Fan Service Tipping Point in DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: Fan Service Tipping Point in DBS

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:52 pm

The most bothering fanservice is the overuse of Goku and Vegeta, despite them being main characters, their omni-presence kills the value of other characters.

Moments like the Trunks- Spirit Sword were less bothersome and gave a good laugh eventually.

It helps sometimes if one doesn't take Super too seriously. :crazy:
As long as we don't get something extremely weird like Master Roshi getting UI from nowhere or something like that in the anime ...
But it could make the humans relevant again. 8)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:30 pm

The fanservice tipping point was when Caulifa was powering up her big muscle form and her boobs got HUGE. Boob growth is definitely a fanservice tipping point.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:04 pm

theTUN wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
TheOne wrote: Is that a tipping point or something that you’re just not a fan of? I think they’ve handled his return pretty well so far. The only reason he cooperated was because it was in his best interest. Now that he’s learned how effective “teamwork” is, we might have a good story on our hands in the Broly movie.

I still would’ve preferred Cell though.
Perhaps both. I found Freeza's return to be unnecessary since his story was done with long ago, and once they brought him back, they didn't do enough with him in Resurrection of F other than giving him a powerup. I will admit Resurrection of F seems better in hindsight because they did something more interesting with Freeza in a later arc, the Tournament of Power, such as giving him some development in personality and doing mental training to reduce his golden form strain, having him scheme in overthrowing the gods (sadly, a dropped plot point in the anime), and team up with the man that he hates the most, and this is coming from someone who hated that Freeza would be brought up again in the tournament instead of Majin Buu.
You can't say it's a dropped plot point when Frieza still clearly has a large role to play in the movie.
We'll see, but I'm not crossing my fingers over it.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:50 pm

The surrendering to the Yamcha meme and animating it in the end of episode 70 which was the greatest filler in Super!

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:53 pm

For me, it was when we got introduced to Caulifla and Kale. I just can't get over how much I dislike these two (or at least Caulifla). The whole female Saiyans thing was already fanservicey fanfiction, but they really went overboard with it. Kale, on first impressions was just a female version of a non-canon fan-favorite character and Caulifla was a Mary Sue, these characters then went on to have most of their episodes only really there to serve the purpose of introducing another Power-up for one or both of them. I legit stopped watching Dragon Ball Super for a solid 3 months because of this BS.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Vegetto: DBS pretty much exposed him as nothing more than a piece of trash character who says cliche 1 liners and adds nothing to the plot, I was so happy Trunks surpassed him with the power of Ikari.

Most of the Goku moments in the ToP, and ka ka ka kachidaze becoming the most annoying and overused song in the last 5 years since Hai Yo from Berserk.