Yamamuro vs. Shintani

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Yamamuro vs. Shintani

Post by DHM211 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:07 pm

While watching the new Broly trailer, I couldn't help but notice how similar in posture/framing these two shots are, and decided to put to next to each other for the sake of comparison.
Both are pretty much on model for their respective model sheets, so they make for ideal comparisons.

For comparison's sake, here is a picture of Buu saga Goku that is on-model and has the same framing.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Logania
Regular

Re: Yamamuro vs. Shintani

Post by Logania » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Yamamuro, but damn I miss the Buu arc art so much. Goku looks like the perfect mixture of both in the picture.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:04 am

Of course movie hype will say Shintani, but to be honest, Goku looks a little too young for his age there. I mean he's already a grandpa.

Yamamuro's on model Goku is great.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:31 am

Shintani's Goku reminds me of Goku's early DBZ days, Goku's design during that timeframe is my favorite, I am quite happy Shintani brings the young Goku look back which I had no hope of seeing in action ever again..
I'll go for Shintani's version anytime..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:35 am

Well, Yamamuro's looks like a plastic action figure, so...yeah... :sick:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:56 am

Good to see a still of this, proving my thoughts about Shintani-Goku's chin being too pointy.
At least now it looks like his abridged voice would be fitting.
Definitely Yamamuro-Buu-Goku for me here.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:02 am

Shintani wins it, hands down.

Not even counting how the new colors and lineart filter for the new movie make everything look better, Shintani’s design of Goku looks like... well, Goku. It really feels like the manga comes to life. The features are just perfect, and Goku is similar to how he looked in the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi/Saiyan arc with those big eyes and big ears.
The rounder shapes are also miles better than Yamamuro’s ruler like linework, and the face also looks less “fat” as it is more or less the same face shape Goku always had before modern Yamamuro decided to make his face wide.
The shading is also leagues better and there are no highlights at all, which is why Goku looks much more alive and less toy-looking. The nose too is better.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:27 am

Isnt there a thread for this already?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:28 am

The new designs looks great. My only problem is that Goku looks like he's from the ending of DB and beginning of DBZ, so that means too young. I don't like the new Yamamuro stuff, but in DBZ he was great.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:33 am

IM21 wrote:The new designs looks great. My only problem is that Goku looks like he's from the ending of DB and beginning of DBZ, so that means too young. I don't like the new Yamamuro stuff, but in DBZ he was great.
Actually in the in-universe lore, Goku is stated to always look the same ever since the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi when he first appeared as an adult. That’s because of his Saiyan genes, so the same applies to every Saiyan.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am

Yamamuro-san. I am not a fan of Dragon Ball Pokémon Sun/Moon Edition.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:46 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Isnt there a thread for this already?
I feel like there are too many already.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:52 am

Also Shintani makes Goku Look like Meliodas from The Seven Deadly Sins. I dont mind Meliodas but Goku should NOT LOOK LIKE HIM!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:59 am

I really like Shintani's Goku, I know he looks much younger but that's not a problem for me because Saiyans age slower.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:58 am

As much as I rave about Shintani, I wouldn’t take him over Yamamuro in his prime. Shintani’s great, but prime Yamamuro is legendary. Modern Yamamuro has unfortunately fallen from grace quite epically, however, which makes Shintani a breath of fresh air for me.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:38 pm

I don't particularly like the Goku on the right in your post(which may not even be Shintani's correction/key animation), it's probably the weakest shot in the trailer, but I also don't like modern Yamamuro, either.

The shot before the close-up is pretty nice, though. I'd take that over similar shots.

Although not perfect, it's just nice to get away from the glossy action figure syndrome approach.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

KayDash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KayDash » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Xeogran wrote:Goku looks a little too young for his age there. I mean he's already a grandpa.
Saiyans age differently compared to humans though.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Shintani's Goku takes this for me. It just carries the wonderful mix of late Dragon Ball and early Z Goku.
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:As much as I rave about Shintani, I wouldn’t take him over Yamamuro in his prime. Shintani’s great, but prime Yamamuro is legendary. Modern Yamamuro has unfortunately fallen from grace quite epically, however, which makes Shintani a breath of fresh air for me.
We have Prime Yamamuro at our disposal.

His name is Yuya Takahashi.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:44 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Shintani's Goku takes this for me. It just carries the wonderful mix of late Dragon Ball and early Z Goku.
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:As much as I rave about Shintani, I wouldn’t take him over Yamamuro in his prime. Shintani’s great, but prime Yamamuro is legendary. Modern Yamamuro has unfortunately fallen from grace quite epically, however, which makes Shintani a breath of fresh air for me.
We have Prime Yamamuro at our disposal.

His name is Yuya Takahashi.
You are correct. :P

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:45 pm

I'll never understand the love for Yamamuro. Ever. Never like his stuff in the Cyborg arc even. Giant chins, too much shading, giant noses, wide faces, weird shading of the cheeks, makes Vegeta look too tall... Really never liked his stuff. Sad to always see people go back to "recreate" Dragon Ball scenes from Maeda's era and "update" it to the Yamamuro designs. The philosophy is that because it is the newer look, or they are the modern designs, that according to this logic means it has to be, therefore, better. That is a logical fallacy of the highest order.

The new movie really does capture the older aesthetic of Dragon Ball's original run. However, it contrasts with Super's style immensely. Put the new film side-by-side to something from a shot from the Namek arc and they fit together well. Seeing it beside Super, it becomes apparent how Yamamuro really deviated from Toriyama's style and the original Dragon Ball.

I absolutely welcome the Shintai era. The face proportions in the screenshot, based on the character sheet, are just a whole lot better than Yamamuro. Yamamuro is competent when he works under someone rather than have other artists lead by his example.

Also, the varying line weights in the new film just look freaking fantastic.

I also would prefer to have guys like Vegeta have tiny dots for pupils like they initially did. I hated that in the Cell arc the designs started getting these cutesy huge eye pupils, especially on characters like Piccolo and Vegeta.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada