New Characters A & B investigation & speculation *potential spoilers*

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

New Characters A & B investigation & speculation *potential spoilers*

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Didn't want to derail the merch thread too much with this so decided was better of having it's own thread.

Some bit of context about Bandai Spirits they were a subsidiary of Bandai formed on April of this year with their mission being focused on high end figures and models and as a result the distribution of the Ichiban Kuji shifted over to Bandai Spirits however Banpresto are still involved in the production of the prizes however Bandai Spirits have enlisted new companies such as King Clustar to help with production of figures. Now what the point of me explaining that is, Banpresto planned and got to sculpting figures for the movie late 2017/early 2018 and so since Bandai Spirits took over the Ichiban Kuji in April means the planning of the movie Ichiban Kuji for the movie happened around then meaning if by any chance there were changes in script etc from October 2017 (when the designs were completed) would be reflected in this Ichiban Kuji. It also explains why the Ichiban Kuji Broly shown off an Wonder Fes wasn't coloured despite Banpresto's December figures being fully coloured as early as May of this year!

So, early December (most likely the 8th) Bandai Spirits will start distributing the movie Ichiban Kuji nationwide across Japan with 5 figures as the top prizes, which include SS Broly Full Power, Theatrical New Character A & B, SSGSS Goku and SS Goku (and a different colouring for Broly as part of LO and DC prizes). So no Freeza & Vegeta... so apparently these two new characters will be deemed important and popular enough over them to get an Ichiban Kuji prize. Ichiban Kuji are the highest form of prize figures, so it's a massive risk for two "new characters" to be apart of something like this.

However this is where things get interested, Bandai Spirits/ Banpresto are distributing 3 figures from the Ichiban Kuji overseas, Broly, SSGSS Goku and one of the new characters as a result we got production images:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

No even a silhouette for the figure unlike 2015 when they practically gave away Vegeta was gonna have a new form in the production image:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

So one of the new characters is now important and expected to be popular enough to be released overseas... From May's Ichiban Kuji which included: UI Goku, SSGSS Vegeta & Vegetto, SS Trunks, SS2 Gohan and UI "Omen" Goku". Only UI Goku, SSGSS Vegeta and Vegetto were released overseas.

The movie WCF also adds something very interesting...:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

2 characters, B and C, are blanked but are over ratio at 12 each now this is where things get very very interesting Banpresto only ever over ratio characters that are popular and usually have plenty of figures so your Goku's, Vegeta's and Freeza's and Vegetto's... However those characters if blanked are usually labelled. For genuinely new characters Banpresto usually under ratio and that is matched with D & F so are 6 & 4 respectively for example Kale and Jiren were 6 & 4 when the ToP WCF came out last year. However the WCF doesn't specify whether the blanked characters are new or not and it could be likely spoilers regarding older characters but with the 6 and 4 ratio it looks pretty likely they will be new characters. And if people have been following merch news know that ever since DBS started Banpresto/Bandai have only released one scale figure (in Japan) for a genuine new character, Champa in 2016.

So 2 blanked characters from the new movie are expected to be really popular!

My thoughts, now this could very well be one character with 2 forms (as in the past the highest forms of characters from Ichiban Kuji are released overseas) but they are labelled as A & B specifically and the WCF don't tend to release same ratio of forms for a character. But at any rate I think Fusion (Gogeta) looks very very likely at this point. It's the only one that fits all the circumstance:

.2 new characters important and expected popular enough over Vegeta and Freeza to be a part of the Ichiban Kuji line up.
.1 of the new characters expected to be that popular enough to be released overseas.
.2 blanked characters expected to be very popular and thus over ratio for the WCF.

In September we'll have January Banpresto scans as well as Bandai's December gashapon's scans as well as the next prize fair which will show off figures from Jan to March 2019.

So thoughts?

Edit-

Something
else interesting I forgot to mention the listings for the overseas figures have Broly at 30cm and SSGSS Goku and new character at 20cm both...!
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Re: New Characters A & B investigation & speculation *potential spoilers*

Post by Zen Yabuki » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Very interesting read. Gogeta being a real possibility is true. We’ll have to wait and see

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Didn't want to derail the merch thread too much with this so decided was better of having it's own thread.

Some bit of context about Bandai Spirits they were a subsidiary of Bandai formed on April of this year with their mission being focused on high end figures and models and as a result the distribution of the Ichiban Kuji shifted over to Bandai Spirits however Banpresto are still involved in the production of the prizes however Bandai Spirits have enlisted new companies such as King Clustar to help with production of figures. Now what the point of me explaining that is, Banpresto planned and got to sculpting figures for the movie late 2017/early 2018 and so since Bandai Spirits took over the Ichiban Kuji in April means the planning of the movie Ichiban Kuji for the movie happened around then meaning if by any chance there were changes in script etc from October 2017 (when the designs were completed) would be reflected in this Ichiban Kuji. It also explains why the Ichiban Kuji Broly shown off an Wonder Fes wasn't coloured despite Banpresto's December figures being fully coloured as early as May of this year!

So, early December (most likely the 8th) Bandai Spirits will start distributing the movie Ichiban Kuji nationwide across Japan with 5 figures as the top prizes, which include SS Broly Full Power, Theatrical New Character A & B, SSGSS Goku and SS Goku (and a different colouring for Broly as part of LO and DC prizes). So no Freeza & Vegeta... so apparently these two new characters will be deemed important and popular enough over them to get an Ichiban Kuji prize. Ichiban Kuji are the highest form of prize figures, so it's a massive risk for two "new characters" to be apart of something like this.

However this is where things get interested, Bandai Spirits/ Banpresto are distributing 3 figures from the Ichiban Kuji overseas, Broly, SSGSS Goku and one of the new characters as a result we got production images:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

No even a silhouette for the figure unlike 2015 when they practically gave away Vegeta was gonna have a new form in the production image:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

So one of the new characters is now important and expected to be popular enough to be released overseas... From May's Ichiban Kuji which included: UI Goku, SSGSS Vegeta & Vegetto, SS Trunks, SS2 Gohan and UI "Omen" Goku". Only UI Goku, SSGSS Vegeta and Vegetto were released overseas.

The movie WCF also adds something very interesting...:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

2 characters, B and C, are blanked but are over ratio at 12 each now this is where things get very very interesting Banpresto only ever over ratio characters that are popular and usually have plenty of figures so your Goku's, Vegeta's and Freeza's and Vegetto's... However those characters if blanked are usually labelled. For genuinely new characters Banpresto usually under ratio and that is matched with D & F so are 6 & 4 respectively for example Kale and Jiren were 6 & 4 when the ToP WCF came out last year. However the WCF doesn't specify whether the blanked characters are new or not and it could be likely spoilers regarding older characters but with the 6 and 4 ratio it looks pretty likely they will be new characters. And if people have been following merch news know that ever since DBS started Banpresto/Bandai have only released one scale figure (in Japan) for a genuine new character, Champa in 2016.

So 2 blanked characters from the new movie are expected to be really popular!

My thoughts, now this could very well be one character with 2 forms (as in the past the highest forms of characters from Ichiabn Kuji are released overseas) but they are labelled as A & B specifically and the WCF don't tend to release same ratio of forms for a character. But at any rate I think Fusion (Gogeta) looks very very likely at this point. It's the only one that fits all the circumstance:

.2 new characters important and expected popular enough over Vegeta and Freeza to be a part of the Ichiban Kuji line up.
.1 of the new characters expected to be that popular enough to be released overseas.
.2 blanked characters expected to be very popular and thus over ratio for the WCF.

In September we'll have January Banpresto scans as well as Bandai's December gashapon's scans as well as the next prize fair which will show off figures from Jan to March 2019.

So thoughts?

Edit-

Something
else interesting I forgot to mention the listings for the overseas figures have Broly at 30cm and SSGSS Goku and new character at 20cm both...!
That’s. Very insightful, I look forward to the movie and it’s results.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:00 pm

I'm sticking with my guess that they are Gogeta and Bardock.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I'm sticking with my guess that they are Gogeta and Bardock.
I honestly can't think of anyone else who'd fit the ratios of those WCF figures, or at least SOME sort of Goku fusion if not Gogeta. It's hard to imagine Bandai making a big push like that on a completely new character.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 am

I don't know if there's nearly enough information to warrant a well-grounded hypothesis yet. What qualifies as a "new character"? How liberally does merchandising incorporate this term?

Gogeta and Bardock are plausible enough, but it all seems very hush-hush.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:56 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I'm sticking with my guess that they are Gogeta and Bardock.
This appears to be the most likely result

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:01 am

Probably at least one of them is the green alien lady that serves Frieza and a alternative could be a form or a fusion of Goku and/or Vegeta.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:47 am

I think one of them may be Yamoshi. He probably wasn’t just name dropped to stay confined in a interview. Or at least that’s what I hope.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:31 am

I don’t know. One interesting matchup would be in my mind was Gohan and Freeza vs Hit.

Gohan and Freeza both seem to work quite well together against Dyspo, one could say their unique strategy of trapping the enemy in one place to where Dyspo and his ridiculous speed couldn’t be used against them if it wouldn’t already get him in trouble. Hit traps his enemies too, in a time cage. Where they can’t move.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:07 am

Seems like were together on this buddy.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:16 am

Marlowe89 wrote:I don't know if there's nearly enough information to warrant a well-grounded hypothesis yet. What qualifies as a "new character"? How liberally does merchandising incorporate this term?

Gogeta and Bardock are plausible enough, but it all seems very hush-hush.
This is the first time we've ever had something like this, in general before this year DB merchandise hasn't been mirroring when things have been happening in the series for example BoG didn't get merchandise until 2014, DBS didn't get proper marketing & merch until 2017. But the closest we have is that for mastered UI they did provisionally label merch for it as "new form Son Goku" a lot of people assumed this was UI "Omen" Goku that debuted in October but no it wasn't and they were right to provisionally label it "new form Son Goku". So I think labelling the Character(s) as "new" I think it definitely rules out the possibility of existing characters and that's why I don't think it is Bardock since he appeared in Kai and in the original manga and in minus so he is far from new, meanwhile Gogeta would technically get away with being "new" in the same way Broly is. Or perhaps not Gogeta but either an different fusion or entirely new fusion of Goku and Vegeta.

The biggest thing is they are banking absolutely banking on these two new characters to be really popular overseas as well, ever since DBS started in 2015 they have taken a zero risk approach to new characters* with the exception of Goku Black... So logically I think these two new characters (or it could be one but with 2 forms and they're treating it as a separate character for now) must be a spin on an older pre existing character(s).

*(In fact it is just zero risk in general which is why we constantly get SSGSS, Goku and now UI merch they sell that is all that matters why risk releasing something different when SSGSS Goku will get them orders in... I say that as someone's who's favourite form is SSGSS! Even Vegeta and Freeza got shafted for the ToP merch in favour of Goku, Goku, Goku! Looks like they will both continue to get shafted for the new movie aswell...)

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Ok.

Gogeta and Yamoshi.

Thats the main guess. Not only do i think it makes sense, but it’s what I would want the most aswell.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 pm

emperior wrote:I think one of them may be Yamoshi. He probably wasn’t just name dropped to stay confined in a interview. Or at least that’s what I hope.
You and me both man.

The way i see it is, the interview was released around the time everyone was done creating the full scenario/plot for the movie so the time checks out. The first tagline for the movie was “the origins of the saiyans’ power”. The direct answer to that is S-Cells. S-Cells happened to be mentioned in the interview which further supposrts that its possible that some of the stuff Toriyama revealed in the interview is relevant to the movie like Yamoshi for example. And some could say that technically Yamoshi is an important part of the origins of saiyans gaining a form that gives them access to god ki. So that can fit under the origins of the saiyans power. Also he’s the first ssj.

And he’s a new character.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Master Xar wrote:I don’t know. One interesting matchup would be in my mind was Gohan and Freeza vs Hit.

Gohan and Freeza both seem to work quite well together against Dyspo, one could say their unique strategy of trapping the enemy in one place to where Dyspo and his ridiculous speed couldn’t be used against them if it wouldn’t already get him in trouble. Hit traps his enemies too, in a time cage. Where they can’t move.
Wrong thread

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:42 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Ok.

Gogeta and Yamoshi.

Thats the main guess. Not only do i think it makes sense, but it’s what I would want the most aswell.
What if... A Goku and Yamoshi fusion....? That would be sick!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Ok.

Gogeta and Yamoshi.

What if... A Goku and Yamoshi fusion....? That would be sick!
Id take that too. That sounds pretty cool.