Disregarding quality, are you happy Super existed

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Disregarding quality, are you happy Super existed

Post by Dragono » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:52 am

Just in it of itself.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Disregarding quality, are you happy Super existed

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:56 am

Yes, I'm happy because we got Hakaishins, angels, different universes, Zamasu, Caulifla and new characters.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 am

Not really no. I think Dragon Ball as a story was perfectly fine being ended for good in 1997.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:09 am

Yes because it offset most of the crap that came out between Z and Super.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 am

Huh, I don't think I can analyze something disregarding one of the main aspects, which is quality. I'll try it by specifying things then:

• For the use of Super Saiyan 2? - Yes, I'm happy Dragon Ball Super exists.
• For more cool soundtracks? - Yes, I'm happy Dragon Ball Super exists.
• For introducing Goku Black, Merged Zamasu, Caulifla and Kafla? - Yes, I'm happy Dragon Ball Super exists.
• For introducing Zeno's and angels' concept? - Yes, I'm happy Dragon Ball Super exists.
• For Vegetto using Final Kamehameha? - Yes, I'm happy Dragon Ball Super exists.

I think that's just it, because:

• For retellings? - No.
• For "story"? - No (Future Trunks saga gets a pass but not so easily).
• For tournaments? - No.
• For character development? - No (mainly Goku).
• For the use of wrong characters of the past? - No.
• For the lack of use of other concepts, ideas? - No.
• For the lack of explanation and exploration? - No.
• For not leaving the safe zone? - No.
• For forcing "nostalgia" down our throats? - No.
• For inaccuracy? - No.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Not really no. I think Dragon Ball as a story was perfectly fine being ended for good in 1997.
I think this is a silly way of thinking. It doesn’t really hurt anything that Super exists. In my opinion, it’s better to have more than nothing. I can only rewatch the old series so many times. Super was also much better than GT, so I’m happy we got it. It has kept me thoroughly entertained and engaged in the DB fandom.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 pm

I really don't know how you can disregard quality here.

In terms of quality, we hhad tons of creative unpredictable stories that frankly I think are downright superior to several arcs of the original series. Whether it be a unique antagonist, creative progression, jaw dropping moments, use of several characters, and doing things that haven't been done before, I think it was done well. Most of all, I think it expanded the lore and did a great job of world building and just generally expanding the DB Universe as a whole. I look at DBS as an equal to DBZ and DB and I just finished watching DB and DBZ and am excited to get on to rewatching DBS to be honest with you. If it didn't exist then I would have to deal with that image of the pathetic Vegeta from the Buu Arc being the last Vegeta we see. I would have to deal with Buu being the strongest latest villain despite being amazingly boring and one-dimensional. It is just better with the existence of DBS. I am so thankful that it exists because I have looked forward to each Saturday night to watch this for the past 2 and a half years and I look forward to the movie.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 pm

PFM18 wrote:I really don't know how you can disregard quality here.

In terms of quality, we hhad tons of creative unpredictable stories that frankly I think are downright superior to several arcs of the original series. Whether it be a unique antagonist, creative progression, jaw dropping moments, use of several characters, and doing things that haven't been done before, I think it was done well. I look at DBS as an equal to DBZ and DB and I just finished watching DB and DBZ and am excited to get on to rewatching DBS to be honest with you. If it didn't exist then I would have to deal with that image of the pathetic Vegeta from the Buu Arc being the last Vegeta we see. I would have to deal with Buu being the strongest latest villain despite being amazingly boring and one-dimensional. It is just better with the existence of DBS. I am so thankful that it exists because I have looked forward to each Saturday night to watch this for the past 2 and a half years and I look forward to the movie.
Personally, I would never recommend that anyone watch DBS, because I wouldn't want them to do that to themselves. I think DBS is a downgrade from DBZ in every way, but if you disregard quality, I'm happy that it exists.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:58 pm

Bergamo wrote:

In terms of quality, we hhad tons of creative unpredictable stories that frankly I think are downright superior to several arcs of the original series. Whether it be a unique antagonist, creative progression, jaw dropping moments, use of several characters, and doing things that haven't been done before, I think it was done well. I look at DBS as an equal to DBZ and DB and I just finished watching DB and DBZ and am excited to get on to rewatching DBS to be honest with you. If it didn't exist then I would have to deal with that image of the pathetic Vegeta from the Buu Arc being the last Vegeta we see. I would have to deal with Buu being the strongest latest villain despite being amazingly boring and one-dimensional. It is just better with the existence of DBS. I am so thankful that it exists because I have looked forward to each Saturday night to watch this for the past 2 and a half years and I look forward to the movie.
Personally, I would never recommend that anyone watch DBS, because I wouldn't want them to do that to themselves. I think DBS is a downgrade from DBZ in every way, but if you disregard quality, I'm happy that it exists.
Well personally I try to be unbiased and not overwhelmingly pessimist.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:

