DVD/Blu-ray sets' episode count annoyances

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

DVD/Blu-ray sets' episode count annoyances

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:51 pm

I am waaay behind on supertramp as I wanted dub. Sub is great for some but I get distracted by the action and have to keep rewinding to see what they said :lol: however the Blu-ray in UK ( USA might be the same) just annoy me for one reason.

Volume 1 = all of beerus except 1 episode.
Volume 2 = last beerus Bevall of golden frieza expect one episode.

Not sure if it's only 1 missing on 3 till I get 4 but :evil: thus annoys me. There's enough room to put 1 more on the disk. It irritates me I'd much rather 1 boxset = 1 saga.

Side note. Will heroes be dubbed in future?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: UK bluray annoys me

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:57 pm

Its exactly the same with the US sets, the Japanese sets also finish 2 and 3 episodes before the end of the Beerus and Golden Freeza arcs respectively so its far from being MangaUK's issue.

Heroes will most likely never be dubbed, or at least not for a very long time as Bandai doesn't want it to get a global release.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Its exactly the same with the US sets, the Japanese sets also finish 2 and 3 episodes before the end of the Beerus and Golden Freeza arcs respectively so its far from being MangaUK's issue.

Heroes will most likely never be dubbed, or at least not for a very long time as Bandai doesn't want it to get a global release.
Ah ok to dub.

Ah I wasnt sure ifcitcwqs just manga or other. It's still annoying. :lol:

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:11 pm

My VIZbig's 3-in-1's also just appear to continue ... :shock: they don't suddenly stop because of a saga is finished. As long as the product's fine i wouldn't worry too much over it. :wink:

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:My VIZbig's 3-in-1's also just appear to continue ... :shock: they don't suddenly stop because of a saga is finished. As long as the product's fine i wouldn't worry too much over it. :wink:
It annoys me in the level that you spend 12 episodes building to the fight only having to wait 2 months or so to actually see it or see ending. :lol: annoys me on the "yes it's starting ....oh I have to wait" :lol: from a TV stand point it's whole season except season finale.

It's still pretty fun to watch though :D

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:13 pm

I mentioned this somewhere before but it's annoying how it works out because Volume 1 missed the last episode of the Beerus saga. Volume 2 missed the last episode of the Frieza saga. Volume 3 missed the last episode of the U6 Tournament itself. Volume 5 will miss the last episode of the fight with Merged Zamasu.

What makes it even more annoying is that the show has 131 episodes so the first Volume could have been 14 episodes and all the rest episodes 13 episodes to make a nice round 10 sets.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:26 pm

Bullza wrote:I mentioned this somewhere before but it's annoying how it works out because Volume 1 missed the last episode of the Beerus saga. Volume 2 missed the last episode of the Frieza saga. Volume 3 missed the last episode of the U6 Tournament itself. Volume 5 will miss the last episode of the fight with Merged Zamasu.

What makes it even more annoying is that the show has 131 episodes so the first Volume could have been 14 episodes and all the rest episodes 13 episodes to make a nice round 10 sets.
Exactly!. It's annoying choice they made lol

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:16 pm

I know this won't be a popular opinion but what they did works for me cause the only episode I want from the retellings is EP27 which is the first episode of the 3rd set so I can skip the first two and get an "alternate", better ending to the RF movie before moving onto Champa's tournament.

I do agree that it's annoying when companies do that but it's done to make $$$ cause otherwise people won't buy them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Bullza wrote:I mentioned this somewhere before but it's annoying how it works out because Volume 1 missed the last episode of the Beerus saga. Volume 2 missed the last episode of the Frieza saga. Volume 3 missed the last episode of the U6 Tournament itself. Volume 5 will miss the last episode of the fight with Merged Zamasu.

Considering Super's production history I really doubt TOEI had the foresight to know how long it would last when their home releases were announced, much less care how a foreign distributors (like Funimation) releases would turn out.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Bullza wrote:What makes it even more annoying is that the show has 131 episodes so the first Volume could have been 14 episodes and all the rest episodes 13 episodes to make a nice round 10 sets.
You'd still end up with the same problem. Set 1 would end the Beerus arc with 14 episodes, Set 2 would end the Freeza arc with 13 episodes but set 3 would end at episode 40 while the arc itself ends at 41. Set 5 would end at episode 66 while Zamasu's arc itself ends at 67.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:25 am

sintzu wrote:
Bullza wrote:What makes it even more annoying is that the show has 131 episodes so the first Volume could have been 14 episodes and all the rest episodes 13 episodes to make a nice round 10 sets.
You'd still end up with the same problem. Set 1 would end the Beerus arc with 14 episodes, Set 2 would end the Freeza arc with 13 episodes but set 3 would end at episode 40 while the arc itself ends at 41. Set 5 would end at episode 66 while Zamasu's arc itself ends at 67.
That's why I'd make a boxset = to ammount of episodes.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Just finished watching volume 4. My favourite one so far. Trunks's hair bugs me :lol: but that was pretty cool. I think I'm the only UK fan who waited for dub Blu-ray to start watching. But I'm catching up slowly

