Does current Toei HATE Vegito???

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Does current Toei HATE Vegito???

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:23 pm

I mean, the amount of disrespect he gets by Toei lately has been absolutely of the charge. Both in Super and in Heroes he only appears for like a few minutes tops, only to diffuse and struggle against some random opponents even while in Blue form. Hell there was even a DB Heroes ad where they diffused Vegito in favor of Gogeta. And then there’s the rumor that Gogeta is likely to appear in this upcoming movie, which means no love for Vegito again. He used to be so overpowered, like back in the days Vegito only needed Base and SSJ1 yet still completely stomped a Being that had absorbed Ultimate Gohan without ever going SSJ2 or 3. But now he uses BLUE and still struggles! Heck in the heroes anime he even used KAIOKEN on top of SSJ Blue and still couldn’t beat a BASE Saiyan! So what’s really going on guys? Do you think Toei has a thing against Vegito or not?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does current Toei HATE Vegito???

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:34 am

I think the opposite honestly. Vegito was the strongest character in DBZ, and the fact he played around with Buuhan to get absorbed left fans wondering about his real power.

Now as far as Super is concerned, the original Toriyama draft didn't even call for Vegito. Merged Zamasu was a threat SSB Goku and Vegeta could handle. Toei brought him back. As for Heroes, Cumber is just absurd on terms of power. The fact we have a character that can cause SSB Kaioken Vegito to struggle in base and has access to AT LEAST Super Saiyan and Golden Great Ape is just ridiculous in terms of power scaling.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:08 am

Yeah, I actually hate how he’s been treated by Toei. When I think of Vegetto I will just use the DBS manga version, it fits much better with him being that overwhelming force he was originally portrayed as. I know he defused too fast in the mamanga, but at least he was insane.

Personally I wish Toyotaro didn’t ever ask Toriyama to include Vegetto now.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:23 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:I think the opposite honestly. Vegito was the strongest character in DBZ, and the fact he played around with Buuhan to get absorbed left fans wondering about his real power.

Now as far as Super is concerned, the original Toriyama draft didn't even call for Vegito. Merged Zamasu was a threat SSB Goku and Vegeta could handle. Toei brought him back. As for Heroes, Cumber is just absurd on terms of power. The fact we have a character that can cause SSB Kaioken Vegito to struggle in base and has access to AT LEAST Super Saiyan and Golden Great Ape is just ridiculous in terms of power scaling.
I watched that video. I just shook my head that a SSBKK Vegito didn’t stand a chance against a base form saiyan. I’m curious how they end this fight..
How i predict the tournament will end:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:24 am

Well I'm glad that the anime didn't follow the manga, or Toryama's original draft, during the Future Trunks arc. Sorry, but Fused Zamasu was supposed to be the ultimate villain of the Future Trunks arc, the long-anticipated godly fusion between two twisted Gods, possessing Black's supreme strength and Zamasu's divine immortality. It would be very anticlimactic if he were weaker than two Super Saiyan Blue combined, or if Vegito could just stomp him in two minutes.

That is why I despise the concept of "Vegito". And even "Gogeta". They are basically two unstoppable trump cards. The drawback of Vegito was that Goku and Vegeta would no longer be able to return to normal after fusing. But now, with the Potara retcon, they might as well spam Vegito whenever they have to face a dangerous enemy. In fact, I don't know why they didn't even fuse into Vegito during the Tournament of Power. Mastered Ultra Instinct Vegito? He would have stomped Jiren so hard.

Still, Vegito put up a very good fight against Fused Zamasu, and if the latter hadn't had immortality, I am sure that the Final Kamehameha would have obliterated him (like in Figherz). Vegito made a miscalculation, he was so arrogant of his own power that he thought that Fused Zamasu would die like anyone else, and so he wasted his power so quickly that he no longer had any energy to sustain the fusion. That Final Kamehameha might have looked amazing to some, but it was a grave mistake. Vegito should have known that an immortal enemy would just shrug it off. He was very short-sighted. And in the end, a fusion that should have lasted 1 hour, lasted only 9 minutes or so because of that.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:49 am

Too much Vegetto ruins the Vegetto lol

He did get a freaking fantastic moment in FTrunks arc though, albeit too short lol

DB Heroes is garbage lol*

*Inb4 that last line gets flamed, this is solely my own opinion and has no importance nor authority lol

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I wish they hated Vegetto. His forced appearance in Super was so uninspired. Though I believe Toyotaro's actually to blame for that one.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:42 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:Too much Vegetto ruins the Vegetto lol

He did get a freaking fantastic moment in FTrunks arc though, albeit too short lol

*Inb4 that last line gets flamed, this is solely my own opinion and has no importance nor authority lol
Having recently watched #66 again via English Dub I found his screen time just right. An extended cameo is what fusion characters need otherwise they overstay their welcome and we get a string of boring episodes like how Z anime handled Vegetto.

Also why do you put "lol" at the end of every sentence?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:Too much Vegetto ruins the Vegetto lol

Having recently watched #66 again via English Dub I found his screen time just right. An extended cameo is what fusion characters need otherwise they overstay their welcome and we get a string of boring episodes like how Z anime handled Vegetto.

Also why do you put "lol" at the end of every sentence?
But it was TOO short.. It barely even lasted 1/3 of an episode. That’s way too short. I would’ve been fine with him lasting 2 episodes, or even 1 full episode for that matter. But this was too short.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:52 am

In the Super manga, seemingly more closely supervised by Toriyama, Vegetto is already able to damage Zamasu in his base form, implying he didn't need anything more than basic Super Saiyan to smash him. Then when he goes SSB he humilates him worse than Gohan-Buu. So SSB Vegetto struggling with Fused Zamasu and Cumber does seem like a specific choice on Toei's part.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 am

I couldn't give two shits about what Heroes is doing, but if you're asking "does X artist hate Y character?" because they lost a fight, odds are the answer is no because that's not how most writers think.

Vegetto was a borderline joke in his original fight against Buuhan, which worked well because it was less of a climax and more a de-escalation of tension. After Buu spent so much time being an invincible villain and taking down every weapon that had been built up to defeat him, it was cathartic to see someone who could dominate him no-questions asked. That was the role he served, and he served it with aplomb, it's why so many people love him even though he's basically a walking plot device. And with the decision to bring him back for the Future Trunks arc, there were only two ways they could've gone: A: What if this time he actually has to get serious? Or B: Let's just have him do the same thing he did last time because it worked well then.

Luckily there are two versions so they had one for each. Anime went for route A, manga went for route B. That doesn't mean the Toei guys hate Vegetto or don't get him, just they thought they'd do something slightly different with him by having him struggle a bit.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 pm

If Toei hated Vegito, they would have shown him getting fodderized and unrealistically embarrassed in battle. Neither has happened to him in the DBS and DBH animes.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 am

ricky84 wrote:If Toei hated Vegito, they would have shown him getting fodderized and unrealistically embarrassed in battle. Neither has happened to him in the DBS and DBH animes.
Frankly, him simply not winning effortlessly like he used to already is unflattering portrayal.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:27 am

Saturnine wrote:
ricky84 wrote:If Toei hated Vegito, they would have shown him getting fodderized and unrealistically embarrassed in battle. Neither has happened to him in the DBS and DBH animes.
Frankly, him simply not winning effortlessly like he used to already is unflattering portrayal.
So you want Vegito to be an instant "I WIN" button for the protagonists. I am so glad that Toei didn't go with that plan.

Pokesamus217

Post by Pokesamus217 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:44 am

Saturnine wrote:
You already have around 4 other fusion fights that are complete stomps, an actual fight, instead of a waste of time, isn’t a bad thing.