Do you feel like the "adventure" in DB has been missing a bit from Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Do you feel like the "adventure" in DB has been missing a bit from Super?

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:41 pm

I honestly don't know how to properly describe it, whether if it's because the arcs in Super aren't as long as the arcs in DB and DBZ were, or if it's because the locations didn't change too much in each arc of Super like they did in DB and DBZ, but i'm just not feeling adventurous feeling of Dragon Ball in both Super's anime and manga. As much as I love both of Super's iterations, i'm just not feeling that feeling of adventure that things like the RR Army Arc or the Namek and Boo Arc had.

Thoughts?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Re: Do you feel like the "adventure" in DB has been missing a bit from Super?

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Yes, despite my liking of it their is a very noticable lack of adventure.

While Dragon Ball has had arcs without it, the tournament arcs, the saiyan arc until it got filler from the anime, the Android arc and the Buu arc all being example of where the is nonexistence or very low key. However in all those cases they were part of an ongoing story were the arc befor or after would have it and more often then no some small aspect would slip in.

GT has this with its Dragon Ball arcs with the very unadventuring stories of Baby and S-17 in the middle.

Super however lacks any adventure arcs and many lack even an adventure section. The closest it got was the odd episode such as Trunks and Goten getting a present for Videl, the stuff with Copy Vegeta and Goku and Kuririn's trip to the Nightmare Forest.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:52 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Yes, despite my liking of it their is a very noticable lack of adventure.

While Dragon Ball has had arcs without it, the tournament arcs, the saiyan arc until it got filler from the anime, the Android arc and the Buu arc all being example of where the is nonexistence or very low key. However in all those cases they were part of an ongoing story were the arc befor or after would have it and more often then no some small aspect would slip in.

GT has this with its Dragon Ball arcs with the very unadventuring stories of Baby and S-17 in the middle.

Super however lacks any adventure arcs and many lack even an adventure section. The closest it got was the odd episode such as Trunks and Goten getting a present for Videl, the stuff with Copy Vegeta and Goku and Kuririn's trip to the Nightmare Forest.
Agreed completely!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Agreed. Super really lacked in adventure. I wish it'd had more. Maybe when it comes back.

I wanted to have some arcs where we adventure to those other universes, no matter how GT that sounds.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:42 am

The episode where Bulma and Jaco go to find Zuno is my favourite of that arc. I wanted so much more like that. Originally I had hoped while the U6 tournament was going on there'd be a side plot where the non fighters like Bulma etc would be looking for the Super DBs but alas not.

I also like the Copy Vegeta arc because it takes places further into the universe, the Hit mini arc too.

I loved the U.S arc for what it was but in hindsight knowing it was the end of DBS(1.0 at least) I feel there is soooo much more they could have done with that episode count.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:11 am

Dragon Ball as a whole hasn't felt like a genuine adventure since the Red Ribbon Army arc. GT tried do this with Black Star Dragon Ball arc, but it wasn't always executed very well.

I think you could get a decent arc out of Cabba and the Sadala Army travelling across Universe 6 and being mercenaries who help end wars that Frost started.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball as a whole hasn't felt like a genuine adventure since the Red Ribbon Army arc. GT tried do this with Black Star Dragon Ball arc, but it wasn't always executed very well.

I think you could get a decent arc out of Cabba and the Sadala Army travelling across Universe 6 and being mercenaries who help end wars that Frost started.
I disagree. DBZ was filled with adventure, mystery, and new discoveries. Namek arc was a whole adventure itself. From the villages to the Ginyu Force then through Freeza, it was all a whole adventure. Android arc had Trunks and Freeza and King Cold, the hunt for Gero through the city and island, the discovery of the Androids at Gero's lair, the fight with the Androids at the rocky mountain and road, then rhe discovery of Cell and it goes on and on until the Cell Games. Boo arc is filled with adventurd but it's gonna be too much to describe here lol.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm

I feel like a huge part of this is, while we have seen new locations, the characters are brought to those locations, rather than seeking them out on their own. Instead of stuff like "Let's go around the world and find the Dragon Balls!" or "Let's go to Namek!" it's more like other characters saying to the main cast You are going to go to (insert place here) to compete in a tournament/save the future." They don't have any involvement in the decision making process of where they will go next.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Yes. I don't recall the anyone in the show going on an exploration asides from Beerus who sought for the super saiyan god, Bulma and Jaco who looked for Zuno in space, and Vegeta and Jaco who traveled to Potaufeu to look for Goten and Trunks. In most cases, we often saw characters already getting to their destination while skipping the travel parts. Even then, I found most of the settings in the series to be boring. The first two sagas took place in the middle of nowhere on Earth, the tournament sagas were held in the middle of nowhere in space, Potaufeu was bland, and the future saga was set in the ruined cities in the future, which looked ugly but it was neat.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Yes, I thought with the introduction of the 12 universes, we would see at least some type of exploration but to no avail all we got was more genric fighters and settings. Additonally, I honestly think they showed too much, too fast, I would have liked if they approached the reveals of each God of Destrcution and their respective universes in a more steady mannner. Along with giving each universe and G.O.D a different set of characteristics among with one other, akin to One Piece’s Emperor and admirals.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Dragon Ball as a whole hasn't felt like a genuine adventure since the Red Ribbon Army arc. GT tried do this with Black Star Dragon Ball arc, but it wasn't always executed very well.

I disagree. DBZ was filled with adventure, mystery, and new discoveries. Namek arc was a whole adventure itself. From the villages to the Ginyu Force then through Freeza, it was all a whole adventure. Android arc had Trunks and Freeza and King Cold, the hunt for Gero through the city and island, the discovery of the Androids at Gero's lair, the fight with the Androids at the rocky mountain and road, then rhe discovery of Cell and it goes on and on until the Cell Games. Boo arc is filled with adventurd but it's gonna be too much to describe here lol.
When I think of an adventure, the scenario of going from one rocky area to a city to either do nothing or have a fight, doesn't spring to my mind.

Namek, the planet itself, was boring as fuck. It offered nothing terms of actual exploration. Mainly due to the fact that the landscape on Namek was dull and looked the same.

What made the early portions of the Namek/Freeza arc, and the Android/Cell arc, so exciting was the cat-and-mouse style chase that ensued between the main cast and antagonists. The different areas the characters visited served more as a backdrop, rather that make the world where locations were set feel more expansive and vibrant.