Well personally I try to be unbiased and not overwhelmingly pessimist.
Firstly, would you quit it with the "bias." Disagreeing with your obviously superior opinions sadly cannot be classified as bias. Sorry.

Anyways, I'm not especially biased or pessimistic, but there is simply no reason to watch DBS. The appeal of anime telling a story with full movement and color. When half of a show is a 40 episode long tournament, and it's not a tournament with a bracket, but rather a disorderly collection of characters with bad designs that you don't care about fighting, there's no reason to watch. The great moments are few and far between, and they don't justify the ungodly long watch time. I legitimately think a 40 minute YouTube playlist of the best moments of the tournament would be better than what we got.

Finally, name one thing in super that's better than Dragon Ball.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:25 am

It has its definite flaws, but I loved Super. I hope we get more content in the future, even if it's just side stories built upon what Super has introduced (U6, U11, etc.)

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:07 am

Not happy when it was announced, neutral/mixed when it aired, and indifferent after it ended.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:28 am

Absolutely. Gave me something fun to tune into every week, new characters and lore to talk about and a bevy of awesome character moments and fight scenes.

One down side is seeing all the "true fans' who hate it and call it a cash grab. I don't generally let that stuff bother me, but it sucks to see the thing you had fun with being bagged out.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:00 am

I am so glad that Super existed, since I really liked the character of Zamasu who got me invested in this show. Before the Future Trunks arc, I didn't really watch Super because I was not interested in the other arcs and the new characters did not really interest me. Actually, I am pretty sure that many others would agree with me, seeing as episode 47, which features the divine advent of Zamasu in Goku's body, is the Super episode with the highest ratings by far.

hobobob

Post by hobobob » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:42 am

Yeah, I am quite thankful for DBS' existence. Not since middle school or earlier has it been easy to talk about Dragon Ball with people IRL, and the announcement of BoG stifled that embargo in a single day. Super is riddled with flaws in every faculty of artistry, and this is kinda fine with me; that truth gave me something to criticize for years on end besides the US government--Super makes for a far less stress-inducing talking point. As for DBS' content expansion upon the original series, Beerus, Whis, the other Angels and Hakaishin, Hit, and Ultra Instinct were all fun to behold, and gave much to geekthink about. Less directly, Dragon Ball FighterZ probably wouldn't exist without Super, and that game's damn good. The original manga cannot ever be tarnishsed, so I'm happy with the continual production of Super and other new DB material.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:43 am

Super is happy Broly exists. That is more important than what I think about Super.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:02 am

Very happy. Anime and manga industry is hurting.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:05 am

Yes as I've always thought DB would've been so much more had Toriyama not gotten burned out when he did during the Buu arc. It isn't perfect by any means but I'm happy to see Toriyama get back into the franchise and help it reach its full potential.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am

bleed0range wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Not really no. I think Dragon Ball as a story was perfectly fine being ended for good in 1997.
I think this is a silly way of thinking. It doesn’t really hurt anything that Super exists. In my opinion, it’s better to have more than nothing. I can only rewatch the old series so many times. Super was also much better than GT, so I’m happy we got it. It has kept me thoroughly entertained and engaged in the DB fandom.
Thats fine for you. But not for me. I dont think DBS is better than GT either.

SuperVirginGod

Post by SuperVirginGod » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:02 am

Yes and a BIG NO.

Everyone is out of character( especially how extra stupid goku has become) and SUPER cheesy in post 2013 material. Toei is still in 2008 YO SON GOKU AND FRIENDS RETURN episode mood. It lacks that original charm and feels like a DBZ fanfic picnic special, i can't describe it in a better way.

But i appreciate super for various concepts like
1. Ultra instinct and Kawai SSG
2. Beerus and whis
3. Zamasu's character
4. Episode 131 and how TOP ended

I love these new concepts but the execution is horrible and it's understandable because toriyama only provides plot outlines and rest is up to TOEI.