By design, what is your favorite Saiyan transformation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Re: By design, what is your favorite Saiyan transformation?

Post by #17 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:43 pm

SSJ2
SSJ (2nd grade is awesome as well)
Omen
Rose
MUI
SSJ3
SSG
SSBE (like the bluer hair more)
SSB
Ikari
SSJ4

And do not get me wrong. I still like SSJ4 a lot and in particular the story behind it... far better than most of the other forms.

Still I like the other more

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:48 am

#17 wrote:SSJ2
Omen
Rose
MUI
SSJ3
SSG
SSB
Ikari
SSJ4

And do not get me wrong. I still like SSJ4 a lot and in particular the story behind it... far better than most of the other forms.

You just contradicted yourself sir.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:23 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
#17 wrote:SSJ2
Omen
Rose
MUI
SSJ3
SSG
SSB
Ikari
SSJ4

You just contradicted yourself sir.
He didn't. He likes the story behind Ssj4 better but in terms of looks he prefers the other forms.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 4, Super Sayan God, Super Saiyan Rose and Ultra Instinct Omen stick out the most to me when it comes to transformations that find that perfect middle ground of, what I like to call, simple complexity.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Super Saiyan 4. The form just exudes power and completeness of Saiyan heritage. It's always been fierce and menacing.

Manga Ultra Instinct (based on Toyo's sketches). I love that sleek Goku design and that hair. It's superior to the anime's, which looks absolutely flat and boring.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:10 pm

1. Super Saiyan 3. It was just something about the overall appearance that oozes with badassery. The hair,, the lack of brows, the sharp aura and pronounced electric sparks...This form looks like it was here to handle business!

2. Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken. I know I'm the oddball here for this choice, but that double aura is really a site to behold. This form has possibly one of the most distinct auras of all of fiction, so much so that you cannot confuse it for any other form AND it is wholly unique to one character in main continuity.

3. Ssj4. Would be number one if it had a really unique aura to go along with the bizzare, yet appropriate appearance. This form is the ultimate culmination of what a Saiyan should be and is perfect in every way.

4. Ultra Instinct Omen. This form is like the perfect version of Goku's base. The aura flows like water, it would make Bruce Lee proud. Omen should have been saved for Goku's last form...but we all know how that turned out.lol

5. Super Saiyan (Namek arc). I loved the appearance of super saiyan in its original style. I remember playing Budoukai Tenkaichi 2 or 3, picking the battle damage namek attire just to get that original style of hair (something I wish would have been done more often in Dragonball related games).

6. Super Saiyan Rose´. A malevolent version of Super Saiyan Blue?! What's not to love about this form.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:48 am

Super Saiyan 5 :P

Honestly, if you're judging based solely on design, it depends on which character you're talking about. Gohan's best-looking transformation was SSJ2 in the Cell Games, but Goku's is probably the basic SSJ. Vegeta's design never really changes except for palette swaps, and Trunks's varies depending on the length of his hair.

I also kind of like the faux-SSJ design from Lord Slug. The loss of pupils, the rougher quality of the aura - it was an impressive look.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:36 am

1. Super Saiyan: The original I just have to give the number 1 spot. Especially when the golden color scheme is used properly. Other times it gets a weak yellow color which ruins the form honestly. It works when Goku is docile, but when more intense the color is too soft.

2. Super Saiyan 4: The most original form since the 1st one. This FEELS like a saiyan form. We started with monkeys and we end with monkeys. It feels far more appropriate than the god forms which I just don't feel suit saiyans at all. Only issue is the lack of nipples is really weird. Xeno Goku makes the form look even cooler.

3. Ultra Instinct Omen/Mastered Ultra Instinct: The only GOOD form the modern era of Dragon Ball ever made. A very good one indeed. I do prefer the Omen part, but I will put them together as they are the same form. I liked the mastered look too, but sometimes it appears too grey and looks ugly. I also call it doing Super Saiyan God done right as it has more of the simple but new vibe to it than Super Saiyan God did. Also has nice history and wicked movement....til the latter part of Super ruined it by having Goku stop moving like a weird possessed puppet and back to basic combat. The new Broly movie if they bring the form back, could bump it to number 2 if they fix some things Super did.

4. Super Saiyan 3: It's such a metal transformation. It really feels like an all or nothing form. It has a nice drawback for both Goku and Fusions giving it a risky feel. The extreme yell and hair growth kinda gives off this forced power up that is used to settle things quickly and cover/overcome an obstacle. This isn't a proper combat form for long drawn out fights. This like Kaio-Ken is sorta like an all or nothing assault form.

5. Super Saiyan 2/Legendary Super Saiyan: I put them in the same spot. SSJ2 coulda been higher if not for it's design at times limiting it's uniqueness. I like how it added the cool lightning effect, but take Gohan who looked amazing in the form as a kid, but then as an adult arguments broke out whether he was even in the form at times because it was difficult to distinguish. Legendary Super Saiyan is cool in the monster like transformation, but it kinda really only fits a villain like Broly. Kale was better off with her slimmer form after gaining control of herself.

6. Super Saiyan God: Automatically the "best?" Super Saiyan form of the modern era? It has an interesting way of achieving it and could have meant a lot more, before being pretty much shat on as time went by. At first it was like this incredible realm that felt impossible to reach without the ritual, and then became just another power up after everyone and their mother was basically getting on it's level or beyond from rudimentary methods. Not a great look, but I do like the SSJ3 eyes it has.

Super Saiyan Ikari: Bottom tier nonsense, but the form has a nice golden color and double aura....oddly enough I think it kinda fits more with what Toriyama once said about Goku only using base and SSJ, and not needing to use God or anything else....way before ResF and Super changed that. Kinda feels like combining Super Saiyan with God power while fitting into the old answer Toriyama gave. It's weird to feel this way about it.

8. Super Saiyan Blue/Rose: Recolor the Super Saiyan form. That's pretty much it. The true Deviantart Saiyan. Now I do like the eggshell transformation an aura...but outside that it feels so uninspired and lazy. It made me appreciate Toei or whoever changed Ultra Instinct's hair style as even the draft for UI looked almost identically 1 to 1 with God but grey/white. Don't even get me started on the Ki Control and how much of a headache that started.

9. Super Saiyan Grade Forms/Evolution Blue/Whatever Vegeta got in the Manga: Ugly and just bad. I don't feel anything special from them. More than anything else they just....exist.....they exist....that's all I got.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:43 pm

1. Mastered Super Saiyan
2. Mastered UI
3. UI Omen
4. Super Saiyan God
5. Super Saiyan Blue / Rosé
6. Super Saiyan 3
7. Super Saiyan Berserk
8. Super Saiyan 2
9. Super Saiyan 4
10. SSJ1 Grades / Blue Evo-Kaioken-forms

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:33 am

I prefer the transformations whose design is that of fiery hair instead of sharp blades. The original Super Saiyan Goku on Namek, ascended Super Saiyan Vegeta and Super Saiyan 3 are my favourites, while Trunks's bulky form and Super Saiyan 2 are not. I would like to see Ultra Instincts on a style resembling Toriyama's past drawings too.

SSGSSmomo

Post by SSGSSmomo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:10 pm

1.Ultra Instinct Omen- For it's unique abilities and the overall design.
2. Mastered Super Saiyan 1-a somewhat basic looking form but i enjoy the bleached hair.
3.Super Saiyan God- The Real godly form with the simple hair and the flame-like aura.
4.Super Saiyan 4- I love the red fur and the hair but I don't like it on Vegeta.
5.Super Saiyan Rose- I love the pink hair and Goku Black looks godly in it.
And This...is Vegito Blue!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:07 pm

1. SSBE
2. UI Omen
3. SSJ4
4. UI
5. SSJ
6. SSJ2(Gohan's)
7. SSB
8. SSJ Rose
9. SSG
10. SSJ Grade 2/3

11. Rapunzel

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 pm

1. SSJ4
2. SSJ (mostly early version from Namek/Cooler movie)
3. "SSJ White" (Baby's form)
4. Golden Oozaru
5. SSJ3 / SSJ God
6. LSSJ
7. SSJ2
8. Oozaru
9. SSJ Rose
10. SSJ Blue
11. SSJ Rage
9001. SSJ Blue Evolution :thumbdown:

Did i miss anything relevant?
Didn't include Ultra Instinct since it isn't saiyan form.
But I included Baby and Goku Black hybrid forms.
UI Omen would probably land on 7/8th place and regular UI would land on second last place.
Nothing is worse than SSJBE.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Super Saiyan and Great ape and Ultra Instinct omen(but that is not Saiyan only so it does not count.)

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:36 pm

sunsetsimmer wrote:Nothing is better than SSJBE.
Fixed it for ya

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am

Yeah, I dunno why people hate SSjBE so much. It's cool and pretty to look at, the colors are pleasing too.

I swear, some ppl will never be happy until they see monkey fur, facial markings or some other overdesigned shit

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:17 am

Saturnine wrote:I swear, some ppl will never be happy until they see monkey fur, facial markings or some other overdesigned shit
Wrong, I'm happy whenever I see a classic and beautiful hair with a sparking aura design. That shit is golden! :D
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:52 am

1) Broly restrained SSJ from DBZ and Ikari Broly from DBS
2) Kafla SSJ2
3) Super Mira and Super Fu (does that count as a Saiyan form?)
4) SSJGod (I love the color and the aura, the only thing I dislike about this form is that they become too skinny)
5) SSJ4 (love the hair, eyes, tail and fur)
6) SSJRosé

UI and MUI also look pretty cool, but I don't know if that's a Saiyan form... and that's it. I like regular SSJ forms as well, but they are overused now so, bleh.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:17 am

1. SSJ2. It's basically just SSJ but a little more heightened design wise with lightning.
2. SSJ Blue. I just like the twist on the original design and it does look like it's basically the Saiyan internalization of what would be god ki. It's very appealing to the eye and has a special look to it.
3. SSJ. Classic
4. Oozaru. I just love this. It's such a classical look and is soooo important to Saiyan lore. In many ways, I still consider this the definitive Saiyan transformation.
5. Ultra Instinct/ Omen. I like that it's just a heavily altered base Goku that looks like he's in a trance. I like them equally. I think I like the look of Omen slightly better but the execution of Mastered UI is superior.
6. SSJ God. I like the idea behind it, and yes it does actually transform the character physically. But it's just not very appealing to look at. It takes too much away from the essence of the character and doesn't project power.
7. SSJ3. Convinced Toriyama just wanted to go crazy with a design that was effectively a flawed form due to power consumption. It's unique and still has a good look. But I've found it to be too indulgent over the years.
8. SSJ4. It's everything I hate about GT in character design. Too busy of a design, is just different for the sake of it, is overly complex for no real reason. Also Goku just has such a different personality in this form. The character is barely recognizeable in this form. I'm sorry but this design doesn't even look like it comes from the same series. If you never saw GT and someone showed you a picture of SSJ4 Goku and Vegeta you would never think it's from Dragon Ball or anything related to Dragon Ball.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm

This is where I show off my lizard brain and admit I really like Blue. I don't like the overbearing CG aura it was always accompanied with, but the actual blue look is nice.

1. Super Saiyan 1. Respect the classics.
2. Super Saiyan Rose. Less oppressive than Blue, more fabulous.
3. Super Saiyan Blue. Again, it's a nice, calming colour. Also I like the combo with Kaioken.
4. Ultra Instinct Omen. Cool back-to-basics look. Should've been the final design.
5. Super Saiyan 3. Yes, more than SS2. If you're going to commit, then commit.
6. Super Saiyan God. Love the slim design, not a fan of the red eyes.
7. Super Saiyan 2. Nothing bad about it, but I can understand why people needed Goku to spell out what it was in the Buu arc.
8. Oozaru. Obviously important to the lore, but I can't say I missed it when it was gone.
9. Super Saiyan Berserk/Legendary. Reboot version looks cool, OG Broly looked like he shouldn't have even been able to move. I like Kale's mastered version.
10. Super Saiyan 4. Hello, the 90s called? Props for trying to stick to a theme, but the were-monkey thing never interested me.
11. Ultra Instinct. I can't even see it half the time.
12. Super Saiyan Rage. You what mate?
13. Super Saiyan Blue Evolution. Oh just shit right off.