addressing some DBS criticism

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Re: addressing some DBS criticism

Post by Master Xar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:28 am

Bergamo wrote:The Grand Priest's clock being wrong is the dumbest thing I've seen posted here. The objective narrator even agrees with the clock. Also, human clocks rarely make mistakes, so you would expect an angel clock to have an immeasurably small margin of error. Even if it did somehow make a mistake, some one would have noticed that this 48 minute tournament ended up taking 11 hours.
Read and pay attention to the argument. That’s not the point I’m making. He is arguing that Freeza could’ve been wrong outside of his estimated 5 minutes of the planet being destroyed, can’t argue he is unreliable as he has experience destroying planets and is our only form of knowledge with no in-story hinting that he is wrong or lying. To suggest any further or different time amounts to headcanon and personal opinion which is wrong, every character who isn’t omniscient/all-knowing and 100% truthful is going to have a margin of error or some form of unreliability without proof, their believability and knowledge varies, but usually without in-story context saying they are wrong is just your interpretation.

I presented a counter-argument in the form of The Grand Priest. He isn’t 100% truthful or omniscient as least as far as we know, so his word has a margin of error, or possibility of untruthfulness is wrong. There even is the form of the narrator who while has the knowledge (depending on the in-story POV) and may or may not be telling the truth.

Fact is when they say or claim something you cannot just say he or she is lying/wrong without in-story evidence or context.