Did Gohan suck in the Tournament of Power?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Did Gohan suck in the Tournament of Power?

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm

He was a pretty bad leader because half of his team completely ignored his plan at the start of the tournament while the 4 people who did stick with Gohan's plan ended up being the first 4 eliminated fighters of team Universe 7. He got bullied by Jimeze the yardrat and was having trouble against Bollarator in the exact same episode. He's the only saiyan who didn't get a new form eventhough he said he wanted to get one in the recruitment arc. In his elimination episode he only got 5 minutes of screentime and didn't really do anything impressive.

He did have a great fight with Obuni and the Universe 6 namekians so I wouldn't really say he completely sucked like some people on youtube do but I did expect more from him.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by DestructoDisc on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Did Gohan suck in the Tournament of Power?

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:26 pm

Well, he defeated Dyspo, which is a opponent even Golden Freeza can’t defeat alone. I honestly wasn’t expecting him to defeat God of Destruction level fighters, but someone on the same caliber as Hit and Freeza is very impressive on its own.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 pm

It's pretty easy to suck when nobody with any interest in him leads his episodes. Not planning the arc ahead of time really hurt the entire package. Gohan was such a non-starter they might as well have replaced him with a different character.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:27 pm

I think the ToP was one of his most successful showings. He beat multiple opponents, was in the last 5 remaining fighters for Universe 7, and he learned to avoid the arrogance and cockiness that cost him against Cell and Buu. The fact that part of his team didn't listen to him is on them and the ones who didn't were never going to anyway. And of the ones that remained, only Krillin got eliminated before they decided to split up and that was by a cheap shot.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:36 pm

He did alright but his build up led many to believe he'd do a lot more which he should've after missing out on 2 main arcs.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am

The fact that Toei explicitly kept having the peanut gallery and others say "gohan did so good" like some 5 year old who fell down for the first time on his bike tells you he was pretty meh.

Gohan didn't even to get a round with Jiren. I'm not saying he should have fought and won, I'm saying he deserved a round, because if a character doesn't end up fighting the central antagonist then he isn't really that relevant in Dragon Ball.

I don't expect Gohan to ever do better though, not until Toei gets some actual production teams and writers/directors that don't change every episode

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:04 am

Gohan didn’t do bad in the TOP, he eliminated dyspo which was good in my opinion, he lasted a while also which proves he didn’t do bad in the TOP
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 am

IHaveNoUserName wrote:Gohan didn’t do bad in the TOP, he eliminated dyspo which was good in my opinion, he lasted a while also which proves he didn’t do bad in the TOP
Wasn't Freeza the one who eliminated Dyspo? Gohan just held him back.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 am

Its objectively false to say Gohan did bad in the tournament. The problem is he had way too much build up and it wasn't paid off in the fandom's view.

Had they treated Gohan's return like they treated say Roshi's, he could have gotten one episode, he got many, doing cool shit and that be that. Want proof, His fight aginst Lavenda was pretty well received

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 am

He was pretty meh for the first half of the ToP. Sometime after the Special until his elimination though he was pretty good. Overall he was ok. Problem was Toei made it seem like he was bigger than he really was. I do like that they made him a bit more competent as a fighter though (at least they show it in his fight with Lavender and Dyspo. The Jimizu fight makes him look pretty bad).

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:05 am

DestructoDisc wrote:
IHaveNoUserName wrote:Gohan didn’t do bad in the TOP, he eliminated dyspo which was good in my opinion, he lasted a while also which proves he didn’t do bad in the TOP
Wasn't Freeza the one who eliminated Dyspo? Gohan just held him back.
They both did their part I believe, if they didn’t help each other out they would have been eliminated 100%
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am

I've already given my piece on how Gohan was handled in the Tournament Of Power and I still stand by it:

I thought he did good enough in the tournament itself. He didn't really over perform, but at the same time he didn't really underperform, and in the end, went out on his own terms following his own well thought out plan. He really is the kind of character who thrives more when he has someone to work with, as seen in Episode 118 and with how he worked together with Freeza to take down Dyspo, as supposed to working on his own. I never really asked for much from Gohan from this arc as a whole, but I am a quite sad that this never really went anywhere.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am

No, not at all. He did pretty good, he partecipated and was a key player in some important fights. Didn't do anything too sensational or impressive, that I concede, but I appreciated this as well.
An honest display of his capacity, nothing absurd or overblown like 17.
Perhaps people were expecting him to unlock some new, cool power like he did before, or to be THE major player, so they were disappointed. But, in my opinion, Gohan did good and did it in a conceivable way.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 am

Hugo Boss wrote:Well, he defeated Dyspo, which is a opponent even Golden Freeza can’t defeat alone. I honestly wasn’t expecting him to defeat God of Destruction level fighters, but someone on the same caliber as Hit and Freeza is very impressive on its own.
This.

He also delivered the killing blow to Universe 6 and Obuni's Universe.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:24 am

I guess he didn't do all too bad in the TOP, if you take into account that he hasn't been seriously fighting for a while before that.
Of course because of that he can't be on a top tier level like Goku, Vegeta Toppo Jiren and all the other god tier fighters.
Gohan is still srsly strong even though in comparison he's probably somewhere in the middle class when it came to the TOP.

Even so his fights still failed to impress me for some reason.
Maybe because Gohan gave off such a lacklustre air when it came to fighting. :eh:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I've already given my piece on how Gohan was handled in the Tournament Of Power and I still stand by it:

I thought he did good enough in the tournament itself. He didn't really over perform, but at the same time he didn't really underperform, and in the end, went out on his own terms following his own well thought out plan. He really is the kind of character who thrives more when he has someone to work with, as seen in Episode 118 and with how he worked together with Freeza to take down Dyspo, as supposed to working on his own. I never really asked for much from Gohan from this arc as a whole, but I am a quite sad that this never really went anywhere.
Going out on your own terms is another way of saying 'I'm not good enough to win my fight' or 'I'm just too uselss to continue' and I don't really see it as a good thing.

I know you are thinking that he is taking one for the team and is involving teamwork but in the Tournament of Power, Jiren, Toppo and Dyspo at the end should have won with complete ease so makes the teamwork stuff look completely forced to me. It is just done to somehow make Universe 7 better than Universe 11 when they clearly weren't.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:58 am

Well, he did got over his issues that always made him to be afraid to fight, get mad, rule the fight, get cocky and lose, so I think he did pretty good. Even Beerus congratulated him and by name!

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:22 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I think the ToP was one of his most successful showings. He beat multiple opponents, was in the last 5 remaining fighters for Universe 7, and he learned to avoid the arrogance and cockiness that cost him against Cell and Buu. The fact that part of his team didn't listen to him is on them and the ones who didn't were never going to anyway. And of the ones that remained, only Krillin got eliminated before they decided to split up and that was by a cheap shot.
True. Krillin also broke formation to save 18, and that separation is what got him eliminated.
"Oh dear...."

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:47 am

It was certainly his best outting in Super this far. He had some good moments against the U6 Namekians and against U3. Sacrificing himself to take down Dyspo was great too. I was satisfied with how Gohan was handled. I do hope they continue him down the path of "seeking to make his Ultimate form the strongest in his own way" and not just drop him. But time will tell

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:52 pm

had its eliminations with the universe 6 and universe 10
He was tactical leader of the team what served in his fight with dyspo
gohan defeated one of the strongest in the universe 11
his teamwork with piccolo was quite good
he learned not to lower his guard and found a new reason to be a warrior

I really think it was quite acceptable