The manga is its own thing

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The manga is its own thing

Post by Bergamo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 am

Miracles wrote:
Bergamo wrote:1. That's not quite how you use headcanon.
2. There is no way to tell whether or not the movie will be following the manga or the anime.
3. Being the sequel to Toriyama's manga doesn't mean it's the main continuity. Toriyama's manga isn't the main canon anymore. Dragon Ball Room has created a system where Dragon Ball is an expansive franchise with no one defined timeline. The timeline showed at SDCC is merely the manga timeline. It is interesting that there was no anime timeline on display though.
1. It is headcannon when you mention something the story didn't. Saying the movie is continuity to the anime when no such thing was mentioned is exactly headcannon.
2. I wasn't discussing whether the movie will be following the anime or manga nor did I state which one it's following.
3. All that in your third sentence, is headcannon also. Shueisha itself has labeled the history of DB, starting with Toriyama's manga, following with the Super manga. Nowhere was it stated that Toriyama's original isn't the main canon, lol.

This isn't hard people, just stop trying to avoid the truth with mental gymnastics and accept it.
Don't get me wrong. In the new movie they've revealed SSG Vegeta, yet Kaioken and Evolution are nowhere to be seen. When they revealed character designs at SDCC they showed them following a MANGA timeline. I recognize this, but every piece of merch and every video game has been based off the Dragon Ball Super anime, and I don't know if they are going to do a complete 180 with which medium is the main product. I'm going to wait for the movie to come out, and I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 am

Miracles wrote:You need to read more carefully. I'm not disagreeing that the movie will continue from the the anime's TOP arc as the next story. It didn't say anything about covering the anime version of events [That's your headcannon]. Neither am I denying that the anime and manga are official continuations of Toriyama's story checked by him. ]
Like I said, It was already announced that Toyotaro will have his own version of the events. So unless Toyotaro will have two iterations of his own story, the anime's continuity will be in the movie. What you call "head canon" I call "basic logic."
However, Shueisha has shown the Super manga is stamped as the main continuity of Toriyama's DB. It's right there in writing, while you have nothing but side arguments that have nothing to do with canon/continuity of Toriyama's original manga which is the Super manga.
They really didn't. They simply said that it was an official continuation of the original manga. That does not mean that it is any more of a "main" continuity than the anime. There was no comparison to the anime in terms of one being more "main" than the other. Both are equally canon and official you are simply extrapolating something that was clearly not the intention.
This isn't hard people, just stop trying to avoid the truth with mental gymnastics and accept it.
You are literally doing mental gymnastics to extrapolate what wasn't actually stated. This is hilarious.
Last edited by PFM18 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:03 am

And here we are at the canonicity argument again, and once again brought up just because some translator who has nothing to do with "being authority" wanted to use that word, "defended" by stuff like "it officially has Shueisha's name under it". Yeah, because Shueisha owns Dragon Ball. Don't think for a second they have some Japanese translator checking if the English translator used such a word. They have no interest in that. Only Westerners are so stubborn.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:56 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:You need to read more carefully. I'm not disagreeing that the movie will continue from the the anime's TOP arc as the next story. It didn't say anything about covering the anime version of events [That's your headcannon]. Neither am I denying that the anime and manga are official continuations of Toriyama's story checked by him. ]
Like I said, It was already announced that Toyotaro will have his own version of the events. So unless Toyotaro will have two iterations of his own story, the anime's continuity will be in the movie. What you call "head canon" I call "basic logic."
However, Shueisha has shown the Super manga is stamped as the main continuity of Toriyama's DB. It's right there in writing, while you have nothing but side arguments that have nothing to do with canon/continuity of Toriyama's original manga which is the Super manga.
They really didn't. They simply said that it was an official continuation of the original manga. That does not mean that it is any more of a "main" continuity than the anime. There was no comparison to the anime in terms of one being more "main" than the other. Both are equally canon and official you are simply extrapolating something that was clearly not the intention.
You are literally doing mental gymnastics to extrapolate what wasn't actually stated. This is hilarious.
You are the one running from the official Shueisha timeline which they consider DB history. It's manga only and the anime isn't even in the history there. They even use the manga's TOP as continuation even tho it's not even finished. Toyotaro's events are always different from the anime yet they still stamped it as the only continuity of DB. You keep saying the movie is based on the anime yet in the trailer we see manga red Vegeta and no SSBE or KK Blue, which are anime originals. The facts are there, you can't dodge them with headcannon.
Last edited by Miracles on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Both stories were given an original draft by Toriyama but both Toei and Toyotarō adapted the story in their own way so it's really up to your fandom to decide unless Toriyama openly dismisses one or the other which he'll imo never do cheers lol

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
You are the one running from the official Shueisha timeline which they consider DB history. It's manga only and the anime isn't even in the history there. They even use the manga's TOP as continuation even tho it's not even finished. Toyotaro's events are always different from the anime yet they still stamped it as the only continuity of DB. You keep saying the movie is based on the anime yet in the trailer we see manga red Vegeta and no SSBE or KK Blue, which are anime originals. The facts are there, you can't dodge them with headcannon.
yeah they didn't stamp it as the only continuity of DB.(thank god) Really, none of that means what you think it means but I'm done discussing this with you.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 pm

PFM18 wrote:yeah they didn't stamp it as the only continuity of DB.(thank god) Really, none of that means what you think it means but I'm done discussing this with you.
It comes down to having to put up or shut up. Shueisha only has the manga as the continuity [not the anime] and the Broly movie is continuity from the manga according to them. You got nothing. :)

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:28 pm

Once people stop categorizing everything in mutually-exclusive terms, the answer is simple. Like, really simple.

The manga was designed to be a comicalization of the anime. However, the manga is also a sequel to the original manga - if that wasn't already obvious from the fact that it's blatantly the same format - as confirmed by Dragon Ball Tour and other advertising materials.

And that's it. Nothing is "more canon" than the other, but everything follows an established continuity. This isn't something that needs to incite a heated debate.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 am

Marlowe89 wrote: The manga was designed to be a comicalization of the anime. However, the manga is also a sequel to the original manga - if that wasn't already obvious from the fact that it's blatantly the same format - as confirmed by Dragon Ball Tour and other advertising materials.
Not exactly mate, it's not the format that is relevant, original DB anime was an adaptation from the original DB manga, while just like I said just above both Super anime and manga are adaptations themselves of Toriyama's drafts, it's not quite the same thing,
the anime is indeed the main product but it doesn't mean it is more canon than the manga, I know it's a messy but it's how it is and we have to deal with it, at least we kinda have the freedom to choose according to our preference for once lol

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Not exactly mate, it's not the format that is relevant, original DB anime was an adaptation from the original DB manga, while just like I said just above both Super anime and manga are adaptations themselves of Toriyama's drafts, it's not quite the same thing,
Adaptational differences have nothing to do with that. Super's staff has already admitted to writing their stories around the sensibilities of the medium and that medium's audience, so the format is always relevant.

I'm saying that both stances are correct. The anime is the "main" product, but that doesn't stop the manga from being a continuation of the original Dragon Ball manga as it was officially stated to be. Neither point exists in a vacuum.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:42 am

I just consider it Manga cannon to the original Dragon Ball manga and Super is a follow up to Kai where GT is for Z.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I just consider it Manga cannon to the original Dragon Ball manga and Super is a follow up to Kai where GT is for Z.
I recall in the anime Future Trunks mentioned that he became a SSJ after Future Gohan was killed which references the Future Trunks TV Special. I'm pretty sure Gregory only appeared in the anime but not in the manga. When Ginyu switched bodies with Tagoma in the anime, didn't Bulma bring up how Ginyu switched bodies with her back on Namek? That was one of the scenes of filler kept in Kai. Maybe the DBS anime is intended to be a sequel to Kai? There were some discrepancies like showing the villains in hell during Buu saga but other than that I think it fits with the other filler material left behind from DBZ.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:The anime is the "main" product, but that doesn't stop the manga from being a continuation of the original Dragon Ball manga as it was officially stated to be
Agreed but one can also consider the manga is the continuation of the DB/Z anime just as much lol

GohanHiddenPowers

Post by GohanHiddenPowers » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:40 pm

I couldn't care less about what is the main product, and if the anime or the manga is the main continuity, starting right after the little time-skip after Boo. That's subjective. Taste is taste, it is difficult to debate. Numbers will always be the best way to debate. But still, sometimes, something that sells a lot, be it anime or manga, is not synonymous with quality. Quality is different from quantity. Sometimes quality and quantity go together, sometimes not. But overall, putting everything together (manga, anime, movies, ovas, games...), Dragon Ball is undoubtedly a successful franchise.

As a fan, I can say that the manga is doing a better job, specially with Gohan, in the ToP, by letting him fight against Kefla and, who knows, even more people. This notion of him only fighting or studying ruins the manga, the character. He is the balance bettwen power, potential, desire to fight and protect, because he has his father's blood, after all. If the anime returns, he deserves to be side by ide with Vegeta and Goku, and even surpass them sometimes, because he always gains power in less time, with less difficulty. Imagine Gohan training with hakaishins and angels...