Does Super have Legendary Timeless Inspirational moments?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Does Super have Legendary Timeless Inspirational moments?

Post by Bergamo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:58 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: How was it ruined so quickly? I'd say making it a form of energy that's REALLY why Hakaishin are so strong is infinitely stupider.
"He has to charge his hakai energy" -125
"Nevermind lol. He can span it at will" -126
I was referring to Hakai when Beerus did it to Zamasu, that's a unique piece belonging entirely to Super and is gonna stand out as a good bit of iconography I think.
If that's the case, then I agree that Hakai is iconic.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:18 pm

DBS has already become legendary for reigniting peoples interest in the franchise and causing the fandom to become more split than the north and south were during the American civil war.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I honestly think Over 9000 line isn't really a "Legendary Timeless Inspirational moment". I think it's just as much as a fad/meme as "This isn't even my final form" or "The Balls are Inert". There are many people that outright don't understand the significant context of the line in the original story. It's a moment really just looked backed fondly -- at least in the American fandom -- because of Drummond's original incredibly hammy delivery of the line.

And how the hell does the Yamcha meme qualify as a "Legendary Timeless Inspirational moment"? Just like Over 9000 line, it looked back on fondly but for not the right reasons at all. With it's original context twisting a game-changing and dramatic moment in the story into a basically a joke that eventually wore out it's welcome in the Western (more specifically the American) fandom.

I think a more appropriate criteria would be moments that can only be attributed to Dragon Ball that retain their significance, visual intensity and/or emotional resonance, regardless of what medium -- whether it be the manga or the anime -- and regardless of how the scene is translated to the respective language beyond the original Japanese performances and audio. In that case, I'd consider these moments in the Dragon Ball series to qualify in that regard:

- Goku meeting Bulma
- Goku killing King Piccolo
- Piccolo killing Raditz
- The Kamehameha/Galick Gun beam clash
- Goku becoming a SSJ against Freeza
- Gohan becoming a SSJ2 against Cell
- Vegeta nuking himself to kill Majin Boo
- Goku becoming a SSJ3 against Majin Boo
- Goku becoming a SSJ4
- The final scene of the final episode Dragon Ball GT
- Goku stacking Kaioken on top of SSJB
- The debut of Goku Black
- Goku attaining Ultra Instinct for the first time
- Ultra Instinct Goku eliminating Kefla
- Goku attaining the complete version of Ultra Instinct
- Goku and Freeza eliminating Jiren
I may have problems with GT as a show but its' ending was the best in all of the Dragon Ball series.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:01 am

Episode 5 being episode 5 and Takahashi becoming the saving grace of the animation team will far outlive any "moment" in Super. The best they have is the Goku Black reveal which actually, was pretty dope.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:21 am

I'm actually struggling to think of any finishing move throughout the whole of the franchise that's cooler than Goku using a kamehameha to skid over Kefla's attack.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:14 pm

This moment is one of them:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:18 pm

Jack Bz wrote:I'm actually struggling to think of any finishing move throughout the whole of the franchise that's cooler than Goku using a kamehameha to skid over Kefla's attack.
Yeah you'll have a tough time finding anything cooler. The only one that even remotely compares to me is Goku going through Daimao's chest.

I have rewatched Toppo vs Vegeta more times than I can count so that's one that counts as legendary to me. It could just be because of my Vegeta bias.
-Vegetas 'my Bulma'-moment
- SSG Goku falling from the sky into the ocean, healing his wound with God-Ki and then relaunching towards Beerus
- Gokus and Vegetas going Blue for the first time
- Vegeta cooking for Beerus and Whis :lol:
- Trunks powering up to SS Rage
- SSB Goku powering up against Black and Zamasu after knowing they killed his family
- SSB Vegetto against Merged Zamasu: short but quite impressive
- Goku versus Gohan: a classic
- Gohan becoming Mystic again in front of Piccolo
- Goku coming to save Master Roschi and 'reviving' him during TOP
- SSB Vegetas valiant stand against Jiren
- 17's final 'sacrifice'
I like those. I'll try to add a few more:

-Trunks seeing Black kill his mother
-Vegeta swallowing his pride and kneeling before Whis begging him to train him.
-Roshi saving Vegeta from being in the Mafuba Jar, Vegeta coming out and kicking everyone's ass, and then showing respect towards Roshi and encouraging him to call it a day.
-Vegeta insulting Cabba until he turned SSJ, everyone in the crowd wondering what tf is going on.
-Beerus saying "He's coming" after everyone seemed to be in agreement that Goku was vaporized/killed by his own attack. Gives me chills just thinking about it.
-Vegeta giving his speech defending Goku when Belmod said he couldn't master UI or that he couldn't beat Jiren. He berates him and gives examples of Saiyans doing breaking thier limits etc.
-Toppo crushing Freeza's head and saying "trash was it?" after Freeza said something similar.
-I forgot the guy's name but he shows Videl a picture of Gohan kissing another girl and Videl doesn't take his shit for a second and says there has to be an explanation.
Last edited by PFM18 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:24 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Jack Bz wrote:I'm actually struggling to think of any finishing move throughout the whole of the franchise that's cooler than Goku using a kamehameha to skid over Kefla's attack.
Yeah you'll have a tough time finding anything cooler. The only one that even remotely compares to me is Goku going through Daimao's chest.

I have rewatched Toppo vs Vegeta more times than I can count so that's one that counts as legendary to me. It could just be because of my Vegeta bias.
I’d chalk it up as bias. Toppo vs Vegeta, the end of the fight especially, is derivative at best and insulting at worst. I’d call it legendary only in how eagerly it makes a mockery of Vegeta’s death from the Boo arc.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:29 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

I’d chalk it up as bias. Toppo vs Vegeta, the end of the fight especially, is derivative at best and insulting at worst. I’d call it legendary only in how eagerly it makes a mockery of Vegeta’s death from the Boo arc.
You just kind of say it is bad because you said so. I can't help but think there's a bias going on with your interpretation of the events too given your disdain towards Super. It was by far the most significant victory in the entire history of Vegeta. First time he was actually useful and didn't fuck it up in the end. It is more deep than most conflicts in that Vegeta was fighting what was essentially his selfish old self. As Majin Vegeta, he threw away everything he believed in exchange for power. Toppo did the same, and Vegeta vanquished this mentality and exposes how unproductive it truly is. Almost every other conflict in this franchise is like "Yeah so you're pretty evil so I'm gonna beat you up now."
zarmack wrote:"98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature."
Also, I don't get this business. Not sure if it is a troll but no way 98% of Kanzenshuu members haven't kissed a girl
Last edited by PFM18 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:43 pm

I think its a bit too early to tell. You gotta 5 years after something is released to see if its truly timeless or not.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:33 am

PFM18 wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

You just kind of say it is bad because you said so. I can't help but think there's a bias going on with your interpretation of the events too given your disdain towards Super. It was by far the most significant victory in the entire history of Vegeta. First time he was actually useful and didn't fuck it up in the end. It is more deep than most conflicts in that Vegeta was fighting what was essentially his selfish old self. As Majin Vegeta, he threw away everything he believed in exchange for power. Toppo did the same, and Vegeta vanquished this mentality and exposes how unproductive it truly is. Almost every other conflict in this franchise is like "Yeah so you're pretty evil so I'm gonna beat you up now."
zarmack wrote:"98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature."
Also, I don't get this business. Not sure if it is a troll but no way 98% of Kanzenshuu members haven't kissed a girl
The anime doesn't pull Toppo vs Vegeta off very well. Toppo and Vegeta just spontaneously start fighting mid-episode, and Toppo is portrayed as much less menacing and interesting when compared to his showing in episode 125. To top it all off, the fight has mediocre choreography and ends with really lazy animation in a sequence that can be effectively summarized by the sentence, "big yellow ball beats big purple ball."

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:55 am

Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote: I’d chalk it up as bias. Toppo vs Vegeta, the end of the fight especially, is derivative at best and insulting at worst. I’d call it legendary only in how eagerly it makes a mockery of Vegeta’s death from the Boo arc.
The anime doesn't pull Toppo vs Vegeta off very well. Toppo and Vegeta just spontaneously start fighting mid-episode, and Toppo is portrayed as much less menacing and interesting when compared to his showing in episode 125. To top it all off, the fight has mediocre choreography and ends with really lazy animation in a sequence that can be effectively summarized by the sentence, "big yellow ball beats big purple ball."
The fact that it started at the middle of the episode doesn't diminish anything that I said about it. Toppo isn't portrayed any differently than the previous episode, and you could summarize the Vegeta vs Goku beam clash and the Gohan vs Cell in similar ways; "big blue beam beats big purple beam."

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:16 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

The fact that it started at the middle of the episode doesn't diminish anything that I said about it. Toppo isn't portrayed any differently than the previous episode, and you could summarize the Vegeta vs Goku beam clash and the Gohan vs Cell in similar ways; "big blue beam beats big purple beam."
The portrayal is the same?
What happened to Toppo's aura of destruction?
What happened to Toppo having to charge his Hakai?
And of course, the greatest way to make a villain menacing is to have them get pummeled by rocks.
Let's not forget that they erased one of the most interesting plot points from 125 by having Frieza wake back up and then disappear again.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 am

Bergamo wrote:What happened to Toppo's aura of destruction?
It was still there, obviously. Vegeta just was so strong he punched through it.
Even in 125 when Toppo "charged" the Hakai you could see it was extremely short, it was just a brief moment that they noticed and they thought they could take advantage of and target. They didn't end up targeting it, but it was still charged at the same speed.
And of course, the greatest way to make a villain menacing is to have them get pummeled by rocks.
They aren't just rocks. It is the hardest material in the multiverse. And it had no effect on Toppo anyway. He didn't get "pummeled", you and I both know that it did nothing and you're being dramatic.
Let's not forget that they erased one of the most interesting plot points from 125 by having Frieza wake back up and then disappear again.
completely irrelevant.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:48 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:What happened to Toppo's aura of destruction?
It was still there, obviously. Vegeta just was so strong he punched through it.
Even in 125 when Toppo "charged" the Hakai you could see it was extremely short, it was just a brief moment that they noticed and they thought they could take advantage of and target. They didn't end up targeting it, but it was still charged at the same speed.
They aren't just rocks. It is the hardest material in the multiverse. And it had no effect on Toppo anyway. He didn't get "pummeled", you and I both know that it did nothing and you're being dramatic.
completely irrelevant.
How do you not see the issue. They emphasized Toppo's weakness and then, "didn't end up targeting it."(Also Toppo spams Hakai like a regular kid blast, so I don't even know how you could say it's the same speed). Toppo gets hit by rocks, which regardless of whether or not it did lasting damage is just a pointless inclusion that makes Toppo look goofy. Vegeta can apparently punch through Hakai, and I guess the fact that a major plot point got dropped is irrelevant. Finally, the episode is one of the worst offenders when it comes to loop frame animation.

This all adds up to a pretty bad episode. It's hard to have a timeless moment when it's right in the middle of a sloppy mess of dropped plot points and unnatural storytelling.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 am

Bergamo wrote:How do you not see the issue. They emphasized Toppo's weakness and then, "didn't end up targeting it."(Also Toppo spams Hakai like a regular kid blast, so I don't even know how you could say it's the same speed).
I do see the issue, I didn't say I liked that part of it. If they were going to go that route, they never should have mentioned the charging in the first place. Doesn't mean it can't be a timeless moment.
Toppo gets hit by rocks, which regardless of whether or not it did lasting damage is just a pointless inclusion that makes Toppo look goofy.
I don't see how it makes him look goofy. His moustache already made him look goofy!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:11 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:How do you not see the issue. They emphasized Toppo's weakness and then, "didn't end up targeting it."(Also Toppo spams Hakai like a regular kid blast, so I don't even know how you could say it's the same speed).
I do see the issue, I didn't say I liked that part of it. If they were going to go that route, they never should have mentioned the charging in the first place. Doesn't mean it can't be a timeless moment.
Toppo gets hit by rocks, which regardless of whether or not it did lasting damage is just a pointless inclusion that makes Toppo look goofy.
I don't see how it makes him look goofy. His moustache already made him look goofy!
I'm not saying you can't like the scene, but because of all of the issues with the episode and with the arc in general, I highly doubt people will care about Vegeta vs Toppo 5 years from now.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:25 am

Yes.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:03 am

For me, the only two moments that come close to “legendary” are Goku Black’s reveal and UI Goku defeating Kefla.

The Goku and Freeza scene was good but not timeless imo. the others were just meh.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:33 am

ITT we learn that pfm18 has no idea what a "timeless moment" is.