories would get incredibly predictable.

The trope was also sorta there during BoG and RoF, but it was not quite as much as during DBZ, maybe because they played the whole plots less dramatically or maybe because Goku was actually absent from the main action for very few episodes. Toriyama himself joked about this trope though, when in RoF Krillin commented how Goku always comes at the last moment.

It was a gag even in Z since Roshi said in the Android Saga that things should be fine since Goku was there from the start. Cue heart virus.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.