Do you want to see Android 17 in the future?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Do you want to see Android 17 in the future?

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:05 am

Lapislettuce wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:The 2 letters after M. NO! he was the most annoying character in this last arc, he was pushed all over the place. Enough is enough.
"I'm mad because my favorite character wasn't in the tournament so i'm going to bash the one who actually shined" bascially you lol it's not 17's fault that he's more charismatic than the other supporting cast!
LOL u wish, my favorite character indeed was in the Tournament, but at least I don't go to the level of kindergarten when I cause people to get quote notifications.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:05 am

Also considering how quickly 17 became a fan favorite and showed he could stand out as a character, even outshined the saiyans! i see no reason to not bring him back.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:56 am

Not really. He was pushed to absurd unbelievable levels, even above Hit. His personality was grating too.

Don't like him at all personally.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:09 am

Kokonoe wrote:Not really. He was pushed to absurd unbelievable levels, even above Hit. His personality was grating too.

Same here. Cheers, mate! :clap:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:31 am

I wouldn't mind. I would feel hard done by if we don't him again, but I'm not gonna bring out pitchforks if they go forward with the idea of #17 as a central character.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Not really. He was pushed to absurd unbelievable levels, even above Hit. His personality was grating too.

Trunks one shots Freeza
17 one shots Trunks

Trunks in one afternoon literally catches up and manages to fight SSR black
Freeza trains 4 months, new "unbelievable level"
17 trains 10 years, reaches a level a bit under that, now that's absurd

Right.

I wonder what you hated about his personality, he's a lovely character.
Green_Goblin wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:The 2 letters after M. NO! he was the most annoying character in this last arc, he was pushed all over the place. Enough is enough.
"I'm mad because my favorite character wasn't in the tournament so i'm going to bash the one who actually shined" bascially you lol it's not 17's fault that he's more charismatic than the other supporting cast!
LOL u wish, my favorite character indeed was in the Tournament, but at least I don't go to the level of kindergarten when I cause people to get quote notifications.
You seem pretty mad to be honest. I'm not going around shitting on characters I dislike or don't care for because I understand people can enjoy different things, as long as everyone is happy with their characters it's cool. You seem really bitter.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Slaythe wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote: "I'm mad because my favorite character wasn't in the tournament so i'm going to bash the one who actually shined" bascially you lol it's not 17's fault that he's more charismatic than the other supporting cast!
You seem pretty mad to be honest. I'm not going around shitting on characters I dislike or don't care for because I understand people can enjoy different things, as long as everyone is happy with their characters it's cool. You seem really bitter.
LMAO. :lol: u have even surpassed the laughs I had at the pointless Android 17 hype when the Tournament episodes were rolling.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Slaythe wrote:

Trunks one shots Freeza
17 one shots Trunks

Right.

Last we saw him he was equals to 18, probably slightly stronger than her, and below Second Form Cell level.

On an island, on planet earth, where in every other instance a major threat was always detected by the Z Fighters and King Kai, 17 some how on an island managed to power up from below Second Form Cell level to equals with Super Saiyan Blue Goku.

Super Saiyan God was obtained with a ritual with several Saiyans and this gave Goku the only chance he had to entertain Beerus to stop him from destroying the earth. Goku has gotten much stronger since that incident and obtained a stronger form in Super Saiyan Blue. 17 being Blue level means he could've fought with Beerus and done a better job than Goku would've at that point in time, all because he was on a island on earth fighting off poachers.

His power increase is absurd and makes not a lick of sense, much like a lot of aspects about the Super anime.

Personality wise, he's not even the same character as he was in Z. He was never this always calm and collected character with all the answers to every situation, he had more of a attitude. He seems too perfect.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
Slaythe wrote:

Trunks one shots Freeza
17 one shots Trunks

Right.

Last we saw him he was equals to 18, probably slightly stronger than her, and below Second Form Cell level.

On an island, on planet earth, where in every other instance a major threat was always detected by the Z Fighters and King Kai, 17 some how on an island managed to power up from below Second Form Cell level to equals with Super Saiyan Blue Goku.

Super Saiyan God was obtained with a ritual with several Saiyans and this gave Goku the only chance he had to entertain Beerus to stop him from destroying the earth. Goku has gotten much stronger since that incident and obtained a stronger form in Super Saiyan Blue. 17 being Blue level means he could've fought with Beerus and done a better job than Goku would've at that point in time, all because he was on a island on earth fighting off poachers.

His power increase is absurd and makes not a lick of sense, much like a lot of aspects about the Super anime.

Personality wise, he's not even the same character as he was in Z. He was never this always calm and collected character with all the answers to every situation, he had more of a attitude. He seems too perfect.
100% Agree. Both him and 18 were even weaker than the first form Cell who absorbed 17. Where was this "new and always cool" Android 17 in the Majin Buu Conflict? Where was he when Frieza attacked the Earth after reaching a lower realm of power than the Super Saiyan Blue 17 was tested against? Android 17 is a spoof and his writing is a joke that is for some reason not graspable for his fans/new fanboys for some reason which is beyond logic.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
Slaythe wrote:

Trunks one shots Freeza
17 one shots Trunks

Right.

1) He's not equal to Blue, Goku was holding back as stated by himself, so was 17 but the point is that 17 is really strong. He's just not "blue level". Also Beerus was toying with Goku and was far beyond their level. Beerus was impressed by Goku's rapid progress and the fact he retained the power, he didn't think he was actually impressive. He literally called him a huge disappointment. Which is where 17 is in terms of raw power...

2) Gohan and Trunks needed a day to catch up with the super saiyan blues with no ritual and whatever else you're talking about. Hit improved literally mid battle cause he wanted to, Freeza needed 4 months.

3) Goku and Vegeta have a terrible track record of reaching new levels on their own compared to other characters with high potential (Freeza, Hit, Trunks, Gohan, now 17), they take more time and effort, but their hard work does put them on top

4) 17 didn't get stronger because he's fighting poachers. You can train to improve yourself without having an enemy. 17 learned to boost his speed and his protective abilities, all that with an infinite stamina which means he can push himself more than others, in the span of 10 years. 17's wits, his stamina and his abilities is what allowed him to shine more than "'he's super saiyan blue now !".

5) He was a lot stronger than 18. 18 was on Super Saiyan vegeta's level, 17 was on fused piccolo's level. But even then, 17 didn't get to train, Cell had to absorb MILLIONS of humans to surpass Piccolo (and thus 17), and then sneaked up on them.

6) 17 was in fact really calm and collected, watch his introduction again, when he killed Gero, when he intervened to prevent the others from stopping Vegeta vs 18, how he told Krilin to hurry and feed them senzy beans so they could heal before they died etc...

7) He is the same character just more mature... He still drives a car, he likes to roleplay (as seen with Ribrianne), he just learned a lot from his mistakes. Even in Z he kept his cool most of the times. When Piccolo almost killed him, the first thing he said was "hey, you should respect nature" while casually smiling. And then he was able to create a barrier (a thing only he has done in the manga for the record) to avoid a deadly trap. The only time he stopped being calm and collected was when Cell appeared. But everyone collectively stopped having a brain at this exact moment too. He was a teenager who thought he was on top of the world and got put in his place in the worst way. This is 10 years later. (and for the record, the original Z dub is a disaster when it comes to his behavior and dialogues so keep that in mind if that's what you base your sentiment off)

It's also revealed he saw everything while within Cell, so he learned a ton from that as well. (Both in terms of fighting, since present 17 had never used any ki attack and had never charged up his energy, things he does frequently now, but he also learned a ton in terms of morals and humility)

8 ) He's not perfect, but he's something we didn't have in a very long time in Dragon Ball. He felt very refreshing and funny to me. I am actually sad that you hate him. I hope one day you can reconsider.
Green_Goblin wrote:
Both him and 18 were even weaker than the first form Cell who absorbed 17. Where was this "new and always cool" Android 17 in the Majin Buu Conflict? Where was he when Frieza attacked the Earth after reaching a lower realm of power than the Super Saiyan Blue 17 was tested against? Android 17 is a spoof and his writing is a joke that is for some reason not graspable for his fans/new fanboys for some reason which is beyond logic.

1) Cell had to absorb millions of people to boost himself past 17, who was originally a whole lot stronger than him.

2) 17 can't feel ki, and he had never seen the babidi transmissions. We know this because he didn't see Goku going Super Saiyan 3, and he states his only knowledge of Buu comes from the genkidama request. As to why, either his island was so far away babidi didn't bother sending telepathic waves there, or he didn't feel 17's presence at all since he's an android. (18 was surrounded by humans but 17 was on a remote island )

3) Same thing for Freeza, he had 0 idea and no way to know, as he wasn't even in touch with 18 at this time. Also for the record Golden Freeza was stated to be stronger than Blue. Just more draining.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:22 am

No I actually like his tragic story arc with him having a family and later on becoming Super 17 and dying when he remembers what 18 means to him, giving her and Goku an opening to end his life.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:58 am

We already saw him in the future in the History of Trunks movie.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:58 am

I'd be happy if we never saw 17 again. Let him end on a high note, most Dragon Ball characters don't get that luxury.

What they did with him felt like a one-off for that arc, it's not like they laid the foundation for him to do anything afterward, unlike Freeza. And Gohan *cough*