Does Super have Legendary Timeless Inspirational moments?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does Super have Legendary Timeless Inspirational moments?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:57 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I honestly think Over 9000 line isn't really a "Legendary Timeless Inspirational moment". I think it's just as much as a fad/meme as "This isn't even my final form" or "The Balls are Inert". There are many people that outright don't understand the significant context of the line in the original story. It's a moment really just looked backed fondly -- at least in the American fandom -- because of Drummond's original incredibly hammy delivery of the line.

And how the hell does the Yamcha meme qualify as a "Legendary Timeless Inspirational moment"? Just like Over 9000 line, it looked back on fondly but for not the right reasons at all. With it's original context twisting a game-changing and dramatic moment in the story into a basically a joke that eventually wore out it's welcome in the Western (more specifically the American) fandom.

I think a more appropriate criteria would be moments that can only be attributed to Dragon Ball that retain their significance, visual intensity and/or emotional resonance, regardless of what medium -- whether it be the manga or the anime -- and regardless of how the scene is translated to the respective language beyond the original Japanese performances and audio. In that case, I'd consider these moments in the Dragon Ball series to qualify in that regard:

- Goku meeting Bulma
- Goku killing King Piccolo
- Piccolo killing Raditz
- The Kamehameha/Galick Gun beam clash
- Goku becoming a SSJ against Freeza
- Gohan becoming a SSJ2 against Cell
- Vegeta nuking himself to kill Majin Boo
- Goku becoming a SSJ3 against Majin Boo
- Goku becoming a SSJ4
- The final scene of the final episode Dragon Ball GT
- Goku stacking Kaioken on top of SSJB
- The debut of Goku Black
- Goku attaining Ultra Instinct for the first time
- Ultra Instinct Goku eliminating Kefla
- Goku attaining the complete version of Ultra Instinct
- Goku and Freeza eliminating Jiren
The only reason it does is because other anime/shows or whatever have referenced said memes more than once...and who could forget how it got on Opera of all places XD. I would rather not qualify it, but it's somehow gotten passed the barrier of just being something exclusive to the show.

I talk about things that go beyond it. Things other creators in western or eastern releases will reference. I mean we don't even have to breathe without noticing Super Saiyan alone is referenced so many times in many different media. It's exploded beyond just being something in Dragon ball. It is referenced a lot whether as a nod, a hommage, or not even subtly hiding it like the kid in Gumball saying he is trying to become a Super Saiyan, before actually doing it while look like both Kid Gohan SSJ and SSJ2.

When I say Legendary Timeless Inspiration. I mean like if say we had Ultra Instinct be referenced in other media or manga. That would have it go beyond Dragon Ball. Something like the first SSJ transformation is so timeless that it is used everywhere from American Cartoons to other Japanese anime. We get full homages. Will anything of Super be referenced or homage in future cartoons, anime, and manga...I'm not so sure.

Ultra Instinct is really the only thing that I feel might get the timeless go beyond the series treatment. That and perhaps Goku Blacks Debut. The rest....I don't think so. I'm not sure we're gonna see cartoons or other manga/anime referencing Super Material. I think there might be a chance in something like an action figure in the background, maybe a poster ala DBZ/GT back in the day.....but a full on hommage...I ain't certain it will get that treatment.
We'll have to wait and see whether time will be good with Super's highlights or not. Even with the sub par movie retellings, there is at least the caveat of being able to watch the better produced movie counterparts with ease.

The original series certainly has some noteworthy moments. But I think the show having a constant presence of over 20 years in the West -- whether it be constant the home re-releases, endless re-runs and marathons on TV and the video-games being released every year since 2002 which always recap the most memorable story beats of Dragon Ball -- has certainly had an effect on how much of a cultural reference pool Dragon Ball has become.

But in age where social media has huge presence and anything produced in the digital age can become a trend, who knows how much of an impacts Super's standout original moments will have 5-10 years down the line. How much other aspects of Dragon Ball media will continue to refresh your memory about them.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Does Super have Legendary Timeless moments?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 am

Doctor. wrote:Yes, Goku and Freeza beating Jiren will probably always be remembered. It has its own unique, memorable imagery.
No that was just stupid and i hope it will be forgotten. Goku attaining UI for the first time is the real iconic moment!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:34 am

Bullza wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:This is more about what would be inspirational to other media in eastern and western culture. Something that becomes so timeless it would be used/referenced in other material. This is bigger than just something fans would remember. Perhaps I'll add to the title to make it more clear.
But is Piccolo Daimao's death inspirational to Western culture or been referenced to? The Super Saiyan transformation has....but the Super Saiyan 2 transformation specifically? I wouldn't saythat had any added inspiration that the first transformation didn't already have.

So yeah I don't know what you specifically mean but if there's anything from the show that is going be long remembered, parodied or referenced then it's gonna be when Goku achieved Ultra Instinct for the first time, you heard that music and he just dodged everything.

There's whole videos on YouTube, some of which have millions of views about "Ultra Instinct in real life" or characters in other shows or movies dodging things and they've called it Ultra Instimnt and they've played the music over it.

Nobody who has seen Dragon Ball is gonna forget Ultra Instinct.
yeah I think Ultra Instinct is a perfect example of what this topic is about. You see Ultra Instinct being mentioned everywhere already, and there's videos like "Ultra Instinct shaggy" with millions of views.

That being said, I think it is worth noting that a lot of the prevalence of Super Saiyan in media or in culture is in part because of how ridiculous it is that you change your hair color by being really mad and become super strong.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:00 pm

Beerus hakai on present zamasu
Trunks using the Spirit Sword to chop Zamasu in half.
Goku awakening Ultra Instinct for the first time.
Beerus moment was amazing
The last two are kinda re-used or based on db icon moments , being u.i awakening topping the original reference just because the quality, music and better animation ( 20 years animation evolution) , trunks moment i still prefer the original

Edit : goku eliminating kefla was timeless too .
While the ending of t.o.p arc was cool , the tandem goku freeza is more a scene than a moment , so that’s why it’s not in my list
Last edited by prince212 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Whether you hate or love Super, it had a lot of memorable moments. How it stands in 10 to 20 years is anyone’s guess, but I don’t anyone will forget UI in all its appearances, the Spirit Sword, or Blue Kaioken.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:30 pm

I could definitely see the first time UI Omen was awakened against Jiren as being something referenced like the Gumball references or the (I think) Codename: Kids Next Door references, though it definitely won't have the staying power of Super Saiyan.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:53 pm

The three moments that always stuck out to me as most memorable for good reasons:

Goku Black killing Future Bulma
The SSBK against Hit
Frieza and Goku team up

As for moments that stuck out as bad:

Episode 5
Ressurection F Arc
The Copy Vegeta arc (though admittedly was redeemed in the dub)
The ending of the Future Trunks arc
The handling of Buu throughout the series
The treatment of Piccolo and U4 in the ToP

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:14 pm

One word... SUBJECTIVE.

That’s all this questions boils down to. There is no objectively “better” db moment out there. It’s all subjective. Phrases such as “legendary” and “timeless” and “iconic” are just that. Subjective interpretations of individual minds.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does Super have Legendary Timeless moments?

Post by reecehoward » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yes, Goku and Freeza beating Jiren will probably always be remembered. It has its own unique, memorable imagery.
I was just about to add this. Yes, this moment should be iconic and live beyond the series.

I'd also add Vegeta's beatdown of Black, the one where he gives his speech about Saiyan cells and whatnot. That was pretty epic. The fist clash between Goku and Beerus that threatened to destroy the universe is also pretty iconic now just by the sheer fact that it took the Db characters power tier far beyond where people could downplay their stats across the internet.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:59 pm

Ultra Instinct and Goku vs Jiren that's about it. Oh, and Episode 5 and the movie retellings in general :lol: :lol:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:57 am

Has the Hakai scene been brought up? I'd say that's gonna leave a mark.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Has the Hakai scene been brought up? I'd say that's gonna leave a mark.
It would probably be more impactful if Hakai wasn't turned into a regular, common technique anyone can learn, deflect and tank like the others.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:56 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Has the Hakai scene been brought up? I'd say that's gonna leave a mark.
It would probably be more impactful if Hakai wasn't turned into a regular, common technique anyone can learn, deflect and tank like the others.
Ehh, that already happened to SS and it doesn't make Goku's transformation into one on Namek any less iconic.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:11 am

It is too early to say, (the show is less four years old at this point) but I feel like the moments that will stick out most include:

* Goku turning Kaioken Blue for the first time
* Goku Black's first appearance
* Vegeta's beat-down of Black and speech
* Trunks slicing Zamasu up the dick
* The debut of Ultra Instinct - this one is the biggie
* Goku defeating Kefla
* The final battle against Jiren

There are a few other low-key moments that might stand out as well. Goku and Piccolo sitting on the roof with Pan is a lovely scene that springs to mind.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:18 am

1. Way too early to say.

And

2. Probably not. A cool moment does not an iconic moment make.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:47 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Ehh, that already happened to SS and it doesn't make Goku's transformation into one on Namek any less iconic.
Hakai was ruined literally 1 episode later. That's not the same as your typical power creep.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Bergamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: It would probably be more impactful if Hakai wasn't turned into a regular, common technique anyone can learn, deflect and tank like the others.
Hakai was ruined literally 1 episode later. That's not the same as your typical power creep.
How was it ruined so quickly? I'd say making it a form of energy that's REALLY why Hakaishin are so strong is infinitely stupider.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:01 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Ehh, that already happened to SS and it doesn't make Goku's transformation into one on Namek any less iconic.
How was it ruined so quickly? I'd say making it a form of energy that's REALLY why Hakaishin are so strong is infinitely stupider.
"He has to charge his hakai energy" -125
"Nevermind lol. He can span it at will" -126
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Bergamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: Hakai was ruined literally 1 episode later. That's not the same as your typical power creep.
"He has to charge his hakai energy" -125
"Nevermind lol. He can span it at will" -126
I was referring to Hakai when Beerus did it to Zamasu, that's a unique piece belonging entirely to Super and is gonna stand out as a good bit of iconography I think.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:26 pm

Kataphrut wrote:It is too early to say, (the show is less four years old at this point) but I feel like the moments that will stick out most include:

* Goku turning Kaioken Blue for the first time
* Goku Black's first appearance
* Vegeta's beat-down of Black and speech
* Trunks slicing Zamasu up the dick
* The debut of Ultra Instinct - this one is the biggie
* Goku defeating Kefla
* The final battle against Jiren

There are a few other low-key moments that might stand out as well. Goku and Piccolo sitting on the roof with Pan is a lovely scene that springs to mind.

I can dig this. I would like to add a few memorable moments:

- Vegetas 'my Bulma'-moment
- SSG Goku falling from the sky into the ocean, healing his wound with God-Ki and then relaunching towards Beerus
- Gokus and Vegetas going Blue for the first time
- Vegeta cooking for Beerus and Whis :lol:
- Trunks powering up to SS Rage
- SSB Goku powering up against Black and Zamasu after knowing they killed his family
- SSB Vegetto against Merged Zamasu: short but quite impressive
- Goku versus Gohan: a classic
- Gohan becoming Mystic again in front of Piccolo
- Goku coming to save Master Roschi and 'reviving' him during TOP
- SSB Vegetas valiant stand against Jiren
- 17's final 'sacrifice'