Has the role of female characters improved?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Re: Has the role of female characters improved?

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:03 pm

Shaddy wrote:Gohan and Videl are probably both barely 18 or 19 in the first arcs of Super,
So you mean YEARS, as Gohan and Videl were 16 during Majin Buu

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:27 pm

Seventeen, actually. So no, again, I still don't mean years. Years pass over the COURSE of Super, not before it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:48 pm

Shaddy wrote:Seventeen, actually. So no, again, I still don't mean years. Years pass over the COURSE of Super, not before it.
well, both. There's 4 years before BoG and then the time from BoG to ToP constitutes a 3 year gap.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:18 am

PFM18 wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Seventeen, actually. So no, again, I still don't mean years. Years pass over the COURSE of Super, not before it.
well, both. There's 4 years before BoG and then the time from BoG to ToP constitutes a 3 year gap.
According to the narrator, Episode 1 of Super begins some vague time after Kid Buu's defeat. He says that 6 months after Goku defeated Kid Buu, they summoned Shenron to erase everyone's memories of him. Then "a few months rolled by" (according to the subs) and we pick up with Goku and Goten on the farm. I swore I remembered a second time skip somewhere in the first couple episodes where they jumped ahead again, but there isn't one. :crazy: Do we have a Super timeline thread around somewhere? I thought we did but I can't find it.

Edit: I've been digging around a bit and from what I've read, the wording used for the skip is「月日が流れた」("Tsukihi ga nagareta") which indicates a vague passing of time despite the subs saying months. Over in the fact checker thread, Herms translates it as "some time has passed since then." That's almost exactly what the manga says too. Either way that skews, you run into a problem of some kind. Either Trunks and Goten look younger than they should be and you run over the 5 years thing in EoZ or Pan and Bra are older than they should be. I would certainly hope Gohan and Videl waited until they were a little older to have a kid, at any rate.

To the subject of the thread, I think they have. Bulma came back into a prominent position, we got Vados, Future Mai and quite a number of female fighters in the Tournament of Power plus 18 taking the field again. It still has problems like Roshi's dirty old man humor with Yurin and Puar which felt over the line even for him.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:14 am

I always thought it was totally plausible that Gohan and Videl weren't that much older at all. Getting married young and working your ass off to get into an esteemed university/job is pretty common in Japanese culture, and considering Gohan came from no familial connections it doesn't surprise me that he (well, and Chichi)'d try to get him in as soon as humanly possible.

Definitely would be strange that they'd have a child before either of them were even 20 years old, but it's obviously not impossible.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 pm

BTW, do we know for what age was Bulma's birthday?

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:54 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote:BTW, do we know for what age was Bulma's birthday?
Bulma is chronologically 1 year younger than Vegeta. Meaning that she was 45 in Battle of Gods.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Compared to the 3 previous series, overall I'd say yes. Though I never had much of a problem with the franchises female characters.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:59 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote:BTW, do we know for what age was Bulma's birthday?
Depends, her case is the same as Goku, as there are two dates but you can link them.

Going by the manga: She was born in AGE 733 and is 47 years old now.
Going by Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman: She was born in AGE 734 and is 46 years old now.

But you can link those two information by thinking that Jaco the Galactic Patrolman takes place before Bulma's birthday (Tights says she is 5, but she's turning 6 that year). Thus "solving" this problem. It's up to you, just like Goku's case.

Her claim about her age in Movie 14 is not consistent with anything else and must be ignored.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:42 pm

I think so, now we have female super sayains and one of them having the raw power to challenge full power blue and god of destrctuion candiates. It'll be interesting to see if and how they do with bulla and pan