Why do you think Toriyama keeps creating new things then going back to old things

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Why do you think Toriyama keeps creating new things then going back to old things

Post by Dragono » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:49 am

He creates 12 univereses
He creates new characters
He expands the god hierarchy
He adds new ways to time travel
So its not like he's out of ideas

I got no problem broly coming back and i do know why, its just I'm wondering why he keeps going forward then back, he only did that once in z. he never did that in ball.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why do you think Toriyama keeps creating new things then going back to old things

Post by Gokitalo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am

Not entirely true: remember, the Pilaf Gang were recurring foes, even though their role diminished increasingly as the show progressed.

Anyway, Toriyama's two most notable decisions to return to older concepts-- Resurrection of F and Movie 20-- both were, to an extent, inspired by fans. Maximum the Hormone's song about Frieza gave Toriyama the idea to revisit the character and the Dragon Room's observation regarding Broly's popularity among Dragon Ball fandom inspired Toriyama to watch the Broly movies to see if they spoke to him.

I should point out that in both instances, Toriyama's decision to bring back those older characters was primarily that he had a story to tell. I think that's what motivates him more than anything, regardless of whether or not the characters are new or revisited

sintzu
Banned

Re: Why do you think Toriyama keeps creating new things then going back to old things

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 am

Gokitalo wrote:Toriyama's decision to bring back those older characters was primarily that he had a story to tell. I think that's what motivates him more than anything, regardless of whether or not the characters are new or revisited.
This.

We've already been told multiple times that what happens in DB needs his OK so the simple answer is that he has something to say with these concepts, despite their origins may not completely being from him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.