Dragon Ball Super as Toriyama's version of Noah's Ark

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Super as Toriyama's version of Noah's Ark

Post by Gokitalo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:43 pm

This is an observation I came up with shortly after Episode 131 aired and I thought I'd hold off a bit to see if somebody else would come up with it. Haven't seen it yet, so I thought now as is a good a time as any. I brought it up just now on the Discord for the Faulconer Productions Community, so I'll just copy/paste a cleaned-up version of what I wrote there, with a few extra observations.

Anyway, despite Toriyama's claims that he likes to write stories that don't have deeper meanings or metaphors, we know Dragon Ball doesn't always work that way in practice: Freeza and the Planet Trade, for example, were inspired by the land speculators of Japan's '86-90 housing bubble, who would buy up land in order to resell it at a good price (minus the genocide :-P ). Toriyama's stories sometimes have deeper meaning than even he cares to let on, which I think is just part of his natural ability as a storyteller: he can't help make his stories about something, you know?

We also know that Dragon Ball in general draws heavily from religion and mythology: while his main sources are Eastern myth/religion, we know he doesn't draw from it exclusively.

Which brings me to the Tournament of Power arc. Essentially, I see the storyline as Akira Toriyama's version of Noah's Ark. Android 17 is a stand-in for Noah, his cruiser is his ark, and the Omni-Kings are stand-ins for God/Yahweh wiping out their creations. The big difference, of course (other than the fact that there's a tournament instead of a flood) is that the Zen-Ohs give their creations the chance to prove they're worthy of continued existence by testing their moral integrity with the Super Dragon Balls, whereas in the Noah's Ark story, nearly all mortals were considered to be irredeemable. Furthermore, the ten fighters chosen to represent and fight for the survival of their universe are not unlike the two animals of every species God asked Noah to rescue in his ark to ensure they survived the flood.

I thought the similarities were pretty interesting: I'm not sure if Toriyama had Noah's Ark in mind when working on the ToP (certainly would explain why 17 was so set on getting a ship, of all things), but it wouldn't surprise me if it influenced him on some level, consciously or otherwise. Anyway, I leave it up to you all to discuss!

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Super as Toriyama's version of Noah's Ark

Post by MetaMoss » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 pm

It should be noted that Noah's Ark isn't the only story of its kind from ancient mythology. It seems like every continent with a permanent population has at least a few, if this Wikipedia list is to be believed. Japan does not appear to have one of its own, but Toriyama could have just as easily pulled the idea from China's Great Flood, though it appears that myth has less of a "punishment for sin" thing going on.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super as Toriyama's version of Noah's Ark

Post by Gokitalo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:46 am

China's Great Flood certainly could've been an influence, but I don't think there usually tends to be an ark or something similar in that story either, is there? I also don't think you have something comparable to saving two of each animal in that story either. That and the fact that there isn't usually a moral component to the Chinese version, as you've mentioned, make me think that if Toriyama did draw from any flood stories, Noah's Ark would be a pretty strong contender.