Did Zamasu ever care about Gowasu? (in the anime and manga)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Did Zamasu ever care about Gowasu? (in the anime and manga)

Post by Cetra » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:29 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Another thing that makes no sense about Gowasu, then. He is convinced that Gods of Creation must observe, not destroy, so why did he choose Zamasu as his successor based solely on his fighting skills? Yes, Zamasu, was a natural prodigy and a fighting genius, but if a Supreme Kai must never use violence, because that is the job of a Destroyer, then why did Gowasu choose Zamasu as his successor in the first place?

Also, I totally forgot about that flashback to when Future Zamasu first met Goku Black. You could see that he was clearly shocked by his master's death. If he felt nothing for Gowasu, he wouldn't have rushed to check if he was truly dead, with clearly a stressed tone and a terrified expression.
The manga basically (at least) answers this by Gowasu telling Zamasu that he should consider it as training for his own being, a calm and peaceful heart. So either he chose Zamasu because he considered that some sort of good preparation or his strength was not important at all, as it also could be understood that way and he just told him that to not consider it a waste of time but instead something that helped nonetheless. I think he just saw a potentially great god in Zamasu and that "pure heart" that Toriyama-san says that Zamasu (apparently) has. Something he was right about. It is all about the modalities. Zamasu's preferred modalities simply were not what Gowasu expected.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Zamas cared until he realized Gowasu's ideals were against his. So he killed the dude...lol.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:29 am

bleed0range wrote:He is a psychopath and they are known for being incapable of feeling compassion of others and are usually narcissistic. Generally they see others as merely a tool and often will manipulate others to get their way. They are sometimes murderers and this is why it is so easy for them to kill. They don’t see human beings as human beings. This fits Zamasu to a tee. So no, I don’t think he ever cared. He is incapable of caring about anyone other than himself.
This actually fits lol

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:43 am

It seemed that at first (from being promoted and probably even before that) and till he lost his grip in reality and fell for his bloody and evil desires/urges, Zamasu did respected Gowasu and probably admired and felt sympathy towards him.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:51 am

Evidence suggests that any admiration Zamasu had for Gowasu was merely because of his status as a god. There was rarely ever any mutual agreement between the two as their ideologies and philosophies were just complete polar opposites. As a result, it made Zamasu question Gowasu's position, as well as any respect he held for him; utimately believing himself to be the better god in comparison.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:47 am

It seemed that he did, until Zamasu got the idea for the Zero Mortals Plan. Then he became an obstacle that needed to be done away with. He never really seemed to hesitate on that (in fact, manga Black seemed quite gleeful to kill him 3 times), so it is questionable how deeply he actually did care. Perhaps he respected him at first, but then once he realized their ideologies were completely opposite, he lost whatever reverence he'd previously had for him.

In the anime, we did see future Zamasu looking quite distraught when Black first appeared and murdered Gowasu. Having never met Gokuu, perhaps that version of Zamasu had never been triggered enough to where he'd revealed his doubts about mortals, and thus his relationship with Gowasu had been less strained. Though he was very quick to embrace accept his other self's proposal when he came in like, "hey babe, wanna kill all mortals?", so it obviously must've been an idea he'd thought about before then.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube