Should the series introduce enemies stronger than Beerus?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Should the series introduce enemies stronger than Beerus?

Post by shadd21 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 am

I keep hearing people say that the presence of the Gods takes any sort of tension away from the series, citing the Resurrection F arc as an example and the fact that Super's original arcs were ether centered around tournaments (where the gods couldn't enter) or in the Trunk's timeline(where the gods are deceased) as the writers struggling to keep tension without getting the gods involved. With the concept of mortal levels implying that it's is the hakaishin's job to deal with threats to their universe, Beerus involvement seems like something that can't be avoided anymore. Do you think introducing an antagonist stronger than Beerus defeat would be a good way to remedy this?

sintzu
Banned

Re: Should the series introduce enemies stronger than Beerus?

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:41 am

I think they already did with Jiren while Toppo being a close second. Base Broly in the trailer is able to fight Blue Goku so once he goes full on legendary I assume he'll be able to wipe the floor with Beerus if that's how strong he is in his strengthened base form. I highly doubt Beerus can take down Goku while he's in his MUI state, a state which Vegeta will get sooner or later so we're already moving away from Beerus. That's of course not to say any of the above would have an easy time fighting him but neither would he.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:01 pm

I rather don't have Beerus surpassed by Goku or villains, but for that to work he should have a more neutral stance towards the main characters that nowadays. He can go back to sleep (worked with Buu!), or some divine laws previously ignored should be enforced on him. This has the drawback of less "Beerus&Whiz" antics, but at this point, you either use them sparingly or ruin them.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Do you think introducing an antagonist stronger than Beerus defeat would be a good way to remedy this?
What about Infinite Zamasu? The mere fact that he was immortal means that Beerus couldn't defeat him, despite having the Hakai technique (in the manga, Beerus outright states that the Hakai doesn't work on immortal beings, and the same concept is heavily implied by Whis in the anime); But then Infinite Zamasu had also merged with the very fabric of the cosmos and was transcending time and space. No matter how powerful Beerus is, I doubt that he could do anything against Infinite Zamasu.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:44 pm

It would contradict the story. Oracle fish has stated only Goku and Vegeta would be formidable foes for Beerus.

Obviously end game stuff.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm

If the show decided to go the "angelic antagonist" route then you would have a perfectly reasonable justification for introducing a more powerful enemy. I don't know much about Broly, didn't even watch the original movies starring him, but I would prefer him to remain a more contained menace if that's possible. Likely won't happen but I can hope.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:15 pm

They have no choice now thanks to jiren being in the realm of hakaishins. Villians will get stronger than that. Wouldnt surprise me if broly is the first to outright completely be a realm of its own higher than god of destruction level.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:31 pm

I think people are afraid for Beerus to be surpassed but I think it is okay. Beerus destroy’s planets and more than likely can use his destruction technique on enemys far stronger than him. There are plenty of God’s that have been surpassed in other universes as well. Being a God of Destruction or Kai doesn’t mean you have to be stronger than anyone in that universe. Just strong and wise enough to do your job. Beerus never bothered to kill Freeza or Boo who destroyed hundreds of planets and Belmont never bothered to destroy Jiren before they got as strong as they did. They don’t seem to be bothered with any kind of threats in that nature, it might be scary for one of them to surpass Beerus but in the end I don’t think he cares. The only time he really destroys anything is when a person annoys him or does something they shouldn't be doing. The only reason he acted on Zamasu is because he figured out his weakness which was killing the Kai’s. If it weren’t for that I don’t think he’d interfered with Zamasu or any other enemy that could be a threat to his universe. Beerus has Whis, if someone like Broly came to his planet rampaging he could easily go somewhere safe like Zeno’s palace and request that Zeno has it took care of or the universe will be destroyed. I think he’s concernd more about his job than a threat and to be honest he really isn’t even concerned with that. More so these Gods really want a challenge it seems that in that event they let people like Jiren, Goku and Vegeta live for entertainment down the road. I’m sure there is some back up plan feom the Grand Priest in case a being becomes too strong and oversteps his boundaries.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:41 pm

It is inevitably going to happen if Super goes the extra mile in its narrative. I'd rather have Beerus serve as the endgame for Goku and Vegeta, but with the introduction of Jiren, as well as Toppo's status as the next Hakishin, Toriyama has already displayed he has no issue with the idea of mortals surpassing the Gods (again).

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:56 pm

Good luck making one...

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:36 am

Majin Jator wrote:I rather don't have Beerus surpassed by Goku or villains, but for that to work he should have a more neutral stance towards the main characters that nowadays. He can go back to sleep (worked with Buu!), or some divine laws previously ignored should be enforced on him. This has the drawback of less "Beerus&Whiz" antics, but at this point, you either use them sparingly or ruin them.
Yes, I don't want the feline to be reduced like the other previous characters who never catch up to Goku. Maybe Beerus or Whis will decide Goku was too troublesome to interact with and they decide to distance themselves even if it means less food but will occasionally show up just to stay relevant. If he manages to be surpassed by Goku, they could make him improve drastically by training again or something.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:Good luck making one...
For starters... Jiren? While not a villain, he is the antagonist and main enemy in the Universe Survival arc, and he's (almost certainly) stronger than Beerus.
Ignoring him and ignoring Broly's eventual placement (wherever that'll be), you can always use the evil angel angle, or bring some weird monstrously powerful being out from the depths of one of the six destroyed universes. And if you ignore most of the memes and give him a name (Touvus), El Hermano (as the "evil-doer" in Jiren's backstory) is an actual possibility as well.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:58 pm

It's been working on that with Zamasu and Jiren, to mixed results.

But it could depend on where to take things after the gods of destruction.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Whis

Post by Whis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:35 am

I thought Jiren was stronger.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:37 pm

I feel Beerus has been set up so that they can constantly move the goal post further and further back. We have yet to even glimpse his full power. We can infer from Jiren that mortals do exists even GoDs cannot defeat.

If Broly is going to be stronger than Jiren (as stated being "the strongest foe they've faced thus far"), it's completely plausible. Though if he were to survive the movie (which I doubt. Though I do see him returning in the future), the implications of Broly's strength compared to Beerus' would be interesting