Should there have been a unique opening for each arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Should there have been a unique opening for each arc?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:06 am

So last year when the Universe Survival Arc came out and we switched from Chozetsu Dynamic to Limit-Break X Survivor, I made a thread called "Why didn't we get a new opening sooner?" where I asked why didn't get a new opening much sooner than pretty much the last arc of the series, why didn't we get multiple other openings. But now that Super is over, I wanna get a modern take on this topic. So I'll ask you guys, like we see with multiple other Shonen anime, like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, My Hero Academia, and Black Clover, should there have been a unique opening song for each individual arc of Super, instead of just one opening for four arcs straight only to change at the last arc?
Caulifla best girl! :)

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Should there have been a unique opening for each arc?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:13 am

Yes, Absolutely. I don't know about you, but to me Chozetsu Dynamic was so out of place during the Future Trunks arc. It was an arc about a mad God committing genocide... Maybe they should have made a darker intro which focused on the stars of that arc, who were obviously Zamasu, Goku Black, Future Trunks and Future Mai, and showed the horrors that were taking place in the Future world. All of this accompanied by a chilling and ominous song.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes, without a doubt. There were 11 endings so why on earth couldn't we get more openings ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Did Dragon Ball Z get a unique opening for every arc?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Hell, yeah. Unique opening animation as well as music.

As for the ending credits changing much more frequently, it makes sense - they required a lot less animation than the opening sequence. So they were easier and quicker to pull off.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:45 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Did Dragon Ball Z get a unique opening for every arc?
No just the two; Cha la head cha la(Saiyan arc to Cell arc) and We gotta power(Buu arc) with head cha la being updated in new arcs, like with the new characters and Goku going Super Saiyan.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:55 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Did Dragon Ball Z get a unique opening for every arc?
No just the two; Cha la head cha la(Saiyan arc to Cell arc) and We gotta power(Buu arc) with head cha la being updated in new arcs, like with the new characters and Goku going Super Saiyan.
If thats the case then no wine should be expecting a new intro per arc. But sure, if i had the choice, i’d take a new intro per arc. But on the upside, if we did keep the format we already have, we’d always know when we’re at the last arc.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:51 pm

If you think about it, Z is even worse than Super in that regard because its arcs were a LOT bigger than Super's. They had much more time to make an opening.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Yes if only because Chozetsu Dynamic was probably the worst opening in the franchise’s history.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:47 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:Yes if only because Chozetsu Dynamic was probably the worst opening in the franchise’s history.
Agreed Chozetsu Dynamic is really boring, I don't mind it for BoG, RoF and U6 tournament but they should have change it in the Future Trunks arc.

Night Owl

Post by Night Owl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:53 pm

More than anything, I hated the first title card music for Super (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usPHXVbUH1s). It felt very incongruous for some of the darker moments of the series. The one they introduced for the ToP arc was a bit more palatable as a shonen anime track.
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:22 pm

sintzu wrote:Yes, without a doubt. There were 11 endings so why on earth couldn't we get more openings ?
I think that new openings should happen if a big arc is coming out. Naruto kept the same opening until the next big arc happened.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:24 pm

majinwarman wrote:
sintzu wrote:Yes, without a doubt. There were 11 endings so why on earth couldn't we get more openings ?
I think that new openings should happen if a big arc is coming out. Naruto kept the same opening until the next big arc happened.
We should've at least gotten 4. 1 for the retellings, 1 for the Champa arc, 1 for Trunks' arc and 1 for the TOP.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:35 pm

sintzu wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
We should've at least gotten 4. 1 for the retellings, 1 for the Champa arc, 1 for Trunks' arc and 1 for the TOP.
I can agree with that statement.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:55 pm

given how great it was Limit-Break X Survivor yeah ..maybe we should have a special one for the champa arc and zamasu arc
Spider-Man wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:Yes if only because Chozetsu Dynamic was probably the worst opening in the franchise’s history.
Agreed Chozetsu Dynamic is really boring, I don't mind it for BoG, RoF and U6 tournament but they should have change it in the Future Trunks arc.
I think we are exaggerating, is not in my favorites list but it was "adequate" although I do agree that it should have been changed for other arcs