I feel that Battles between universes was going too high

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

I feel that Battles between universes was going too high

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Goku and Saiyans the strongest fighters in the galaxy, I can accept that. But not the strongest fighters in the universe.

I believe that the universe, even the DB universe, is large enough that it could contain fighters who can match the Saiyans.

It's too late to change it now, but it's my feeling that making Goku and Vegeta the universe's strongest was setting a bar way too high. It may have helped IMO to keep the Gods of Destruction limited to a galaxy, rather than a universe.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: I feel that Battles between universes was going too high

Post by Bergamo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:24 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Goku and Saiyans the strongest fighters in the galaxy, I can accept that. But not the strongest fighters in the universe.

I believe that the universe, even the DB universe, is large enough that it could contain fighters who can match the Saiyans.

It's too late to change it now, but it's my feeling that making Goku and Vegeta the universe's strongest was setting a bar way too high. It may have helped IMO to keep the Gods of Destruction limited to a galaxy, rather than a universe.
Goku isn't the strongest fighter in the universe he's the strongest known fighter in the universe. Broly is probably going to be stronger than Goku and he's from universe 7. Toriyama can also write another main villain from universe 7 any time he wants.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:01 pm

I always felt like they should have introduced the other Universes' characters more slowly than a multi-universe tournament does. There was the potential for having Frieza arc esque stories where the gang has to travel to, or ends up trapped in the other Universe and there they have to do a lot of cat and mouse type stuff before getting strong enough to match that the level of that Universes strong guys. It's too late for that now.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:56 pm

They kinda ruined things when they made the statement that there were only 28 planets with life on them in the universe. People popping out of the woodworks from here on out in universe 7 is just going to look lame.

They needed to take the approach that Yu Yu Hakusho go. Yes they had the 3 Kings that ruled the demon world, but they also had demons laying in dormant who didn’t really care for the politics and were stronger than the Kings. Toriyama shot his load a little too early stating that Frieza was the strongest in the universe.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:23 pm

What's the value of a universe? Why stay within its confines? DB has the liberty of going anywhere it wants.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:30 am

This is why I wanted Goku to be more limited which is why I didn't approved his hakai ability in the manga nor I wanted him to be stronger than Beerus, even if it means I won't be able to see him fight Quitela or some hakaishin. I kinda wish Toriyama had the forethought to avoid making an enormous escalation and instead focused on who is the better fighter than who is the strongest fighter. Skill is much harder to make a scale of so the story potential would had been bigger than in real life.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:12 am

To be fair, they've been the strongest in their universe (and not just in the present day, but presumably ever) since the Boo arc--that fact is a major part of that story line.

Whether it's a bit much to also rush them into being the strongest beings in the multiverse, or close to it, might be another conversation.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:22 am

TheOne wrote:They kinda ruined things when they made the statement that there were only 28 planets with life on them in the universe. People popping out of the woodworks from here on out in universe 7 is just going to look lame.

They needed to take the approach that Yu Yu Hakusho go. Yes they had the 3 Kings that ruled the demon world, but they also had demons laying in dormant who didn’t really care for the politics and were stronger than the Kings. Toriyama shot his load a little too early stating that Frieza was the strongest in the universe.
Only 28 planets with sentient life? I'm pretty sure that was a joke from Toriyama. Right? :problem:

And Frieza can boast he's the strongest in the universe, it doesn't mean he's conquered the whole universe.

Waluigiman wrote:I kinda wish Toriyama had the forethought to avoid making an enormous escalation and instead focused on who is the better fighter than who is the strongest fighter. Skill is much harder to make a scale of so the story potential would had been bigger than in real life.
Maybe the escalation should have been handled better, I agree.

But I feel that the focus on strength helped to keep things simple and accessible for DB. And to have different varieties of superhumans - aliens, androids, gods - does make for an interesting and spicy mix that further contributes to DB's appeal.
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:44 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:
TheOne wrote:They kinda ruined things when they made the statement that there were only 28 planets with life on them in the universe. People popping out of the woodworks from here on out in universe 7 is just going to look lame.

Only 28 planets with sentient life? I'm pretty sure that was a joke from Toriyama. Right? :problem:

And Frieza can boast he's the strongest in the universe, it doesn't mean he's conquered the whole universe.

Waluigiman wrote:I kinda wish Toriyama had the forethought to avoid making an enormous escalation and instead focused on who is the better fighter than who is the strongest fighter. Skill is much harder to make a scale of so the story potential would had been bigger than in real life.

But I feel that the focus on strength helped to keep things simple and accessible for DB. And to have different varieties of superhumans - aliens, androids, gods - does make for an interesting and spicy mix that further contributes to DB's appeal.
What in the world would make you think that the statement of 28 planets with life in universe 7 is a joke? I’m being serious. Is there some kind of interview I’m missing?

If not, how in the world could you just “assume” he meant it as a joke when it was in both anime and manga?
How i predict the tournament will end:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:04 am

TheOne wrote:What in the world would make you think that the statement of 28 planets with life in universe 7 is a joke? I’m being serious.

If not, how in the world could you just “assume” he meant it as a joke when it was in both anime and manga?
I'm sorry, but when I heard a statement that there are only 28 planets with life in the DB main universe - despite the variety of sentient beings shown proving otherwise - I took it to be a joke. It was impossible for me not to.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:50 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Goku and Saiyans the strongest fighters in the galaxy, I can accept that. But not the strongest fighters in the universe.

Only several years back guys like Burter were renowned as the fastest in the entire universe, so yeah... no.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Cipher wrote:To be fair, they've been the strongest in their universe (and not just in the present day, but presumably ever) since the Boo arc--that fact is a major part of that story line.

Whether it's a bit much to also rush them into being the strongest beings in the multiverse, or close to it, might be another conversation.
They've been the strongest in the universe since the Freeza arc. Androids and Boo were both creations not actual species

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:19 pm

TheOne wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:

What in the world would make you think that the statement of 28 planets with life in universe 7 is a joke? I’m being serious. Is there some kind of interview I’m missing?

This is retarded frieza soldiers in the frieza (second frieza saga) were in the number of hundreds , beerus destroys 2 planets with life in the beginning of super, frieza soldiers in the first frieza saga , Lord slugs guys ect ect

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:59 pm

It seems the more they make the universe seem smaller the more stronger the foes pop up out of no where. 28 planets and it seems like Freeza has a bigger army in the movie and a lot of different species than ever before. I’m looking for someone like Broly to destroy every planet with life in Universe 7 until Goku stops him on Earth, then re-wish all the planets that have been “destroyed” back to life which would bring every planet in the history of universe 7 back along with strong fighters. That would solve the problem and create more stories. You could rewrite Slug into a scenario like that.

Whis

Post by Whis » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:14 am

They're the strongest that we know of, outsiders like Broly could very well change this.

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:08 am

That's the problem with world-building when you don't have an endgame in sight and you write every arc as the final one. Toriyama wrote Frieza as THE strongest in all of the universe because he was meant to be Goku's ultimate enemy (he killed Goku's dad and destroyed his planet), then his editors "forced" him to continue writing the manga and that's how we ended up with the Cell and Buu Saga.

The power creep/scaling after the Namek Saga was absolutely ridiculous and in Super it is made even worse. "Hey Vegeta, 'member when you had to sell your soul to Babidi to achieve SSJ2? Turns out all you needed to do was arch your back!!!".

Other shonen authors have been very wise to avoid this power creep/scaling problem with the best example being Oda's One Piece in which the main character is probably on the low-end of the Top 20's strongest fighters of his world (not galaxy/universe, just his home planet) even after 900 chapters.