Canonizing the Broly Movies?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Canonizing the Broly Movies?

Post by Meshack » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:05 am

I've been thinking how Broly was going to be implemented in the series since Gokou, Vegeta, and Tarble are the last of the pure Saiyans. However, knowing Toriyama watched the other Broly movies, I think Toriyama is going to canonize the older Broly movies (probably not Attack! Super Warriors. Why? Because it causes problems with Majin-Boo). Since we know Broly is wearing clothing similar (at least the color scheme) in the recent promotional art for the movie while he's in his legendary form to the Freeza Army, I can only think that Freeza used Dragon Balls or something to revive Broly after he was defeated by Gokou, Gohan, and Goten with the Kamehameha and blasted to the Sun. Paragus is confirmed to be in the movie so this is probably not likely unless he is revived too and becomes part of Freeza's army. Another possible way is that Freeza's soldiers find more Saiyans and it happened to be Broly and Paragus. There's really no other way to explain these guys. But let's wait.

Why canonize the movies? Do they cause problems? Not necessarily. The Burning Battles could take place during the the-day period before the Cell Games and Dangerous Rivals could take place before the 25th Tenkaichi Budoukai. The movies themselves don't contradict the movies but would actually compliment his reappearance. The only problem with The Burning Battles is Gokou and Gohan are not in Super Saiyan the entire movie but not that big of a problem. The Bio Broly movie Attack! Super Warriors definitely causes problems because they should be dealing with Majin-Boo so I don't think they should follow that one and that the Broly in the movie is not goo.

There are probably holes in my theory about what's gonna happen in the movie but it's only a theory but I am excited to see the movie later this year. What do you think of this?

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Re: Canonizing the Broly Movies?

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:59 am

Nope, pretty sure that this is a complete reboot of the character which is good. Hopefully this new take on him will have more.depth and be more than just a awful Sayain stereotype

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:54 am

The older movies will remain as is: stories in an alternate timeline. The first being the tale of the Legendary Super Saiyan, the second being his survival and revenge, and the third his transformation to a pile of goo

This will be a complete reboot. What his past and history leading into this movie will be completely up to Toriyama. The same goes for whether or not this will be canon, as of right now we dont know for a fact if this movie will tie into future material or is merely a side story based in the Super timeline.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:51 am

Did Minus canonize Father of Goku? No, it did the opposite, that's what going to happen with Broly
Get Fucked, C_unt

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:07 am

"I felt this could be quite interesting once I rearrange some things. I got right to work trying my hand at a story that incorporates him into the Dragon Ball Super series.
I updated him and added a new side to his character, and I think this has resulted in a more fascinating Broly".

If he was bringing the old movies on board he wouldn't talk about rearranging things as that doesn't make since with something established. He also would've said he was incorporating the movies into Super, not just Broly. Another thing worth pointing out is him saying his changes resulted in a better Broly, implying there are 2 now.

I think it's time to forget about GT and the old movies ever becoming part of Toriyama's timeline as he's clearly not interested in just moving things over as they are so at best we can expect the base ideas to make it over but written from the ground up by him.
MKCSTEALTH wrote:As of right now we don't know for a fact if this movie will tie into future material or is merely a side story based in the Super timeline.
"The Dragon Ball Super movie will be the next story in the series currently airing on TV. It will be an episode after catching our breath from the climax of the Tournament of Power".

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2018/03/12/of ... a-comment/
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:18 am

I don't think he will and certainly doesn't hope so, sorry but canonizing the old movies would be disastrous in terms of coherency lol
You think it's no problem they fought Broly during the same week than the Cell games? This doesn't make any sense, I can eat power level issues and plotholes here and there but that would just have the whole DB universe fall apart lol
We're not in the MCU here lol
As much as I love the 1st Broly movie it would seem natural to me that they reboot this character aka it will NOT be the same Broly than in the movies, it's the only way for it to not make an enormous mess lol

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:50 pm

I mean, how could you introduce Broly without (again) going against Gokou, Vegeta and Tarble are the final few Saiyans alive? Tarble is acceptable because he is not like most Saiyans but Broly has the Legendary Super Saiyan form and causes destruction among the universe. I know we have to wait for the movie but still...

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Did Minus canonize Father of Goku? No, it did the opposite, that's what going to happen with Broly
I didn't say Dragon Ball - canonized The Father of Son Gokou. Barduck confronts Freeza a month after he called every Saiyan back to Planet Vegeta. Freeza or Kikono said it was gonna take at least a month for Saiyans to return.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:56 pm

Meshack wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Did Minus canonize Father of Goku? No, it did the opposite, that's what going to happen with Broly
I didn't say Dragon Ball - canonized The Father of Son Gokou. Barduck confronts Freeza a month after he called every Saiyan back to Planet Vegeta. Freeza or Kikono said it was gonna take at least a month for Saiyans to return.
So what? The Broly movies aren't gonna be canonized, just like Father of Goku wasn't.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:27 pm

99% sure it won't happen. Though, the first is probably the easiest to slip into the main series (fitting snugly in that week prior to the Cell Games).

But yeah. Barring being a big, powerful, probably very angry guy, expect this Broly to be a bit different from the film versions.