One of the reasons Jiren is so boring

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: One of the reasons Jiren is so boring

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 am

Having a unique skill set would've helped set him apart better, on a superficial level (sort of like Hit) but Jiren's problem is that he's a character who requires far better writing than what Super can do. If they pulled off that aspect of his character, it would've made him so much more interesting than any cool beam attack ever could.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:41 am

I think its hilarious people think Jiren is boring, but Hit, and before Hit, Pikkon were super cool.

It's all the same: Strong, silent types almost to the point of being an annoying cliche. Jiren being the most stoic with no supercool powers doesn't make him any less than the other two.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:30 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Having a unique skill set would've helped set him apart better, on a superficial level (sort of like Hit) but Jiren's problem is that he's a character who requires far better writing than what Super can do. If they pulled off that aspect of his character, it would've made him so much more interesting than any cool beam attack ever could.
FoolsGil wrote:I think its hilarious people think Jiren is boring, but Hit, and before Hit, Pikkon were super cool.

It's all the same: Strong, silent types almost to the point of being an annoying cliche. Jiren being the most stoic with no supercool powers doesn't make him any less than the other two.
Ugh it really irks me when people think a cool gimmick can saved one character suddenly even if Jiren had cool power it wouldn't excuse his non existent motivation up until the end and his inconsistent personality made him one of my least favorite characters.
Mostly active on discord.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:43 pm

How is Jiren boring when he was easily the most interesting and intimidating figure in the TOP with the best fights? His backstory and personality is the reason all this too.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:53 am

FoolsGil wrote:I think its hilarious people think Jiren is boring, but Hit, and before Hit, Pikkon were super cool.

I think the difference between those types of characters, or more accurately, the thing that differentiates them from each other, is there interactions with other characters.

For example, though Hit was also a mostly quite stoic type, he had a lot of nice interactions that helped establish his character and his relationship with Goku.

I think my problem with Jiren, is that he only really had interactions that I would consider interesting, extremely late into the arc, well after his introduction.

These characters each have a unique gimmick, and have very similar personalities, but the thing that differientates them from each other is their interactions with other characters, and for Jiren, those interesting interactions simply came too late in the show.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:36 am

Finally Someone Said it! Sheesh its border line driving me crazy how hit Get soooooo much praise when he's nothing but Pikkon with Time powers.

I dont see how his interactions Goku make him all that different from Jiren either.. Pre Fight/Mid Fight - "Strange Man, you're quite powerful indeed but you still cant stack up to me"... Post Fight - "Hmm so your name is Goku, you're a remarkable guy, cant wait for our rematch. (walks off, passes out)" Same old shit.

Hit even had a personal two parter and we still didnt learn jack about him.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:

Finally Someone Said it! Sheesh its border line driving me crazy how hit Get soooooo much praise when he's nothing but Pikkon with Time powers.

I dont see how his interactions Goku make him all that different from Jiren either.. Pre Fight/Mid Fight - "Strange Man, you're quite powerful indeed but you still cant stack up to me"... Post Fight - "Hmm so your name is Goku, you're a remarkable guy, cant wait for our rematch. (walks off, passes out)" Same old shit.

I think you need to re-watch those episodes, because that really isn't how it went down at all and its a gross oversimplification of both sides. I think its also worth noting that we learnt all we needed to about Hits character based purely on his interactions with others.

For reference, the two parter did a good job of contextualizing Hits character before he met Goku, and also foregrounding how meeting Goku had influenced him.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:21 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Jiren being the most stoic with no supercool powers doesn't make him any less than the other two.
Why wouldn't it? If I'm forced to choose between super stoic with a cool gimmick and super stoic with no interesting abilities at all, I'm going for the former every time. That's pretty much an instant no-brainer.

Both Hit's and Jiren's more personality-driven moments were accentuated through their dynamic with Goku. Like most things, I'd argue that these developments were much more thematically interesting and narratively appropriate in the manga rather than the anime, but you can't paint all these broad strokes without at least understanding their roles within the story first.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:24 pm

The gr wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Having a unique skill set would've helped set him apart better, on a superficial level (sort of like Hit) but Jiren's problem is that he's a character who requires far better writing than what Super can do. If they pulled off that aspect of his character, it would've made him so much more interesting than any cool beam attack ever could.

