I love Toyotaro’s Kale in the DBS Manga...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

I love Toyotaro’s Kale in the DBS Manga...

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 pm

Instead of someone with lowself esteem and insecurity who always looks to Caulifla, she’s basically a badass body guard who looks after Caulifla physically and mentally.
She cares about what happens to Caulifla and even tries not to show off too much of her power for Caulifla’s sake because she wants to keep Caulifla’s pride in tact.

While there is no info to base this off of, i hope the difference in Kale’s character from the anime was due to Toriyama not liking Kale in the anime. We do know that Toyotaro works closer to Toriyama than Toei does. And maybe we’ll get this kind of Kale from the rest of Super, throughout the anime and the manga.

Manga Kale is basically anime Kale with a huge confidence boost. In the anime, Kale’s development has been centered around confidence in herself and since Caulifla has confidence in her, she’s been building her own confidence.

And if the manga really does continue past the DBS animated series, we might just see that change in Kale.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: I love Toyotaro’s Kale in the DBS Manga...

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:27 am

We haven't seen that much from her, but I do like her more than in the anime where she was like Shun from Saint Seiya with all that shyness and mad potential. Ok, nothing at all like Shun, but such a stereotype, like the geeky kid that gets bullied for being shy but gets mad and even beats the principal and the parents.

Also, I like that she is waaaay stronger than Broly, she is blue tier! it doesn't make much sense though, she is stronger than the super saiyan god from the legend, I'm not that happy about that fact, it renders saiyajin history and the concept of SS god useless or maybe the word would be obsolete. It's a huge leap going from SS level to blue level like that, but we'll see what next chapter has for her.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:24 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Instead of someone with lowself esteem and insecurity who always looks to Caulifla, she’s basically a badass body guard who looks after Caulifla physically and mentally.
She cares about what happens to Caulifla and even tries not to show off too much of her power for Caulifla’s sake because she wants to keep Caulifla’s pride in tact.

While there is no info to base this off of, i hope the difference in Kale’s character from the anime was due to Toriyama not liking Kale in the anime. We do know that Toyotaro works closer to Toriyama than Toei does. And maybe we’ll get this kind of Kale from the rest of Super, throughout the anime and the manga.

Manga Kale is basically anime Kale with a huge confidence boost. In the anime, Kale’s development has been centered around confidence in herself and since Caulifla has confidence in her, she’s been building her own confidence.

And if the manga really does continue past the DBS animated series, we might just see that change in Kale.
I doubt that since if Toriyama didn't like her, he would have asked Toei to change her like he did with Jiren.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lati

Post by Lati » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:35 am

Actually, if I could kindly interject, it was actually stated in an interview that Toriyama approved of the prospect of Kale by Toei, and made Caulifla specifically because of her.

You can find the interview on this very site: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... vival-arc/
"Your hair looks like lavender but smells like strawberries."

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:43 am

I feel like the more we keep looking at this manga as a "fix-fic" for the anime (by an actual fanfic writer no less), the less it's going to be taken seriously as an adaptation.

That being said, this version is a pretty cool take on Kale. Where the anime version was going for Moe-blob Bruce Banner, the manga version is more of a hyper-competent sidekick who lacks the confidence to step out of the shadows. I hope it's setting her up to go an a similar development path the anime took, which is learning to be confident, control her powers and fight alongside Caulifla.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:33 am

Kale is totally badass in the manga, my favorite scene with her remains from chapter 32 (I think it was the first time we see her IIRC)

So simple, so efficient.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Instead of someone with lowself esteem and insecurity who always looks to Caulifla, she’s basically a badass body guard who looks after Caulifla physically and mentally.
In a manner, sort of like Future Trunks.
Ironic, all things considering.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:46 pm

I agree. I like Kale a lot more in the manga since she's not some shy little kid. Since her base is stronger, the multiplier for BSSJ can be lower too. It makes sense.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:08 pm

Damn, no love for shy people? That's why they are all depressed, well done guys
Get Fucked, C_unt

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:40 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Damn, no love for shy people? That's why they are all depressed, well done guys
Do you know any shy people that are powerful martial artists? Didn't think so.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Damn, no love for shy people? That's why they are all depressed, well done guys
That was a joke dude. But to answer your question, yes, kind of. Not really world champion material, but I know some skilled people who are a bit shy.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
That was a joke dude. But to answer your question, yes, kind of. Not really world champion material, but I know some skilled people who are a bit shy.
No worries. I was joking too.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:03 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Do you know any shy people that are powerful martial artists? Didn't think so.
No worries. I was joking too.
Shit, my bad :D I though I was the misunderstood one, silly me
Get Fucked, C_unt

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:11 pm

It's not so much the fact she is shy but more how she seems to be weirdly in love with her sister in the anime, well that's the impression I got lol

EDIT: Was my spoiler tag removed in my previous post? What the hell lol

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:51 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:It's not so much the fact she is shy but more how she seems to be weirdly in love with her sister in the anime, well that's the impression I got lol

EDIT: Was my spoiler tag removed in my previous post? What the hell lol
They're not sisters if I remember correctly, right?
EDIT: They're 100% not sisters
Get Fucked, C_unt

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:24 pm

Ah my bad I got confused with her repeatedly calling her sis lol

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:39 pm

I definitely think she’s an improvement over her anime self, who clearly existed primarily so that we could have a “canon” version of Broly.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:38 am

Lati wrote:Actually, if I could kindly interject, it was actually stated in an interview that Toriyama approved of the prospect of Kale by Toei, and made Caulifla specifically because of her.

You can find the interview on this very site: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... vival-arc/
He just approved the creation of Kale and then gave Caulifla. They weren’t even a Toriyama idea to begin with. Toei and Toyotarou worked together on the character most likely

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:27 am

Yeah she is a lot more serious, more intimidating and less baby-ish who cries over small things. I was 100% sure that Toyotaro would do a good job with her, he knows how to handle the characters.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:23 am

Koitsukai wrote:We haven't seen that much from her, but I do like her more than in the anime where she was like Shun from Saint Seiya with all that shyness and mad potential. Ok, nothing at all like Shun, but such a stereotype, like the geeky kid that gets bullied for being shy but gets mad and even beats the principal and the parents.

Also, I like that she is waaaay stronger than Broly, she is blue tier! it doesn't make much sense though, she is stronger than the super saiyan god from the legend, I'm not that happy about that fact, it renders saiyajin history and the concept of SS god useless or maybe the word would be obsolete. It's a huge leap going from SS level to blue level like that, but we'll see what next chapter has for her.
It doesn't render any part of Saiyan history obsolete, because "the Saiyan of legend" is a purely movie concept, therefore it doesn't exist in the main series in the first place.