When you talk about powerscaling for Super, do you use the anime or manga for your argument and why?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

When you talk about powerscaling for Super, do you use the anime or manga for your argument and why?

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Welp, I wrote a couple of paragraphs but my page reloaded and everything was blank so i’m just gonna leave the title and let you all talk.

For short, for me, it’s the definitely manga. It has less powerscaling inconsistencies than the anime, has only one writer working on it unlike the bunch on the anime, and i’m pretty much convinced Toroyama supervises the manga more than he does on the anime. Nuff said.

Thoughts?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: When you talk about powerscaling for Super, do you use the anime or manga for your argument and why?

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:48 pm

You use them separately and talk about the respective powerscaling separately. The entire structure of the powerscaling is totally different in each continuity.

That said, I usually discuss the anime because I prefer the anime. I am not happy with what Toyotaro has done with the manga.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Re: When you talk about powerscaling for Super, do you use the anime or manga for your argument and why?

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Thoughts?
I feel like this could go in the strength discussion thread, but I'll bite.

Barring medium-only transformations and maybe a few other differences, they're structurally intended to be the same nowadays. During the Universe Survival arc, Toshio suggested on Twitter that his team tries to adhere to Toriyama's power scaling; Toyotaro also strives to achieve this on his part. The differences in scriptwriter interpretations will almost certainly pave the way for inconsistencies in the anime, but that's the unfortunate consequence of not having a single staff member at the helm to manage that side of things.

I prefer the manga for obvious reasons, but if people are more receptive to the anime because of its exclusive forms or whatever, that's fine too.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 pm

Marlowe89 wrote: I prefer the manga for obvious reasons, but if people are more receptive to the anime because of its exclusive forms or whatever, that's fine too.
What obvious reasons?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 am

It depends on what I'm talking about. If I'm talking about Vegeta's SsjG strength then I'll use the manga's scaling as he hasn't used the form in the anime yet. If I'm talking about Goku's blue kaioken then I'll bring up the anime's power levels as he doesn't use that in the manga.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.