Ugh it really irks me when people think a cool gimmick can saved one character suddenly even if Jiren had cool power it wouldn't excuse his non existent motivation up until the end and his inconsistent personality made him one of my least favorite characters.
Why do some keep saying his inconsistent personality? Lol, he really wasn't inconsistent.
Miracles wrote:How is Jiren boring when he was easily the most interesting and intimidating figure in the TOP with the best fights? His backstory and personality is the reason all this too.
I think his backstory was pretty meh and fairly poorly handled, but since they stuck with it, I did like how they weaved it into his motivations and how I felt they did a nice job showing the affect it had on him.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Toriyama went the Terminator route with making his villains. Freeza was just super durable and hard to kill, Cell had advanced regen and hax DNA on top of that and Buu went full T-1000 there. And as we know, the only logical step forward from a T-1000 is a T-3000, but I don't see that sort of abilities being of much use in the DB universe. So they just went and made the new antagonists strong, simple as :p

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Jiren being the most stoic with no supercool powers doesn't make him any less than the other two.
Why wouldn't it? If I'm forced to choose between super stoic with a cool gimmick and super stoic with no interesting abilities at all, I'm going for the former every time.
Finally someone gets it. I never said that just having a unique power would make him an interesting character, but the fact that he doesn't have one just makes his already bland character worse.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:31 pm

JazzMazz wrote:

I think you need to re-watch those episodes, because that really isn't how it went down at all and its a gross oversimplification of both sides. I think its also worth noting that we learnt all we needed to about Hits character based purely on his interactions with others.

For reference, the two parter did a good job of contextualizing Hits character before he met Goku, and also foregrounding how meeting Goku had influenced him.
Please give examples man.. I've skimmed through both episode's 71 and 72, all I got from that is Hit's a noble fighter who pays respects to those he murders. More of pretty much what we already knew back in the U6 Tournament. But there are some important things we never learn.

His motives for being an assassin, his martial arts origins, nothing about his race or any close relationships he might have with anyone in his home universe. Also what on earth did he mean by Assassins pride when he faced Jiren.

We know nothing about Hit expect that he's really strong, can manipulate time and kills for hire.. Big Whoop.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Zen Yabuki wrote:I think his backstory was pretty meh and fairly poorly handled, but since they stuck with it, I did like how they weaved it into his motivations and how I felt they did a nice job showing the affect it had on him.
Yeah, it was the cause of all the hype Jiren brought.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:28 pm

JazzMazz wrote:

Please give examples man.. I've skimmed through both episode's 71 and 72, all I got from that is Hit's a noble fighter who pays respects to those he murders. More of pretty much what we already knew back in the U6 Tournament. But there are some important things we never learn.

His motives for being an assassin, his martial arts origins, nothing about his race or any close relationships he might have with anyone in his home universe. Also what on earth did he mean by Assassins pride when he faced Jiren.

We know nothing about Hit expect that he's really strong, can manipulate time and kills for hire.. Big Whoop.
You're placing too much emphasis on the history of the character rather than the content of the character. By all means I do concur Hit is just another stoic rival to be inevitably left at the wayside, history or background have ultimately never meant anything for the appeal of a character; hell, we know next to nothing about Beerus's personal background beyond his occupation, but that doesn't matter as long as his character is firm enough to stand on its own. Granted, a character like Beerus has unorthodox personality traits and a slick character like Whis to bounce off of, so naturally Hit does falter behind the clandestine deity quite a bit. I just felt like bringing up the "why" of a character is almost never important, it's the what and how they're handled that makes them appealing. While Hit is a flat character, he was handled with mystique, poise, and executed well and swiftly, so I feel that's what made him captivating to most viewers. And notably, it illustrates what contrasts with him and Jiren; Hit is only ever hinted at and never steals the spotlight from the other Universe 6 candidates, coupled with the fact he was refreshing at the time with the return to a stoic rival and given a delightful cherry on top with his time-manipulation. Jiren, while I love the superhero satire aspect of his character, has too much of a focus to allow other new characters to breathe, was just another stoic rival who grew to like Goku (which became stale because Hit had just done it a year prior), and as a result becomes grating as he becomes a proverbial boulder among rocks, taking up too much space while not being very subtly pointed at.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Its not that i'm focusing too heavy on a character's history.. I was just giving examples but even then i'm not that interested in Hit's origins because he didnt really do much in the present to warrant me to even care. The difference between Hit and Jiren's presentation is similar to the Beerus example you gave. In The U6 tournament out side of stopping Frost from taking the Space Cube Hit literally doesnt interact with any of his fellow team mates while in the ToP the Pride Troopers no Jiren, they've worked with him many times before and hold him in extremely high regard espeacially Toppo. That Added to Jiren's Mystique. Toppo is next up in line for God od Destruction yet he cant stop going on about this Jiren guy who up to that point felt little need to say anything or do anything out side of meditate because he KNEW that no one was really on his level.

With Hit his mystique didnt really start to blossom until his fight with Vegeta, then he fought Goku who figured it out, then there was nothing. he comes back with a new move the gets beaten. In the ToP the U6 residents are a bit more familiar with him but even still he doesnt really interact them much he's just the designated leader because of his strength and experience. Champa even plants a secret weapon into the team should Hit turn out to be a one trick pony.

The Appeal of Hit and Jiren fighting each other wasnt that it was two really powerful and interesting characters fighting each other, it was that it was two different versions of the same character going toe to toe which is almost always cool to see regardless of how "Deep or Complex" they are.

The "Why" of a character is Always important by the way.. Its just with Dragon Ball most of the Villains tend to be Evil just because but at the end of the day its their wacky kind of charm and personality and how they mesh with someone as carefree and naive as Goku or Stern and ill tempered as Vegeta that allows us to enjoy them. What ever kind of Lore thats added on the back end is just welcomed ( somestimes un-welcomed) extras.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:15 pm

Jiren was just different as a character is all, he didn't need a gimmick ability to stand out like Hit. He was meant to be an overwhelming force of nature. Not an evil cackling bad guy like Cell or Zamasu but an unstoppable force like a hurricane.

Which they pulled off so well that we had people debating whether Universe 7 would actually lose and be destroyed despite seeing EoZ.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:15 pm

I believe he was boring, because for one there was nothing interesting about him at all in every aspect, in either his abilities, appearance, dialouge, background, expressions, or action. Everything he did was just bland, if he wasn't fighting then he was a statue, his character wasn't well written at all.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 am

Bullza wrote:Jiren was just different as a character is all, he didn't need a gimmick ability to stand out like Hit. He was meant to be an overwhelming force of nature. Not an evil cackling bad guy like Cell or Zamasu but an unstoppable force like a hurricane.

Which they pulled off so well that we had people debating whether Universe 7 would actually lose and be destroyed despite seeing EoZ.
Done effectively =/= Done well

I was legitimately unsure whether or not Goku could beat Jiren, but they didn't need to put me through a collective hour of loop-frame blocking to get me to that point.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am

Okay - someone has to say it; guess it'll be me.

Jiren is no more or less boring than Broly (whatever they do with him in the upcoming movie notwithstanding).

Seriously - both have lame, predictable, backstories. Both are unstoppable powerhouses. Neither have anything that one could describe as a personality. Both have a boring obsession that they can't move beyond. And Broly speaks even LESS than Jiren.

So WHY is Broly so revered and Jiren so reviled? :roll:

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 am

Its because jiren is one of the most poorly executed characters of all time. There have been multiple instances of "unstoppable force of nature" (and not all of them having a gimmick) throughout not just anime but the entirety of media and they are handled so, so, SO much better.

Jiren was somebody's sterile, half assed idea of what a stoic all powerful character should act like without any effort in execution whatsoever. No style, no personality, no mystery, no motivation for any of his actions - just complete garbage. All he has to his name is one well animated fight at the end of the series. Tbh no gimmick would have saved him. Trash, just trash.