Would you like to see a spin off series with Universe 6?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Would you like to see a spin off series with Universe 6?

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:31 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:DBZ was all Goku and Gohan.
I'd put Vegeta there, possibly even before Gohan as he did more than him in the Namek and Buu arcs.
Gohan was definitely the secondary protagonist in DBZ. He would get pissed and kick somebody's ass in every arc and he killed Cell and he was the only one outside of Vegetto to completely and totally dominate Super Buu. Vegeta killed the Ginyus who were fodder by that point, killed 19 who would have just been beat by Piccolo if it wasn't him, and Semi-Perfect Cell who he immediately let absorb 18 and beat the crap out of him. Frankly, as far as dominant victories go over major villains, Gohan contributed to beating Vegeta, defeated Cell, and beat the crap out of Super Buu so he may even be ahead of Goku in that sense. Vegeta ended up being the 4th fiddle in DBZ behind Gohan,Goku and Gotenks. He certainly didn't become a centerpiece getting major victories until DBS when he kicked Black's ass and GoD Toppo. Along with the laundry list of more minor victories he had in DBS.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:47 pm

PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:DBZ was all Goku and Gohan.
I'd put Vegeta there, possibly even before Gohan as he did more than him in the Namek and Buu arcs.
Gohan was definitely the secondary protagonist in DBZ. He would get pissed and kick somebody's ass in every arc and he killed Cell and he was the only one outside of Vegetto to completely and totally dominate Super Buu. Vegeta killed the Ginyus who were fodder by that point, killed 19 who would have just been beat by Piccolo if it wasn't him, and Semi-Perfect Cell who he immediately let absorb 18 and beat the crap out of him. Frankly, as far as dominant victories go over major villains, Gohan contributed to beating Vegeta, defeated Cell, and beat the crap out of Super Buu so he may even be ahead of Goku in that sense. Vegeta ended up being the 4th fiddle in DBZ behind Gohan,Goku and Gotenks. He certainly didn't become a centerpiece getting major victories until DBS when he kicked Black's ass and GoD Toppo. Along with the laundry list of more minor victories he had in DBS.
If we're going to look at major victories then why didn't you bring up Vegeta breaking every bone in Goku's body during their first fight ? Or being the only Z fighter present with Goku during the manga's final fight against Kid Buu in which his idea led to Buu's death ? Then there's the major character development he went through from his introduction till the end of the story. I don't know why you brought up Gotenks as he just showed up once and is a fusion between 2 characters who was even stronger than Goku.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Only as a prequel. It wouldn't make much sense to have a spin-off series just in U6 that acts as if no one there knows about Goku&co and other universes. I mean, first time some powerful villain would appear it would make sense to get others involved, especially post-TOP. Sure, you can have some characters with "I dun need no help" pride characteristic, but not everyone...

And since I don't like prequels that much, then not really.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:57 pm

sintzu wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
If we're going to look at major victories then why didn't you bring up Vegeta breaking every bone in Goku's body during their first fight ? Or being the only Z fighter present with Goku during the manga's final fight against Kid Buu in which his idea led to Buu's death ? Then there's the major character development he went through from his introduction till the end of the story. I don't know why you brought up Gotenks as he just showed up once and is a fusion between 2 characters who was even stronger than Goku.
I mean he was a villain in the first arc. He obviously damaged Goku because otherwise it would not be a compelling story for the final villain to get stomped. Sure, he has tons of character development and he contributes to the defeat of Kid Buu, but he really doesn't have moments like Gohan beating Cell, Gohan beating Super Buu, Goku beating Freeza, and I mean at the end of the day Goku was the one who killed Kid Buu whether it be his idea or not.

I brought up Gotenks to illustrate that in terms of power, Vegeta was a joke in DBZ. His rival, his rival's son, and his son's fusion with another kid who vastly superior to him in strength. He is TRULY the rival of Goku in DBS and he actually is respectable in terms of strength rather than being a proverbial punching bag.

I am not trying to say Vegeta is a bad character or that he didn't do anything, but rather that he received more attention in DBS and Gohan got a lot more spotlight than him in DBZ. I mean Vegeta is by far my favorite character and his spotlight is part of the reason I love DBS so much

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:19 pm

PFM18 wrote:He really doesn't have moments like Gohan beating Super Buu,

I brought up Gotenks to illustrate that in terms of power, Vegeta was a joke in DBZ.
Isn't his fight with Cell exactly like Gohan's with Super Buu ? Both have the upper hand at first but lose when the villain takes over someone else to get stronger. Yeah Vegeta let Cell take 18 but the end result was the same.

Gotenks was also stronger than Goku. I agree that Goku and Gohan were stronger, by far even but if Goten (or Trunks) can have a partner to get a boost then it's only fair that we compare him to Vegetto as Vegeta should also be given a partner. Vegeta may not have been the #1 in terms of power but that never stopped him from having countless moments to shine or becoming a fan favorite. I do agree that where he is now in Super is vastly better which is pretty natural from where he was at the end of Buu as it's the results of his changed mindset and look at life.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:29 pm

sintzu wrote:Isn't his fight with Cell exactly like Gohan's with Super Buu ? Both have the upper hand at first but lose when the villain takes over someone else to get stronger. Yeah Vegeta let Cell take 18 but the end result was the same.
Yeah that is pretty fair. They are very similar. To me, it felt like Gohan had dominated Super Buu but the plot kind of had to move forward as that would be an anticlimactic ending, and Buu cleverly absorbed him as Gohan is tricked. Vegeta failed because of a fundamental flaw in his character, in that he is extremely cocky and that cost him this time and could have cost everybody's life.
Gotenks was also stronger than Goku. I agree that Goku and Gohan were stronger, by far even but if Goten (or Trunks) can have a partner to get a boost then it's only fair that we compare him to Vegetto as Vegeta should also be given a partner.
It's just that they are kids. One of them is his child, and they are vastly superior to him. There was a point where Gotenks was the only hope of Earth to defeat Buu because of his superior strength. He got the spotlight. There was never the same attitude towards Vegeta in the Buu arc. He was never the sole hope for the Earth and the Universe because of his immense strength. That was Gotenks.
Vegeta may not have been the #1 in terms of power but that never stopped him from having countless moments to shine or becoming a fan favorite. I do agree that where he is now in Super is vastly better which is pretty natural from where he was at the end of Buu as it's the results of his changed mindset and look at life.
Yeah this is all that I am saying. Vegeta may have had good moments in DBZ, but where he stands in Super is vastly superior. He has the big wins, he is heralded as one of the most powerful warriors, and he still has those touching character moments. The point was DBZ shifted from Gohan being the main guy next to Goku to Vegeta being the main guy next to Goku in DBS.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:44 pm

PFM18 wrote:It's just that they are kids. One of them is his child, and they are vastly superior to him.

There was a point where Gotenks was the only hope of Earth to defeat Buu because of his superior strength.
Gotenks was also stronger than Goku. I know he made it up in other ways but if we're talking raw power than at the time Gotenks was vastly stronger.

He came pretty close as Majin Vegeta when he fought Buu as Piccolo said he was earth's last warrior and if he couldn't beat him earth would be finished. Goku was still around which Piccolo didn't know so it wasn't as serious as having to fully rely on Gotenks but a praise from Piccolo is worth mentioning.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Rather than a Spin-off, I would like to see a focus episode on U6 and not having Goku or Vegeta appearing in those episodes.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:14 pm

I think there's tons of potential with a spin-off focusing on Universe. Hell, you get a good mini series out of Hit on his own. Let alone stories focusing Cabba and the Sadala Army, Frost being a fugitive, and Kale and Caulifla running amok.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think there's tons of potential with a spin-off focusing on Universe. Hell, you get a good mini series out of Hit on his own. Let alone stories focusing Cabba and the Sadala Army, Frost being a fugitive, and Kale and Caulifla running amok.
Hit would be great for an OVA like Batman: Gotham Knight. Tales of the legendary assassin told from the perspective of randos.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:39 am

I would love a short-ish spin off about U-6 or U-11, DB Super brought so much potential to the show, Beerus's OVA or an actual movie might sell a lot of toys, something about some other hakaishin, or the cool adventures of Jaco, Goten, Trunks, Maron and you could add Uub, Pan and Bra if it happens after EoZ. That Yamoshi dude. Many possibilities that don't include Son Gokou.

But only from Toriyama, no Tranny Shenron, Sugoku, Super 17 or Doc Emmet Bardock.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Another cut to the chase thread.

In case Super doesn't come back, when Dragon Ball eventually returns to TV, would you guys like to see a spin off series with Universe 6 starring Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, and Hit? Would they fight Frost from time to time? Would we see some cameos from Botamo, Magetta, Dr. Rota, the U6 Namekians, and maybe some of the main cast from Universe 7? Would the Saiyans train under Vados (if she'd be interested)? Would we see Kafla from time to time? All this and much more possibilities.
Yes, but for me personally, the most interesting things about Universe 6 are Frost, Hit, and the Namekians. If we can get more of them, as in them being the primary focus, I'd be super okay with that. The only way that the U6 Saiyans could interest me more is if their transformations were more distinct from the U6 Saiyans. But yeah, a Dragon Ball series from the perspective of an underpowered villain with the potential to be stronger would be great for a season or two. We could watch as Frost builds his empire from the ground up and unlocks a new "platinum" form to spite Frieza. Maybe the series could lead up to a rematch between Kefla and Platinum Frost vs UI Goku (or Vegetto) and Golden Frieza. Big battles for Frost along the way would be him vs. the Saiyans, Namekians, then Hit as a big boss before Golden Frieza.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:03 am

in fact if .. more than anything for hit, caulifla and kale may consider something with frost and cabba
in short I think it would be intersante taking into account that sadala is in constant wars