Can someone explain to me why Roshi vs Jiren is bad?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Simere
Advanced Regular

Re: Can someone explain to me why Roshi vs Jiren is bad?

Post by Simere » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:30 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: People are mad that a weak character dodged a few attacks before being eliminated by being lightly karate chopped. This is power level mania.
You forgot to mention that said weak character used a pseudo version of a technique that circumvents conscious reaction times, so the gap in speed shouldn't even really be an issue here.

Roshi did nothing wrong.
I don't know why you keep saying this. It makes no sense. How does reducing reaction time, even to zero, help a body incapable of moving fast enough to dodge? The realities of your physical limitations remain even if you take reactions out of the equation. Even if you put foreknowledge in. How much time in advance do you think you'd need to dodge the speed of light?

What UI does is maximize the efficiency of the economy of motion. It's only allowing you to do what you're theoretically already capable of. Call it whatever kind of mania you like, Roshi should not be capable of this.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:41 am

Simere wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: People are mad that a weak character dodged a few attacks before being eliminated by being lightly karate chopped. This is power level mania.
You forgot to mention that said weak character used a pseudo version of a technique that circumvents conscious reaction times, so the gap in speed shouldn't even really be an issue here.

Roshi did nothing wrong.
I don't know why you keep saying this. It makes no sense. How does reducing reaction time, even to zero, help a body incapable of moving fast enough to dodge? The realities of your physical limitations remain even if you take reactions out of the equation. Even if you put foreknowledge in. How much time in advance do you think you'd need to dodge the speed of light?

What UI does is maximize the efficiency of the economy of motion. It's only allowing you to do what you're theoretically already capable of. Call it whatever kind of mania you like, Roshi should not be capable of this.
You can think whatever you want, but the power scale stays 100% intact, and this is really par for the course for what super has been doing.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:01 am

Bully for the power scale. Par for the course means it's to be expected which, I assure you, I do.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 am

Simere wrote:Bully for the power scale. Par for the course means it's to be expected which, I assure you, I do.
Roshi is much much weaker than Jiren. Roshi is shown to be much much weaker than Jiren. This is consistent.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:08 am

Simere wrote:How does reducing reaction time, even to zero, help a body incapable of moving fast enough to dodge?
How did it make an exhausted base Goku capable of moving fast enough to dodge Super Saiyan 2 Kefla?

How did it make him capable of moving fast enough to dodge Jiren at full power?

If the user's physical limitations remained, they wouldn't have specifically called it a limit-breaking power. Whis wouldn't have said it can avoid any threat. This isn't an ability that can account for gaps that large by "maximizing efficiency" unless it was an augmentative boost in addition to a skill-based one.

Which, as it turns out, feasibly applies to Roshi's knock-off version, and he was still almost effortlessly defeated.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:22 am

Marlowe89 wrote:How did it make an exhausted base Goku capable of moving fast enough to dodge Super Saiyan 2 Kefla?

How did it make him capable of moving fast enough to dodge Jiren at full power?
The answer has to be that base Goku has it in him. Remember when he nullified Beerus's orb at the end of the BoG fight in base?
If the user's physical limitations remained, they wouldn't have specifically called it a limit-breaking power. Whis wouldn't have said it can avoid any threat. This isn't an ability that can account for gaps that large by "maximizing efficiency" unless it was an augmentative boost in addition to a skill-based one.
It's limit-breaking to overcome the limitations between you and your self. Since we're talking about the anime now, UI clearly doesn't allow you to avoid any threat as Jiren was getting in hits. And Whis says he'd be no made for the Grand Priest, but he has UI, so why would he say that if it's true UI can beat anyone?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 am

Simere wrote: The answer has to be that base Goku has it in him.
That's not the answer. That makes even less sense.

The gap between base Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Goku is downright enormous. Super Saiyan Kefla is more than twenty times stronger than Super Saiyan Blue; Super Saiyan 2 Kefla is twice that strong. He isn't gonna be dodging her if he couldn't even physically dodge base Kefla as a Super Saiyan God.

Ultra Instinct is clearly augmentative.
Simere wrote: And Whis says he'd be no made for the Grand Priest, but he has UI, so why would he say that if it's true UI can beat anyone?
Why would the Grand Priest not have Ultra Instinct? I'd imagine two UI users facing off would put typical power-scaling back into play.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:49 am

The gap between base and SSG was just as big as when he nullified the orb. "Base Goku" in UI isn't the "base Goku" that we (kind of) know, it would be base Goku utilizing power as we've never seen him do it before. That could theoretically make him more effective than SSB. Does that strain your credulity?

This has to be the case in the anime as UI Goku can be touched. All it will take is one punch in the manga to prove it there as well.

You might be right about UI vs UI. I would say you probably are. But until we know for certain I'm using it as an example.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:08 am

Simere wrote: This has to be the case in the anime as UI Goku can be touched. All it will take is one punch in the manga to prove it there as well.
I'm not sure what that would prove or disprove. At most, I'd say it just puts Whis' statement about overcoming any foe into question. It doesn't do much to alter his whole spiel about the nervous system and reaction speeds, though, which was my original point.

If Roshi's technique operates on similar concepts (as it was stated to do) and if, like Ultra Instinct, it can augmentatively match the user's movement speed with their unconscious reactions (as I believe it can) then that opens up a scenario where Roshi can dodge Jiren's attacks. We have to be able to consider all avenues before hastily making the "nonsense" charge here.

And again, this is something that's kinda just super fucking overblown by the fanbase right now. Roshi maybe lasted for a few seconds and was out cold in no time flat.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:32 am

Marlowe89 wrote:I'm not sure what that would prove or disprove. At most, I'd say it just puts Whis' statement about overcoming any foe into question. It doesn't do much to alter his whole spiel about the nervous system and reaction speeds, though, which was my original point.
Well, the nervous system spiel on its own doesn't lead to anyone being able to dodge(and overcome any foe), because not everyone is capable of dodging even if they could react. You have to imagine UI endows powers beyond simply eliminating the need to react. I thought that's what you were talking about with "augmentative". But it seems like you're actually talking about...I don't know. Neo? Knowing they should dodge grants them the ability to be able to?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:37 am

It’s the same man who took 3 years to get some water from Korin, after all. And he was trying dirty tricks to take it, so he wasn’t exactly a fighting genius as Toyotaro portrays him to be.
He also never received training from Popo and Kami and so he never learned how to fight with his eyes closed. He also admitted Goku had already surpassed him during Baba’s tournament and in the 22nd Budokai he retired for good after witnessing how the next generation was full of fighters much better and capable than he was. That was his character arc.

Roshi being the first teacher is not an excuse to completely change his character. It shouldn't be Roshi to remind Goku those things, and Goku as the experienced and genius fighter he is shouldn’t be reminded of the basics.
It’s like if Floyd Mayweather’s coach had to remind him how to properly throw a jab and a straight punch, how to guard and to not cross his legs when moving. Basically the most basic boxing things everyone knows. See how much sense it makes?

But suddenly, it turns out that Roshi was an awesome master all the time, but he just refused or forgot to teach his pupils the last and most important training on how to move! It is complete bullshit for Roshi to suddenly have a bootleg version of something as important as Ultra Instinct, when he never showed to have something remotely similar before. What the fuck does it even mean? It’s not UI but follows its “principle” makes no sense whatsoever and is just Toyotaro’s way to justify Roshi having UI but not really having it.
Toyotaro has also tried to sell this technique over power dynamic way too much in a single chapter, out of nowhere. If Roshi could beat Kahseral who is, from his own words, much stronger, then it means Roshi would have been able to defeat Raditz. I don’t know about Nappa, Vegeta or everyone who came later. But Kahseral was basically Raditz in this chapter: a fighter with a higher power level who relies on his scouter to gauge his opponent’s strength, who he deemed completely inferior to his. Too bad Roshi, the real Roshi from the real manga, was scared as fuck when he saw Raditz, and had no balls to go and confront him. Because we know, from basic logic established in the manga, that if Goku and Piccolo couldn’t do shit to Raditz, then neither could Roshi.

