Would you want Broly to survive this movie and become one of the Z Fighters?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Would you want Broly to survive this movie and become one of the Z Fighters?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:52 pm

As the title says, would you guys prefer if he’d not be killed off at the end of the movie and instead turn good and fight alongside Goku and Vegeta in the future. I think it would make for an interesting turn of events. I can’t see them killing Broly off in this movie. The character is far too populair and the merchandise is too big of a thing aswell. I would love for Broly to stick around after this movie and become a Z Fighter.

What’s your take on it?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Would you want Broly to survive this movie and become one of the Z Fighters?

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:57 pm

Survive, yes. Become one of the Z-fighters? Ehhh, I think that's going a little too far. If he does that should be a long-term character arc like Piccolo or Vegeta and not something that just happens at the drop of the hat. It also depends what his character is actually like.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Would you want Broly to survive this movie and become one of the Z Fighters?

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:43 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Survive, yes. Become one of the Z-fighters? Ehhh, I think that's going a little too far. If he does that should be a long-term character arc like Piccolo or Vegeta and not something that just happens at the drop of the hat. It also depends what his character is actually like.
Agreed. I'm all for Broly surviving the film. But until we actually see his personality, I'm pretty hesitant on him joining the gang, so to speak.

Maybe a true successor to Beerus' role as God of Destruction (something Whis has been looking for, and trying to convince both Goku and Vegeta to go into). Or just doing his own thing, perhaps with Cheelai in tow.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Popularity alone will not dictate Broly's fate. If the writers think that Broly can still play a role in the future, they will keep him alive. Otherwise, they won't. Just look at Goku Black, he is also very popular and has a lot of merchandise, but since he has no role left to play in Super, because his character arc is concluded, he has been erased from existence and will never return (despite being a very popular and beloved antagonist).

But I would like Broly to survive and remain an antagonist/anti-hero like Freeza, and wouldn't want him to turn into another goody goody two shoes. Villains are fun, and we definitely need more villains to make things interesting. That is why I also adore the role that Freeza played in the Tournament of Power.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:24 pm

We still don't know how he's going to be written so a lot will depend on that. If he's written like the older version then there won't be much reason to keep him around as he had 0 personality.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 pm

No, losing the aspect of having to kill/send flying takes away from Broly's threat aura.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Miracles wrote:No, losing the aspect of having to kill/send flying takes away from Broly's threat aura.
I disagree. Frieza is just as much as a threat and he´s still around. I don´t think survivng is the problem

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Miracles wrote:No, losing the aspect of having to kill/send flying takes away from Broly's threat aura.
I disagree. Frieza is just as much as a threat and he´s still around. I don´t think survivng is the problem
I respectfully disagree as well. Freeza is kept around giving the appearance of a threat. While knowing full well Goku or Vegeta can waste him.
This can not be with Broly. His uncontrollable destructive like attitude/power is what made him a legendary character. The good guy routine will kill his atmosphere.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 pm

Miracles wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
I respectfully disagree as well. Freeza is kept around giving the appearance of a threat. While knowing full well Goku or Vegeta can waste him.
This can not be with Broly. His uncontrollable destructive like attitude/power is what made him a legendary character. The good guy routine will kill his atmosphere.
I think it adds to it. Think of it like buu at the end of Z. He is relatively tame, yet could destroy the earth at anytime if he wants. Its the people around him that stop him from doing that, not only because they could defeat him, but because he cares about them. Think of it as a wolf in sheep´s clothing.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Depends on what his new personality ends up being like. Is he interesting? Does he have good rapport/back-and-forth entertaining conversations with other members of the cast? Does he have a fun motivation for sticking around?

Without knowing more about the movie's plot I can't answer exactly. I'd choose the idea of good!Brolli over good!Freeza though. Freeza's the one I never want to see become a good guy. He's too enjoyable a villain.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:27 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: I disagree. Frieza is just as much as a threat and he´s still around. I don´t think survivng is the problem
I think it adds to it. Think of it like buu at the end of Z. He is relatively tame, yet could destroy the earth at anytime if he wants. Its the people around him that stop him from doing that, not only because they could defeat him, but because he cares about them. Think of it as a wolf in sheep´s clothing.
I am and I can not stomach it. Broly will no longer be thst epic Broly that allowed him to be in the movie in the first place. :thumbdown:

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:13 am

Miracles wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
Miracles wrote: I respectfully disagree as well. Freeza is kept around giving the appearance of a threat. While knowing full well Goku or Vegeta can waste him.
I am and I can not stomach it. Broly will no longer be thst epic Broly that allowed him to be in the movie in the first place. :thumbdown:
He can still be a giant muscular epic chad, just with an actual personality and more than one line.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:49 am

God knows he ain't gonna die in this movie. It'll be interesting to see if Toriyama has a long-form idea for Broli or if he'll just join in the background or not.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 am

If he gets a really good character arc, why not?