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:40 am

SSJmole wrote:Just finished watching volume 4. My favourite one so far. Trunks's hair bugs me :lol: but that was pretty cool. I think I'm the only UK fan who waited for dub Blu-ray to start watching. But I'm catching up slowly
You're not alone there. I resisted watching it online for over 2 years just so I could experience it for the first time with my favourite cast and in HD quality, while also supporting an official UK release.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:05 am

90sDBZ wrote:
SSJmole wrote:Just finished watching volume 4. My favourite one so far. Trunks's hair bugs me :lol: but that was pretty cool. I think I'm the only UK fan who waited for dub Blu-ray to start watching. But I'm catching up slowly
You're not alone there. I resisted watching it online for over 2 years just so I could experience it for the first time with my favourite cast and in HD quality, while also supporting an official UK release.
Watching via BD is my 3rd re-watch! (Except RF I didn't buy that...) I do find more and more things I like and appreciate the more I re-watch the series. Still waiting on stock for Part 4, got lazy didn't pre order it.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
Watching via BD is my 3rd re-watch! (Except RF I didn't buy that...) I do find more and more things I like and appreciate the more I re-watch the series. Still waiting on stock for Part 4, got lazy didn't pre order it.
I managed to get part 4 a few days early from base.com and have binged it already. Needless to say its got me excited for the rest of the Goku Black arc :).

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am

90sDBZ wrote: I managed to get part 4 a few days early from base.com and have binged it already. Needless to say its got me excited for the rest of the Goku Black arc :).
Yeah I kinda procrastinated on pre ordering that for weeks now I am paying the price! I believe the next part leaves off 2 episodes before the end of the arc and with how slow FUNi are releasing DBS it'd probably be Jan/Feb time until Part 6 is out /:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:
Same here, 3rd time on these episodes as I watched the Japanese, Funimation dub and am now rewatching the dub with subtitles on the Blu-Ray for comparison sake. For the earlier episodes I also watched the Bang Zoom dub so my Blu-Ray binges for them have been my 4th time.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:16 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
90sDBZ wrote: You're not alone there. I resisted watching it online for over 2 years just so I could experience it for the first time with my favourite cast and in HD quality, while also supporting an official UK release.
I managed to get part 4 a few days early from base.com and have binged it already. Needless to say its got me excited for the rest of the Goku Black arc :).
Me too. Also am crazy or was duplicate vegeta actually the ocean dub vegeta? That's the version I watched on toonami and cnx so hearing it I was like "that sounds like orginal vegeta!!!" Loved that arc so far my favourite arc.

Goku black doesn't do anything for me as a character but the arc is great. I loved trunks been convinced future trunks was his scandalous brother with same name :lol: though I'm confused as I thought trunks couldn't return and each time he goes to a different world so he shouldn't be same one (but it doesn't bug me as much as his damn hair lol)

But arc itself is great as I said and wooo didn't end mid fight so not as bad as other Blu-ray. Also i was so happy arale cameod .

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm

SSJmole wrote:Also am crazy or was duplicate vegeta actually the ocean dub vegeta? That's the version I watched on toonami and cnx so hearing it I was like "that sounds like orginal vegeta!!!" Loved that arc so far my favourite arc.
He was indeed. Sabat cast Brian Drummond as Copy Vegeta, once again showing he is a fan of Dragon Ball first and an ADR director/actor second. It was really the best part of that arc. When I watched it in Japanese I just wanted it to end. The dub was like a dream for not only having Drummond back, but also hear him interact with Sabat and Schemmel on screen.

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
SSJmole wrote:Also am crazy or was duplicate vegeta actually the ocean dub vegeta? That's the version I watched on toonami and cnx so hearing it I was like "that sounds like orginal vegeta!!!" Loved that arc so far my favourite arc.
He was indeed. Sabat cast Brian Drummond as Copy Vegeta, once again showing he is a fan of Dragon Ball first and an ADR director/actor second. It was really the best part of that arc. When I watched it in Japanese I just wanted it to end. The dub was like a dream for not only having Drummond back, but also hear him interact with Sabat and Schemmel on screen.
Agreed! Overall I thought the arc was very week and unoriginal...but was a nice surprise hear his voice. At first I thought the voice could have been Sabat doing his Vegeta when he first got the role, then squashed that and thought it was someone else trying to do Sabats Vegeta, but half way through the EP I was like "nooooo...it can't be Drummond!" Couldn't wait to finish the EP to confirm it.was pretty hyped to see it was him.

Overall hearing Drummond as copy Vegeta acting with Sabats Vegeta was great and made the arc much more interesting as it was unbareable in Japanese.