Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Would y’all like it if Tori rebooted other Z Movie/GT villains?

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:06 pm

Based on us getting Freeza in the previous movie and now Broly in the next one, we might get a 3rd popular concept in the next one whenever that is. My bet is on Ssj4 as that's gotten a huge push in the last few years so if they can convince Toriyama to do Broly then Ssj4 shouldn't be difficult at all, especially if they're looking into giving Goku and Vegeta a new form.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:09 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Would you like Toriyama to do more rebooting of non canon villains?
No. Absolutely not.

I'm more sympathetic to the idea of a Broly reboot because he's a Saiyan, he's popular in several territories, Toriyama saw something to work with, and he can be used to explore the history of Goku and Vegeta's race in more detail. That's fine. It's not what I would have done, but I can understand some of the reasoning behind it.

Rebooting other villains wouldn't benefit the franchise at all, whether for merchandising or otherwise. It's totally pointless in comparison to a character like Broly, and I'm sure the franchise's authorities realize that their audience would be more than a little peeved at the prospect of constantly recycled ideas. I don't see it happening.
I have to agree with this. But I think Cooler could be interesting so they could develop Freezer's race a little more, but anyway.
Yeah they could probably do something with Cooler to develop the Freeza race and their family tree. But if they bring back Cooler they need to bring back King Cold

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:15 pm

sintzu wrote:Based on us getting Freeza in the previous movie and now Broly in the next one, we might get a 3rd popular concept in the next one whenever that is. My bet is on Ssj4 as that's gotten a huge push in the last few years so if they can convince Toriyama to do Broly then Ssj4 shouldn't be difficult at all, especially if they're looking into giving Goku and Vegeta a new form.
That would piss of many people who can't believe in idea of SSJ4 being stronger than Blue even if it was retconned SSJ4.
Also, the more of stupid reboots like that, the more confusion in franchise.
Now we will need two versions of Broly in game, because after so many films, hype and new forms he got in games they just won't ignore "old" Broly no matter what.
And SSJ4 is also very popular form so it would make Goku SSJ4 (GT) and Goku SSJ4 (DBS) be a thing in games with both forms possibly being different since the "new" one would probably be redesigned or at least changed in concept by Toriyama.

Also, Frieza wasn't reboot. And both him and Broly, even if retconned, appeared in events prior to DBS.
GT still takes place many years after DBS so i highly doubt they would (i hope they not) bring something that is still meant to happen in future.
They could probably make a concept of Tuffle wanting to take revenge on saiyans, but it wouldn't be Baby, maybe only someone based on him and his goal.
Maybe it wouldn't even be a tuffle creation like Baby and Hatchiyak, but actual tuffle survivor. That could actually be interesting.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:24 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:GT still takes place many years after DBS so I highly doubt they would bring something that is still meant to happen in future.
And Broly is (was) meant to take place during the wait for the Cell games and later during the wait for the 25th Tenkaichi.
That would piss of many people who can't believe in idea of SSJ4 being stronger than Blue even if it was retconned SSJ4.
What people ? the same people who got pissed of over other things recently only to completely change their minds ?
the more of stupid reboots like that, the more confusion in franchise.
If they're clear with what they're doing like they are with Broly then there's nothing to be confused about. "concept A is popular so we're bringing it over with a few changes".
Now we will need two versions of Broly in game
Toriyama already said he's going to keep his base design the same so at most we'll just get 2 costumes. Even if we got 2 versions, the DB games always give characters multiple versions so I don't see why you're drawing the line with broly.
SSJ4 is a very popular form so it would make Goku SSJ4 (GT) and Goku SSJ4 (DBS) be a thing in games with both forms possibly being different.
Like with Broly, what's the issue with having both ? we already get 5+ Gokus in each game so I doubt fans will care if another one is added in.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm

sintzu wrote:Like with Broly, what's the issue with having both ? we already get 5+ Gokus in each game so I doubt fans will care if another one is added in.
Or look how many versions of Trunks we have. Xenoverse has four. Future, Super, GT and Kid. :lol:

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:40 pm

I feel like some people really need to find some lame reasons to hate Broly.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:40 pm

No. Using Broly is pushing it already.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 pm

BrolyKale wrote:I feel like some people really need to find some lame reasons to hate Broly.
Based on previous announcements, I think fans were going to hate on this regardless of it being Broly or not.

Speaking of other villains, I think it'll be great to see Freeza and Cooler interact, especially after how well written Freeza was in the TOP.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:05 pm

BrolyKale wrote:I feel like some people really need to find some lame reasons to hate Broly.
You don't need to "find" these reasons because that implies you have to look for them in the first place. You don't have to look at all because he's such a blatantly horrible character. I just rewatched Movie 10 yesterday and I can confirm he is the same boring villain he was when I saw it as a kid

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm

The only questionably okay concept I'd like to see is the shadow dragons, but that is with the massive asterisk of not actually wanting any of GT's shadow dragons to appear. Make new ones instead, that are all distinctly unique but also, y'know, distinctly Dragon. I've always felt that the final powerup for either the hero or the villain (or both) is to actually incorporate the Dragon Balls into one's own being, which would tie the end of the series' story into the start pretty well. GT did it terribly, but that's just because GT sucks, not because it's a bad idea.

I actually wondered if they were thinking about it for Frieza since A. He's alive and probably going to be sticking around in the background getting stronger for a while and B. It'd be really easy to design him so his purple shiny bits are replaced with orange spheres with stars in them. There's be a nice bonus color combination with his Golden transformation, as well.

Other than that, 17 hasn't got a chance of being a baddie anymore, Baby is lame and I don't think Tori cares too much about Tsufurians anyway, and I don't remember any of GT's other villains except for the one face all of them share. As for the movies...eh, I guess Hildegarn+Hoi and Bojack aren't too much of a ripoff of any other villains, but I can't say I enjoy them all that much (well, except that Hirudegarn means Tapion, and Tapion is cool as shit).

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm

PFM18 wrote:
You don't need to "find" these reasons because that implies you have to look for them in the first place. You don't have to look at all because he's such a blatantly horrible character. I just rewatched Movie 10 yesterday and I can confirm he is the same boring villain he was when I saw it as a kid
Yeah but there is also movie 8... he only starts acting like that because he got nearly killed by Goku, which makes sense.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Yeah but there is also movie 8... he only starts acting like that because he got nearly killed by Goku, which makes sense.
I wasnt talking strictly in terms of movie 10. That was just an example of confirming my suspicions that he is a terrible character. I have seen movie 8 and it is still clear he is a brainless moron

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:21 pm

PFM18 wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I wasnt talking strictly in terms of movie 10. That was just an example of confirming my suspicions that he is a terrible character. I have seen movie 8 and it is still clear he is a brainless moron
:lol:
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

I have no reason to, on principle, be opposed to Toriyama re-imagining more Toei characters.

Given the length of Minus, I can't really take Bardock as strongly indicative one way or the other of Toriyama's ability to re-imagine Toei characters in an interesting and worthwhile manner. So we'll have to see how he does with Broly here before I'll know if I'm itching for more or not.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:27 pm

PFM18 wrote:I have seen movie 8 and it is still clear he is a brainless moron
That's why I'm so excited to see him revisited, he has such an amazing concept behind him but it's brought down by Toei's incompetent writing so we now have the chance to see this amazing concept of the legendary Ssj fully realized.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:27 pm

No, I would not.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Depends on the manner in which it was done. I was all for the introduction of Female Broly (Kale), and I thought the Universe 6 Namekian would be based on Slug who had a similar design. For a major movie or the focal point of an entire arc, though, I'd rather not. I want the focus to be on new ideas.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:50 pm

So long as Toriyama's a neighboring star system away when production is underway, sure.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Broly is a cool exception of being canonized because of his legendary status within the fandom. I wouldn't like the main continuity to really become Dragon Ball Heroes, with non-stop fanservice and recycling of old ideas.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:Broly is a cool exception of being canonized because of his legendary status within the fandom. I wouldn't like the main continuity to really become Dragon Ball Heroes, with non-stop fanservice and recycling of old ideas.
Heroes is just a random collection of ideas thrown together which isn't what we're asking for. We want ideas that were underdeveloped to be given another chance at being fully realized. Heroes won't take the time to improve things like what Toriyama seems to be doing with Broly which is what we want for other concepts.