Toxic Debate in the DBS Fanbase

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Toxic Debate in the DBS Fanbase

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:04 am

Is it really rational to think one version of DBS is absolute garbage while believing the other is just great? These cancer debates plague every thread related to the DBS manga and tend to make their way into completely unrelated discussions. Because of that, I have to ask, why? Both mediums have a bland Jiren, and the Zeno button, so how can only one suffer from being unwatchable/unreadable. Discuss.

Edited for grammar.
Last edited by Bergamo on Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Toxic Debate in the DBS Fanbase

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 am

Does anyone think that? People have preferences, but I haven't seen anyone say one is perfect and the other is complete trash like you're saying.

They're both absolute garbage anyway.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 am

Doctor. wrote:Does anyone think that? People have preferences, but I haven't seen anyone say one is perfect and the other is complete trash like you're saying.

From 'Disregarding quality, are you happy Super existed?'
ZombieVito wrote:Yes for the anime.

Manga can die for all I care.
It's even worse in places like Narutoforums, and every month in the manga discussion form, you have people make the obligatory, "Traceatoro is a joke," comment.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 am

Bergamo wrote:It's even worse in places like Narutoforums, and every month in the manga discussion form, you have people make the obligatory, "Traceatoro is a joke," comment.
Then I'd advise for you to listen to their arguments and figure out for yourself if their opinion has any actual weight or not. Both versions may share the same plot points, but the execution is always what sets them apart. If they think the anime's execution of certain beats is just that much better, then whatever.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:15 am

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:It's even worse in places like Narutoforums, and every month in the manga discussion form, you have people make the obligatory, "Traceatoro is a joke," comment.
Then I'd advise for you to listen to their arguments and figure out for yourself if their opinion has any actual weight or not. Both versions may share the same plot points, but the execution is always what sets them apart. If they think the anime's execution of certain beats is just that much better, then whatever.
It makes sense to prefer one medium, and I like to hear differing opinions, but I don't condone blind hatred.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:18 am

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
It makes sense to prefer one medium, and I like to hear differing opinions, but I don't condone blind hatred.
It's only hatred because the series fucked up so much in their eyes that the frustration grew into hatred.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:30 am

Doctor. wrote:Does anyone think that? People have preferences, but I haven't seen anyone say one is perfect and the other is complete trash like you're saying.

Why do you even bother discussing DBS if you hate it so much

I pretty much fit what you are saying. I hate the manga and love the anime. I dont think the anime is perfect but I generally like the decisions made in the anime better than those made in the manga.

Point is, the discussion should always be healthy on both sides. I agree

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 am

PFM18 wrote:Why do you even bother discussing DBS if you hate it so much
You're asking me why I bother talking about the series I love if the sequel to it is bad, really? Shouldn't this be obvious? If I liked the original series, then I want it to keep being good.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:42 am

PFM18 wrote:

Why do you even bother discussing DBS if you hate it so much

I pretty much fit what you are saying. I hate the manga and love the anime. I dont think the anime is perfect but I generally like the decisions made in the anime better than those made in the manga.

Point is, the discussion should always be healthy on both sides. I agree
What exactly makes you hate the manga. Not indifference or slight distaste, but what could the manga have done so wrong that you hate it, even though you like the anime.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:51 am

I prefer the anime. The manga had some decent moments in it, like having all of the GoDs battle it out, but overall, I've enjoyed the anime's run over the manga. And others are free to like the manga over the anime.

And if pressed to ask; things like the end of Future Trunks' arc. While not great in the anime, was downright awful in the manga. Trunks at least got the last blow on Fused Zamasu, giving him a bit of limelight and showing that Trunks is quite strong. And after it all, we actually got to see the reality of the situation (losing his entire multiverse) finally hit him, if only for a short time.

In the manga? Nah, screw giving Trunks any sort of moment, let's give it all to Goku! Again. And then Trunks is happy go lucky when he and Mai leave. Never sparing a moment for the total annihilation of his timeline.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:54 am

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Why do you even bother discussing DBS if you hate it so much
You're asking me why I bother talking about the series I love if the sequel to it is bad, really? Shouldn't this be obvious? If I liked the original series, then I want it to keep being good.
Yes. Why not talk about DB/DBZ rather than just whine and complain about DBS?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:00 am

Jackalope89 wrote:I prefer the anime. The manga had some decent moments in it, like having all of the GoDs battle it out, but overall, I've enjoyed the anime's run over the manga. And others are free to like the manga over the anime.

And if pressed to ask; things like the end of Future Trunks' arc. While not great in the anime, was downright awful in the manga. Trunks at least got the last blow on Fused Zamasu, giving him a bit of limelight and showing that Trunks is quite strong. And after it all, we actually got to see the reality of the situation (losing his entire multiverse) finally hit him, if only for a short time.

In the manga? Nah, screw giving Trunks any sort of moment, let's give it all to Goku! Again. And then Trunks is happy go lucky when he and Mai leave. Never sparing a moment for the total annihilation of his timeline.
Thank you for your contribution. I personally think that Trunks having the power to restore is way more meaningful than just making him strong, but I appreciate the commentary.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:03 am

PFM18 wrote:Yes. Why not talk about DB/DBZ rather than just whine and complain about DBS?
Do you see any threads exclusively about the original series in this forum?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:07 am

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Yes. Why not talk about DB/DBZ rather than just whine and complain about DBS?
This is the Dragon Ball Super forum.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:11 am

Doctor. wrote:
Yeah they are everywhere in the In-Universe forum. I mean it would be nice if there was more original series discussion but thats life I guess

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 am

Yeah. I have seen some resort to namecalling and throw some insult and wierd accusation about their personal life. Thats internet for ya.

I personally enjoy the DBS manga over the anime (so far). if you want to know.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:15 am

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
The Kanzenshuu forum. Click on new posts and tell me how many of them are about the original series exclusively.
PFM18 wrote:Yeah they are everywhere in the In-Universe forum. I mean it would be nice if there was more original series discussion but thats life I guess
And I post on these threads as well. It seems to me like you're saying I can't talk about things I dislike. That's a boring way to live and that's not how you act, either. You just said you hate the manga, but I see you talking about it. You can do whatever you want, but don't call out others for the same thing.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:17 am

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Do you see any threads exclusively about the original series in this forum?
The Kanzenshuu forum. Click on new posts and tell me how many of them are about the original series exclusively.
PFM18 wrote:Yeah they are everywhere in the In-Universe forum. I mean it would be nice if there was more original series discussion but thats life I guess
And I post on these threads as well. It seems to me like you're saying I can't talk about things I dislike. That's a boring way to live.
I mean if people are trying to have an earnest discussion about a series they enjoy and your only contribution is "the anime and manga are both garbage." Then maybe it isn't in your best interest to "contribute" to that discussion.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 am

PFM18 wrote:I mean if people are trying to have an earnest discussion about a series they enjoy and your only contribution is "the anime and manga are both garbage." Then maybe it isn't in your best interest to "contribute" to that discussion.
If that's all you've gathered from what I said in this thread, then you're blind. I gave reasons as to why people could prefer one version so much to the point they hate the other.
Doctor. wrote:Then I'd advise for you to listen to their arguments and figure out for yourself if their opinion has any actual weight or not. Both versions may share the same plot points, but the execution is always what sets them apart. If they think the anime's execution of certain beats is just that much better, then whatever.
Doctor. wrote:It's only hatred because the series fucked up so much in their eyes that the frustration grew into hatred.
Maybe you should stop trying to start an argument every time I criticize the series. It's getting tiresome at this point. I'm allowed to dislike Super and I always give a reason for shitting on the series as often as I do, even if I make reductive comments as "it's garbage" as a closing statement.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 am

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I mean if people are trying to have an earnest discussion about a series they enjoy and your only contribution is "the anime and manga are both garbage." Then maybe it isn't in your best interest to "contribute" to that discussion.
If that's all you've gathered from what I said in this thread, then you're blind. I gave reasons as to why people could prefer one version so much to the point they hate the other.
Doctor. wrote:Then I'd advise for you to listen to their arguments and figure out for yourself if their opinion has any actual weight or not. Both versions may share the same plot points, but the execution is always what sets them apart. If they think the anime's execution of certain beats is just that much better, then whatever.
Doctor. wrote:It's only hatred because the series fucked up so much in their eyes that the frustration grew into hatred.
Maybe you should stop trying to start an argument every time I criticize the series. It's getting tiresome at this point. I'm allowed to dislike Super and I always give a reason for shitting on the series as often as I do, even if I make reductive comments as "it's garbage" as a closing statement.
I think you may have taken what I said a bit too literally.

In terms of "starting an argument" that is pretty much ultimately the nature of almost every one of these discussions so I don't find it to be particularly reasonable to accuse someone of "starting arguments" on a forum where debating is at it's very core. I mean if anything it is tiresome it is having to listen to people constantly complaining about a series that nobody is forcing them to watch. It muddies the discussion with negative rhetoric that doesn't contribute much to the conversation.