What's the point of bringing (Movie 20 spoilers) back?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What's the point of bringing (Movie 20 spoilers) back?

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:44 pm

I've read fanfiction better than Super.

Broly sells hence his return. Bringing back characters instead of original ones like Zamasu is disappointing but it's the safest route.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Re: What's the point of bringing (Movie 20 spoilers) back?

Post by Gokitalo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:12 am

coola wrote:Toriyama confirmed, that only thing new Broly will have in common with old one, is its look, my question is, why making him look like Broly, if it will be completely different character? i respect Toriyama, but his recent stuff is definition of playing it safe, and fanfiction coming to life :( (And by that, i mean of course using it by author in official story :) )
Well, seeing as Paragus is likely to return also, I suspect certain elements of Broly will remain the same, or at least similar.

I wouldn't call bringing back Broly safe, necessarily, as it's a character Toriyama himself never worked on outside of the design. He has the task of recapturing what made Broly a hit with the fans, while bringing something new to the table. That's a bit more challenging than say, bringing back Freeza, who Toriyama developed 100%.

That said, I'm sure Toriyama will succeed. Creating interesting characters is one of his major strengths-- Beerus is one of his most famous recent examples. Like Mike and Heath said in the podcast, Toriyama could end up making Broly a character viewers care about: maybe even more than his previous incarnation.