How long will Dragon Ball Super: Broly be?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

How long will Dragon Ball Super: Broly be?

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Dragon Ball Z movies seemed to not be anymore than an hour but Battle of Gods and Resurrection F were way longer with B.o.G having 1 hour and 25 minutes while R.o.F had 1 hour and 33 minutes.

This time around, we have the Broly movie. From the way they’ve been talking about, it seems like it’ll be incorporating a much larger variety of storylines and content than even Battle of Gods and Resurrection F had. We won’t just be sticking to one place but we’ll be going to multiple places and even times. We’ll have multiple flashbacks and we’ll be going to places like the ice-lands, Planet Vegeta, the volcanic area, etc. We’ll also be getting more history on Broly, Goku, Vegeta, and the saiyans relationship to Freeza.

With so much content, it would feel weird to have to squeeze it all into a movie with not enough time. So I think this movie will be 2 hours long.

In an enterview for the movie, the Chief of the DBRoom said this:
Compared to the continuous, long story of the television series, if you have a two-hour movie, it's easy to come up with a story that's set up and resolved in two hours, so it might have been easy from Toriyama-senseis standpoint as well.

The scenario we received at first, Toriyama-sensei himself said,"I think it might be a bit short.... And so from there we added several plot points. And then it ended up being unexpectedly long (laughs) Now, we're at the point where Toei Animation is expertly pulling it all together, (laughs)
This, while not that good of evidence, makes it seem like, as I though before, they have loads to cover also they’d need as much time as possible and it also makes it seem like 2 hours wouldn’t be too long for a db movie. One Piece Film Gold clocked out at 1 hour and 59 minutes so we know that One Piece goes the distance.

But what do you guys think?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: How long will Dragon Ball Super: Broly be?

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:33 pm

I think it will be between 110 and 130 minutes long. That's just a guess, looking at the featured content we have know (multilayered story in past and present, two rounds of fighting, probably summoning of the dragon etc.).

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 pm

I would say ~2 hours based on what we've been told. One Piece's last three films were of a similar length too, and this seems to be on a similar scale production-wise.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Akira Toriyama quite literally says it takes 2 hours. Why is this even a question? It’s as direct and straightforward as it possibly gets.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 pm

I'd be shocked if the movie was over 120 minutes long. I doubt they'd even have the time to animate enough cuts for that, unless Nagamine implemented smart directing techniques to avoid too many detailed shots.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:38 pm

If this movie really wants to be "the best", it better be at least 2-hour long. With at least one hour and a half being flashback, providing a decent Saiyans backstory and showing and explaining everything that needs to be shown and explained.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:46 pm

A two hour movie would basically be the length of six episodes.

Episode #1: introduction, likely beginning with a flashback before shifting to what Freeza is up to and then picking up with Gokuu and friends after the Tournament of Power.
Episode #2: Gokuu and Vegeta go somewhere and have an initial battle with Broli.
Episode #3: Flashback to the history of the Saiyans?
Episode #4: The final battle with Broli.

Whoops. Not really 'six episodes' worth of plot. Hopefully there's a lot of material not being advertised yet. I'll take anything if it's characters interacting. Actually, just give met twenty minutes of Chirai trying to seduce Freeza-sama.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:06 pm

It'll probably be between 1 hour 45 minutes and 2 hours using the last 3 One Piece Films as reference. Since Toriyama has said that what he wrote was too long, I'm gonna take a guess and say that the film will be 1 hour and 55 minutes long.

It's going to be surreal watching a lengthy Dragon Ball feature. I'm so used to the short, contained stories we've gotten in the past films. They're going for a much larger scope with this one, so a longer run time feels appropriate.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Since Toriyama has said that what he wrote was too long,
Source?

I hope it is 2 and a half hours or so. I want as much story as possible

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:24 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Since Toriyama has said that what he wrote was too long,
Source?

I hope it is 2 and a half hours or so. I want as much story as possible
It was mentioned in the 6th paragraph of this interview with Akio Iyoku.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:37 am

I'd like it to be 2 hours but I think a more realistic expectation is 90-100 minutes cause despite what we've heard seeming long, it might not take as much screen time to show as we think.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:08 am

I think it will be 2 hours long. It wouldn’t make sense for it to be shorter than that, considering how One Piece gets similar length movies and how they said they had to trim Toriyama’s finished script as it turned out to be too long.
They also explicitly mentioned how “it’s probably easier for Toriyama to write a story for a two hours long movie”.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:56 am

A 2hr DB movie is the dream! Only if paced well, BoG extended cut has atrocious pacing so that made sense to cut it, but if they were not being hindered by run time and were able to tell the story they wanted with no limitations and if that happens to be close to 2hrs then great, likewise if it ends up 1hr30 and doesn't feel like there is missing scenes etc then I will be okay with that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Two hours would be more than enough for a movie like this. I'd imagine at least 1/3 of that time would be spent on backstory, lore and general world building.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Hopefully right around the two hour mark, but what I really want is "long enough to tell the story to its fullest." Competent writing and direction making the best use of all the screen time available. Like Baggie mentioned a couple posts above, Battle of Gods Extended Edition is a perfect example of a movie that didn't properly utilize the time it was given and the edited version is a stronger movie for trimming the fat. I think the theatrical edition The Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies is another good example of too little story padded and stretched out for far too long.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 pm

According to the recent interview with director Tatsuya Nagamine (translation by Herms), the film was scheduled to be 90 minutes long, but due to the length of the script it could've ended up being twice as long. Everyone involved has tried to trim down the film, so the run time has been slightly extended from the original 90 minute run. I'm gonna guess again and say the film will be 105 minutes long.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:46 pm

At 180 minutes that's enough material for a nine episode TV arc. When the next TV series is ready to be produced they have enough material for a good first nine episodes already storyboarded!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:20 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:According to the recent interview with director Tatsuya Nagamine (translation by Herms), the film was scheduled to be 90 minutes long, but due to the length of the script it could've ended up being twice as long. Everyone involved has tried to trim down the film, so the run time has been slightly extended from the original 90 minute run. I'm gonna guess again and say the film will be 105 minutes long.
I think it will be around 100-120 minutes long.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:50 am

JulieYBM wrote:At 180 minutes that's enough material for a nine episode TV arc. When the next TV series is ready to be produced they have enough material for a good first nine episodes already storyboarded!
I hope that they will re-use the movie’s animation and extend it with the original storyboard and of course some new elements if needed.
9-10 episodes of Broly arc to kick things up would be cool and surely beneficial for the production of the anime. I hope they won’t have to create completely new material as they did for the retellings of BoG and RoF. Maybe this new movie being under the “Super” brand will make things easier?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:14 am

emperior wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:At 180 minutes that's enough material for a nine episode TV arc. When the next TV series is ready to be produced they have enough material for a good first nine episodes already storyboarded!
I hope that they will re-use the movie’s animation and extend it with the original storyboard and of course some new elements if needed.
9-10 episodes of Broly arc to kick things up would be cool and surely beneficial for the production of the anime. I hope they won’t have to create completely new material as they did for the retellings of BoG and RoF. Maybe this new movie being under the “Super” brand will make things easier?
It depends on Fox, I think. If Fox is involved with this film's production committee I don't think it will be possible to reuse the animation from this film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter