Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:13 am

Imagine if this new rebooted Broly is so interesting, so intriguing, and/or just so great. Would you like Toriyama to do more rebooting of non canon villains? I’d actually be pretty down for a Cooler reboot. Maybe a Super 17 reboot can be good if it’s properly in Toriyama’s hands!

I know a lot of y’all won’t want it and would actually want new original characters... but thoughts?

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Re: Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?

Post by Exline » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 am

No, I'm tired of this series retreading old grounds instead of making new characters/new plot points.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:53 am

I'd prefer new ideas from now on. Broly was just way too popular to get ignored so he is an exception.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 am

I don't like it, but neither do I hate it. I keep saying, it's the execution that matters most for me, so theoretically, I up for anything as far as concepts go. This is also why I didn't take the Broly reveal to be something that catastrophic. I'm genuinely curious what they'll do with him.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:39 am

Cooler is the only one I'd like, but I think the boat sailed on him for good in Resurrection F.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:56 am

Nope. Just whereabouts Bardock timeline or whatever it was , but not as main character
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:16 am

Yes, but only two specific ones: Cooler and Baby.

Baby is a villain who actually has a reason to act the way he does. He's a tuffle (artificial, but still) who's out for revenge against the saiyans who genocided his species. Even with just that one-sentence backstory, he has plenty of depth for a Dragon Ball villain. Baby getting his power from possessing other people instead of just being magically super strong on his own is also a good thing in my eyes. However, beyond this, he'd need to be changed a lot. First of all, he's a little overdesigned, but that's minor. More importantly, he needs to keep his grudge throughout the story, because in GT his motives kinda fade (iirc) as the story progresses. I'd also vastly prefer him possessing Goku rather than Vegeta, as his hatred for Vegeta and the saiyan royal family should be much larger than his hatred for just any saiyan in general. I imagine he'd tell Vegeta something similar to what he told Goku in GT: He doesn't even deserve to be possessed, he only deserves to die. If he was rebooted like this, I'd be all for it, though I doubt Toriyama would ever do that to his Goku.

Cooler I just like as a concept. Frieza's older brother who's less of a prodigy but makes up for it by working hard. (I think that was the story?) If Toriyama managed to make a rebooted Cooler who's less evil, so to speak (he'd be evil, but he'd also be "trustworthy", a noble demon as TV Tropes puts it), I'd be all for it, though it could get awkward now that Frieza's back in the story.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:21 am

Only Janemba, who is the only one from the movies who has potential and has the capacity to bring something to the table.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 am

As long as they aren't done in back to back stories, sure, or at least if they are one or both aren't the main character/villain of their arc. See Kale to Broly.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:06 am

Honestly, I'd love to see someone take another crack at the Evil Dragons arc from GT. That concept was fucking gold, and it HORRIBLY squandered in GT.

Other than that, perhaps expand on Cooler's character more as I feel there's so much more you explore with regards to Freeza family, and by extension, his history and his race.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:31 am

Not really, sans Shadow Dragon(s) & Baby concept perhaps. GT made tons of mistakes, but it sure had some nice ideas for the villains. Better than any DBZ Movie villain actually.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:37 am

IF Broly is done right then yes, revisiting old concepts that weren't done right before would be a great idea as long as original concepts are still introduced. I think they're using Broly as a door to do this so if it's a big success then It's safe to say other concepts will be brought over.

I'd love to see Ssj4, Baby, Super 17, the shadow dragons & cooler modernized by Toriyama IF Broly works out.
Grimlock wrote:Only Janemba, who is the only one from the movies who has potential and has the capacity to bring something to the table.
They could have him be form another universe or be the "king" of the demon world which I'd also like to see.
BlueBasilisk wrote:Cooler is the only one I'd like, but I think the boat sailed on him for good in Resurrection F.
Freeza's back now so they could still bring him in. Keep in mind that they won't be bringing him back to life as it won't be the same Cooler.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 am

sintzu wrote:They could have him be form another universe or be the "king" of the demon world which I'd also like to see.
If by "universe" you mean "dimension", then yes. He could be the link to endless possibilities that the "main series" should already be dealing instead of wasting time with nonsense.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:15 am

Not really. Brody in the first film was one of the more fleshed out film villains and he was clearly insanely popular. I get the novelty to Toriyama retouching him up and bringing him into continuity. The GT villains were in a series and given proper time. The rest of the movie villains were way too generic.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:18 am

Depends how it would be executed. Frankly, I don't think I would mind if Broly had something similar to SSJ4 in this movie. I expect Toriyama to do wonders for Broly's character and not make him a mindless idiot but I still have to wait and see just how it turns out.

Assuming this movie goes really well, I wouldn't mind seeing Cooler to come into canon with his father. I don't know how it would work or how it would make any sense but they could figure it out.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:26 am

superfan2024 wrote:Would you like Toriyama to do more rebooting of non canon villains?
No. Absolutely not.

I'm more sympathetic to the idea of a Broly reboot because he's a Saiyan, he's popular in several territories, Toriyama saw something to work with, and he can be used to explore the history of Goku and Vegeta's race in more detail. That's fine. It's not what I would have done, but I can understand some of the reasoning behind it.

Rebooting other villains wouldn't benefit the franchise at all, whether for merchandising or otherwise. It's totally pointless in comparison to a character like Broly, and I'm sure the franchise's authorities realize that their audience would be more than a little peeved at the prospect of constantly recycled ideas. I don't see it happening.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 am

Grimlock wrote:Only Janemba, who is the only one from the movies who has potential and has the capacity to bring something to the table.
This. I think a retooling of Janemba with elements of a Demon World story could be really good.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am

Honestly, I'd rather they didn't, but if they did...I can definitely think of a few other characters or concepts I'd love to see revisited but with Toriyama's more direct involvement.

Dr. Wheelo/The World's Strongest - Dr. Wheelo is one of the more uniquely designed villains in the franchise, and the whole idea of taking the body of the strongest person in the world was actually a pretty neat plot idea...at the time. I admit the idea of going after Goku's body is pretty old hat by now (and we did just have Goku Black), but this could be averted with Wheelo going for it but not actually achieving it. I'd also imagine the bit where he thinks Roshi is the strongest person in the world would likely be revamped into instead him going for Mr. Satan initially instead, believing him to be the strongest person out there.

Big Gete Star/The Return of Cooler - I have no need for Cooler to be involved honestly. But the idea of a big, planet eating thing? Basically Dragon Ball's equivalent of Unicron or Galactus? THAT'S an idea I'd like to see re-visited, cuz it wasn't done justice in this film. Just again, likely leaving Cooler way out of it.

Hirudegarn/Wrath of the Dragon - This is the one that I'd be most okay with in terms of just plain rebooting the story almost as is only taking place in the current timeline of Super. Hirudegarn was another of the more unique looking foes in the franchise, and outside of the occasional Oozaru, we haven't really had a 'kaiju' foe for them to deal with before or since, so it'd be fun to see that come back. And Tapion could be re-tooled into a pretty interesting character as well. The stuff with Hirudegarn's backstory and Hoi's involvement though, could probably be removed or tinkered with greatly, to make it less like a Majin Boo copy though.

Shadow Dragons - This is really the only concept from GT that I'd like to see visited, since we're now in an era where we have Freeza back and thus don't really have much need for another 'revenge on the Saiyans' concept like Dr. Raichi/Hatchyack/Baby bring us (though admittedly, seeing Freeza, and I mean actual Freeza not the ghost warrior thing, interact in such a plot could be entertaining). No, what I'd like to see given some due again is the idea of the Dragon Balls' overuse being a bad thing, hence Elder Kai's protests about using them so much. They could even have it be a thing that only happens with the Earth Dragon Balls since they're like three steps removed from the real things in the first place, therefore making them imperfect and prone to causing an issue like this.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am

Short answer: No.

Even if it means making them ughh. "CANON".
"<villain> is now canon" phrase even sounds absolutely stupid.

I hate reboots of anything. The only reboots i accept are reboots of some movies, mostly really old ones (classic slashers) although they never replace original ones, they are only alternative, secondary takes. I absolutely love how even 30 years later, "Child's Play" movie series is one, single story, made by the same guy, with the same people playing the same characters. No single reboot was made in entire franchise for 30 years. Nothing was ever retconned.

Making another Broly movie is already trash idea. Rebooting him is even worse disaster.
No matter how good reboot is, this movie is already fail to me as any kind of rebooting in DB will be.

Yes, that includes hypothetical GT reboot series. I don't want it. So it's not just sign of me hating DBS.
It's just that two things i hate (DBS and its lazy fanservice ideas & rebooting) met together to make something that is offending me by a simple fact it exists.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Would you like Toriyama to do more rebooting of non canon villains?
No. Absolutely not.

I'm more sympathetic to the idea of a Broly reboot because he's a Saiyan, he's popular in several territories, Toriyama saw something to work with, and he can be used to explore the history of Goku and Vegeta's race in more detail. That's fine. It's not what I would have done, but I can understand some of the reasoning behind it.

Rebooting other villains wouldn't benefit the franchise at all, whether for merchandising or otherwise. It's totally pointless in comparison to a character like Broly, and I'm sure the franchise's authorities realize that their audience would be more than a little peeved at the prospect of constantly recycled ideas. I don't see it happening.
I have to agree with this. But I think Cooler could be interesting so they could develop Freezer's race a little more, but anyway.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu