Do you think Broly will be as strong as Jiren/the GoDs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Do you think Broly will be as strong as Jiren/the GoDs?

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:38 am

buutenks wrote:Considering usually every villain that comes after is stronger, id say yes, he most definitely will be above Jiren.
Although Frieza himself proved to be an odd subversion of this trope, being weaker than Beerus and not significantly stronger than the heroes in his movie return. I think at bare minimum Broly will be as strong as GoD Toppo but I dunno about Full Power Jiren. Jiren was ridiculous.
PFM18 wrote:But if that peculiar rumor is true, sounds like he will be atleast as strong as Jiren.

[spoiler]The rumor that the "new Saiyan" kills Beerus[/spoiler]
[spoiler]That feat's not as impressive as it used to be since we found out you can just kill Shin to the same effect.[/spoiler]

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:41 am

buutenks wrote:Considering usually every villain that comes after is stronger, id say yes, he most definitely will be above Jiren.
That's not always the case... Janemba was the strongest villain in the movies, Bio Broly was weaker than movie 10 Broly etc.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:11 am

jplaya2023 wrote:i really hope not unless his back story is completely changed and he's been in another universe fighting and getting stronger. this brolly should have no reference to the non canon one from the movies other than his name.

Of course this Broly is going to be far far stronger than the one from the older movies. The story is going to be different. But Toriyama has said as well they'll keep some classic elements of the older Broly to not dissapoint the older fans.
Paragus will also return, his green form will return etc. It's a reboot, so we'll see some recognizable features return.
I'm fine if they would keep the explaination he was already a lot stronger than Goku and Vegeta as a baby, this would somehow explain the massive power he developped later on.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:42 am

Definitely!

It’s a Saiyan afterall, and not just any Saiyan, but it’s BROLY. So i think Akira Toriyama is going to give him a very massive power upgrade.

I think he should be stronger than Jiren (who’s obviously stronger than Beerus, especially after “breaking through his limits”)

The reason why i think he should be stronger than Jiren is simple, dragon ball usually follows the lore of having the next enemy stronger than the last. So i see no reason why that wouldn’t apply in this case aswell.

Whats more, Goku and Vegeta have been training harshly since the ToP and have arguably gotten stronger from it as a result. So the enemy they are fighting should be stronger likewise.

I think Broly is going to get a new God Form.
Because you know, Merchandise Baby!!!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:48 am

It would feel strange if Broly, even at the end of the movie, ends up being weaker than Jiren after Goku and co. have been able to beat him in the Tournament of Power.
At the very least Broly should be very close to Jiren's power, or else he won't feel as much as a threat compared to older rivals/villains such as Golden Freeza, Hit or Goku Black.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:50 pm

emperior wrote:It would feel strange if Broly, even at the end of the movie, ends up being weaker than Jiren after Goku and co. have been able to beat him in the Tournament of Power.
At the very least Broly should be very close to Jiren's power, or else he won't feel as much as a threat compared to older rivals/villains such as Golden Freeza, Hit or Goku Black.
I don't think that's necessarily true, what with the fact that Goku can't even us UI or UI Omen at will yet. It'd probably would make Broly around Jiren's level though, but I don't think it'd make him less of a threat when he's got a new form he can't even access at will. With that said, I expect him to be above Jiren.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:43 pm

You don't be stronger than the last character to be powerful and threaten to the main character. Golden Freeza is weaker than Beerus, but still give Goku and Vegeta a hard time.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:35 pm

Broly will be as strong as SSJB because he's fighting Goku and Vegeta. The question is how did he and his LSSJ transformation get that strong? What's the real backstory on how Broly can tap into LSSJ if they go with that transformation in the movie? I doubt he's trained to get to LSSJ. Should be interesting
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Probably yes he will stronger than Jiren or similar , I only remember the case of post-Beerus enemies not being as strong as the previous one.
About the gods I don’t know, my mind still thinks that destruction gods are stronger than goku
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 pm

He has to be, in order to compete with Goku and Vegeta, otherwise he'll be a joke
Get Fucked, C_unt

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:He has to be, in order to compete with Goku and Vegeta, otherwise he'll be a joke
That's not really true either. He wouldn't have to be as strong as Jiren or the GoDs to compete with them considering Goku needed UI to take on Jiren, UI Omen wasn't enough in 129. Vegeta has neither, and Goku can't use the form at will. I fully expect Broly to be at bare minimum as strong if not stronger than Jiren. But He literally could be as strong as UI Omen or Full Power Jiren or Limit Breaker Jiren and stomp Goku and Vegeta.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Zen Yabuki wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:He has to be, in order to compete with Goku and Vegeta, otherwise he'll be a joke
That's not really true either. He wouldn't have to be as strong as Jiren or the GoDs to compete with them considering Goku needed UI to take on Jiren, UI Omen wasn't enough in 129. Vegeta has neither, and Goku can't use the form at will. I fully expect Broly to be at bare minimum as strong if not stronger than Jiren. But He literally could be as strong as UI Omen or Full Power Jiren or Limit Breaker Jiren and stomp Goku and Vegeta.
Buy it's lame to have a weaker antagonist than the previous one. Dragon Ball has always done this. What's the point of having a new foe win over our protagonists if we know they defeated much stronger enemies? Also, Mastered UI is coming back, no doubt. They're not going to watse this opportunity to show him in theaters with the new artstyle.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
Zen Yabuki wrote:
Buy it's lame to have a weaker antagonist than the previous one. Dragon Ball has always done this. What's the point of having a new foe win over our protagonists if we know they defeated much stronger enemies? Also, Mastered UI is coming back, no doubt. They're not going to watse this opportunity to show him in theaters with the new artstyle.
Lame is subjective, I wouldn't say that's a good reason for why Broly can't be around their level or even slightly below it. Cause the reality is circumstances would allow for it, a transformation Goku can't use whenever he wants which is at a level far beyond what Goku and Vegeta can normally do. It still would serve the same purpose. But as I said, I see Broly being at bare minimum as strong if not stronger as that's just how DB. Sure it could be different this time, but past trends suggest Broly will be stronger.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:27 pm

It would be interesting if Daishinkan ends up being involved in stopping Broly, just like Whis helped taking down Freeza at the end of RoF.

Maybe we coule finally get a nice on-screen showing of his strength.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Xeogran wrote:It would be interesting if Daishinkan ends up being involved in stopping Broly, just like Whis helped taking down Freeza at the end of RoF.

Maybe we coule finally get a nice on-screen showing of his strength.
We did in the manga though, when he came in-between and stopped both Beerus’s and Quitela’s attacks with his index finger.

Benedetto12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 pm

He can be somewhere beetween GoD Toppo and Jiren, this way he can push Vegeta and Goku (Without UI) to a very hard fight

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:10 am

I can see why people think Broly won't be as strong as Jiren, Jiren has ruined power scaling in DB forever because they made him way too powerful.

He practically oneshot SSBKKx20, crapped on SSBE Vegeta, one shot the gold out of Frieza, beat Hit's time powers with sheer strength, didn't event really try against incomplete UI(the same form that crapped on SSJ2 Kefla) and to top it all off powered even more to match mastered UI. He'd probably shit on Blue Vegetto and Merged Zamasu too.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:46 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:The power creep was already insane enough in Super, he would have to be now.
Yeah, the DB power creep was already bad, then Super put it on steroids and the return of Frieza on forward made it a parody of itself. ToP just let the genie completely out of the bottle and let us know that none of our power estimates matter, for entertainment purposes a character will be as strong as they need to be. So yeah, Broly will easily be at least as strong as Jiren at some point in the movie. I'm curious about what plot based copout they'll come up with for my Beerus and Whis didn't know about this guy. I wonder if he's from universe 6 or another universe.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:51 pm

BWri wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:The power creep was already insane enough in Super, he would have to be now.
Yeah, the DB power creep was already bad, then Super put it on steroids and the return of Frieza on forward made it a parody of itself. ToP just let the genie completely out of the bottle and let us know that none of our power estimates matter, for entertainment purposes a character will be as strong as they need to be. So yeah, Broly will easily be at least as strong as Jiren at some point in the movie. I'm curious about what plot based copout they'll come up with for my Beerus and Whis didn't know about this guy. I wonder if he's from universe 6 or another universe.
I can't help but be puzzled by this conclusion. How do you figure DBS made a parody of itself? And could you elaborate on "a character will be as strong as they need to be"?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:38 pm

PFM18 wrote:
BWri wrote:
I can't help but be puzzled by this conclusion. How do you figure DBS made a parody of itself? And could you elaborate on "a character will be as strong as they need to be"?
First with Frieza and Tagoma's four months of training. They didn't even have a good montage to make that one make sense. I could buy Frieza getting stronger in 4 months if they showed him training with even remotely a fraction of the intensity as the main squad did in Z perhaps on a planet with unheard of levels of gravity, but alas, he simply tortured a Zarbon level guy for four months and said guy got millions--likely billions--of times stronger from said torture. Shark jumped. Between that and the ToP we have more examples, then more in the ToP itself like with Roshi's off-screen gains, but mainly the issue is with #17. The parody kicks into full gear with how #17 explains his new strength in the manga and what his "training" consists of. I already thought it was poorly executed in the anime, but could kinda get behind it as Toriyama mentioned #17 and #18 being altered on a molecular level, but in the manga he literally does pretty much nothing outside of light exercise. If that's not a parody of Toriyama's own "prodigy" trope, I don't know what is.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-