The latest Super manga chapter makes no sense to anyone who has read or watched DB by actually paying attention to it. Roshi’s training was all about pure strength, and in fact for Roshi martial arts was all about strength. Of course he had other teachings but that was the bulk of it. And it was exactly him who taught Goku and the others that martial arts are all about old plain physical strength, definitely not Vegeta or Freeza.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I don’t even care about the dynamics of how Ultra Instinct should or shouldn’t work, and I feel like the posters above me have already done a good job at explaining why Roshi vs Jiren doesn’t make sense in the first place.
What I am more concerned about is that the old man portrayed in this chapter is not the same Roshi from the original manga, and that Goku-looking guy is not Son Goku.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:43 am

It's bad because he's someone who could barely hold his own against Tien during the 22nd Tenkaichi and couldn't lay a hand against King Piccolo. The idea of him having good instinct isn't bad, it just shouldn't have been shown against someone like Jiren who could give the destroyers a run for their $$$.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:44 am

It's not bad I think it is a nice contrast:
Roshi is probably the weakest of the bunch but he is extremly skilled, Jiren is the strongest but he is less skilled. All Roshi did was evade Jiren and he never messed the so called power scaling that I don't care about but its there.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:50 am

Bergamo wrote:
Simere wrote:Bully for the power scale. Par for the course means it's to be expected which, I assure you, I do.
Roshi is much much weaker than Jiren. Roshi is shown to be much much weaker than Jiren. This is consistent.
"A fly is much weaker than a human. A fly can smash a human into a wall and break his finger as long as it gets squished afterwards. It'd be consistent because all that matters are absolutes."

Ignoring the powerlevel issues, Jiren vs Roshi is bad because it's awful thematically and in terms of the characterization of everyone involved with the fight.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:13 am

Roshi vs Jiren is bad because it over-exaggerates the concept of "Skill > Power" to such a ludicrous degree that it created an existential effect of undermining the performance in battle of literally every other fighter that has ever come across Jiren.

And that's not even taking into consideration the unfortunate thematic implications that battle had on Goku's basic knowledge of martial arts...

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:36 am

The complaints surrounding Roshi v Jiren are exemplary of the fandom at its absolute worst. Roshi doesn’t make a dent in Jiren. He doesn’t make him sweat. He doesn’t land a single hit. All he does is dodge and not even for particularly long. It’s quite sad when fans can’t accept that a master martial artists can dodge a far stronger opponent for a few panels because of “power scaling.”

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:44 am

OhHiRenan wrote:The complaints surrounding Roshi v Jiren are exemplary of the fandom at its absolute worst.
Yeah? What about this?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:45 am

Simere wrote:The gap between base and SSG was just as big as when he nullified the orb. "Base Goku" in UI isn't the "base Goku" that we (kind of) know, it would be base Goku utilizing power as we've never seen him do it before. That could theoretically make him more effective than SSB. Does that strain your credulity?

This has to be the case in the anime as UI Goku can be touched. All it will take is one punch in the manga to prove it there as well.

You might be right about UI vs UI. I would say you probably are. But until we know for certain I'm using it as an example.
There were a couple of times Goku was shown to have power far beyond what he utilizes normally. There's Beerus' orb which you mentioned, which he had to become a SSG to stop in the movie. There's also his beam struggle against Bishonen Fused Zamasu. When Goku unleashed his full power, he was able to overwhelm Zamasu's attack without even using Kaioken, albeit at great physical cost.

I think the anime made it fairly clear that the version of Ultra Instinct Goku uses works like a transformation in that his speed and power are greatly increased in addition to his reaction times. Goku barely had the power to make Jiren move the first time they fought while Ultra Instinct was able to casually speed blitz him and slap him a couple hundred feet away.

It's not clear if that's how it works for Whis but Whis is already stupidly strong.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:05 am

Because no matter how experienced you are or how fast you can read punches, Roshi shouldn’t be anywhere near fast enough to dodge Jiren’s punches even if he knew they were coming. It takes 2 things to dodge. Knowing what to dodge and being fast enough to dodge it. Roshi shouldn’t have had the latter.

Thats why Jiren could land punches on UI Goku. If you can attack and defend faster than UI Goku, UI Goku wont be able to instinctively dodge fast enough or attack and connect fast enough despite being able to react instinctively. Jiren was sometimes fast enough to land hits on UI Goku and thats why.

Bottom line, Toyotaro tried to do something cool but the execution was horrible. It wouldn’t be the first time. Roshi dodging and defending against Jiren is illogical and i just don’t get how people could defend it.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:58 am

Doctor. wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
"A fly is much weaker than a human. A fly can dodge a human's flyswatter as long as it gets squished afterwards. It'd be consistent"
Fixed your analogy.