Namekian's Regeneration

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Namekian's Regeneration

Post by Amir » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:00 am

So...can they or are they supposed to regenerate anything other than their arms? Cause Piccolo died by the hands of Nappa and Frieza and he couldn't regenerate, yet he did manage to regenerate several broken limbs when Trunks broke him to pieces and he also regenerated the hole in his chest that Frost caused...

I think it's a major issue that started in Z and Super simply continued to make it just as bad.
Cell has Piccolo's cells and he can actually use those regeneration cells like they should work ( though they blew it with the head), but the namekians can't for some reason.

Sadly, it's too late to fix that plot hole. I mean, how could they make sense out of all those inconsistencies?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: Namekian's Regeneration

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 am

Generally, a Namekian's regeneration depends on how strong he is, though the strength of an attack they're hit with also factors in.

Normally, Namekians can replace limbs fine, though at the loss of significant energy unless they become strong enough.

Their bodies, however, are still vulnerable, as are their heads. Unless they become strong enough to regenerate from attacks to these areas, they tend to die. However, the exception is an exceptionally powerful attack from someone particularly powerful, such as when First Form Freeza killed Piccolo. If an attack is powerful enough, even if a Namekian could normally regenerate from the wound, he'll die.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:24 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:However, the exception is an exceptionally powerful attack from someone particularly powerful, such as when First Form Freeza killed Piccolo. If an attack is powerful enough, even if a Namekian could normally regenerate from the wound, he'll die.
I find that a strange thought, why would the power behind the attack matter, if it just produces similar results as a weaker attack?

A hole in the abdomen from one attack =/= a hole in the abdomen from a stronger attack?

To me that doesn't seem logical. Only way it would matter IMO is if the victim, tried to stop the attack with their own ki, thus exhausting their power.
That's what I think happened when Piccolo died against Nappa and Freeza, also explaining why Freeza's blast didn't penetrate him fully.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:32 pm

I'm going to go with how much energy the Namekian has left and his mind(Piccolo always had to make an effort). When Piccolo was at death's door he simply could do anything, it was always said regeneration costs a noticeable amount of Ki. That's pretty much it.

I don't see any plot-hole in regards to this besides, you know, Cell not dying at the hands of Goku's Warp Kamehameha.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 pm

You guys are forgetting when Dabura turned Piccolo into stone, Trunks knocked his statue and it fell to the ground, breaking. Piccolo was able to regenerate as long as his head is intact.
[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]

Perfect Cell was different as he was able to regenerate his head even after Goku kamehameha'd his face. This is because he can regenerate from any cell. His regeneration is much more advanced than a Namekian's.

In general, regeneration costs ki. Even when Fat Buu was fighting Kid Buu, Fat Buu was running out of ki. He couldn't even do a single ki blast anymore. It was getting harder for him to regenerate.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:43 pm

shadowfox87 wrote:You guys are forgetting when Dabura turned Piccolo into stone, Trunks knocked his statue and it fell to the ground, breaking. Piccolo was able to regenerate as long as his head is intact.
[spoiler]ImageImage[/spoiler]

Perfect Cell was different as he was able to regenerate his head even after Goku kamehameha'd his face. This is because he can regenerate from any cell. His regeneration is much more advanced than a Namekian's.

In general, regeneration costs ki. Even when Fat Buu was fighting Kid Buu, Fat Buu was running out of ki. He couldn't even do a single ki blast anymore. It was getting harder for him to regenerate.
Boo's regeneration is probably the most impressive in this regard: the fact his ki ONLY ever seemed to drop when he was getting hurt by another Boo basically meant that even while getting stomped, Boo wasn't expending any ki at all to fix himself up when fighting Goku, Gohan, Gotenks, Vegetto, Vegeta,...
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm

One. Really wasn’t expecting. So. So much, and I just wanna say, while Piccolo’s regeneration definitely. definitely came back from regeneration a bit... too much at one caused a few, functions of his to slow to, a crawl. He normally has far better regeneration he. Needs. Time to let this all sink in.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:51 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: Boo's regeneration is probably the most impressive in this regard: the fact his ki ONLY ever seemed to drop when he was getting hurt by another Boo basically meant that even while getting stomped, Boo wasn't expending any ki at all to fix himself up when fighting Goku, Gohan, Gotenks, Vegetto, Vegeta,...
Yea, and just to add to this point - a lot of people thought that Boo's ki was unlimited but it is not. Toriyama was asked in an interview why Boo eats candy and he responded that he does it simply because he likes it. Boo doesn't need to eat or gain energy from food. However, he still has his own ki that is limited.
[spoiler]Image
Source: Chapter 515[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:00 am

In inuverse it probably depends on the velocity rate of the regeneration or how much energy is required and maybe even the effort of the Namek. I excuse King Piccolo's torso wound by saying that it was too big too heal o When Nappa killed Piccolo I had the impression that he was roasted alive and it was too late and too much to heal.