Does Super have Legendary Timeless Inspirational moments?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Does Super have Legendary Timeless Inspirational moments?

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 am

What I mean is moments that will be remembered and go beyond the show itself for being incredibly iconic. Like how there are several anime references to Dragon Ball scenes you can find from the days of Goku as a kid to him as an adult. The anime/manga has been referenced a ton. Things like..

-Death of Daimao
-Piccolo's Sacrifice
-Yamcha meme
-Over 9000/8000
-The first SSJ transformation
-The first SSJ2 Transformation

Things like that, which will last forever and probably continued to be referenced or parodied.

Can't think of anything from GT beyond the ending...which is really the only thing that could possibly be universally fondly remembered. But that doesn't mean it really went above and beyond the show itself like other examples have above.

Can't think of anything from Super outside of Ultra Instinct that might go beyond the show itself. It definitely left a mark as a fad, the numbers show this, but what will go beyond and become timeless? Things that will be forever looked fondly back on, parodied, and referenced in the future.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

sintzu
Banned

Re: Does Super have Legendary Timeless moments?

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:09 am

I'd also add the scene of Goku and Bulma meeting for the first time, Goku and Roshi's final kick to their faces, Trunks cutting Freeza in half and Vegeta's sacrifice to those iconic moments to name a few.

Super has epic moments for sure but nothing that reaches an "iconic" status. As sad as this is, I think the closest thing Super has to something "iconic" is episode 5 but for all the wrong reasons.
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:09 am

Goku triggering Ultra Instinct for the first time is honestly the closest. There are other “cool” moments, but nothing meaningful or iconic. Super was pretty superficial from start to finish.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:24 am

Yes, Goku and Freeza beating Jiren will probably always be remembered. It has its own unique, memorable imagery.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:29 am

There are some. For example, the Future Trunks arc has very popular memes like "Ningen" (probably one of the most popular Dragon Ball memes, period) and "Zamas!", which basically defines the entire character of Gowasu. And Gowasu is a fan-favourite. Furthermore, when Gowasu was erased in the Tournament of Power arc, people were spamming things like "Rip Gowasu Best Godtuber" or just referencing all of these memes, a reaction that other Supreme Kais certainly didn't have when they were erased. These memes are some of the most popular memes in Dragon Ball, like the Yamcha meme.

I mean, if you never heard these aforementioned memes centered around Zamasu and Gowasu, you are definitely living under a rock, sorry.

But in that arc there are also some very popular and memorable scenes like Beerus killing Zamasu and Fused Zamasu vs. Vegito.
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:30 am

Doctor. wrote:Yes, Goku and Freeza beating Jiren will probably always be remembered. It has its own unique, memorable imagery.
I saw you being the latest post in this thread and I thought for certain you'd say there's none!

Yes, the aforementioned moment along with a slew of other moments produced in DBS that are legendary and timeless moments

Goku's first Ultra Instinct transformation gave me more chills and felt better than any other transformation sequence in the franchise. When Beerus says "he's coming" it is just amazing, and then seeing Goku turn around with the silver eyes is just such a legendary moment.
OhHiRenan wrote:Goku triggering Ultra Instinct for the first time is honestly the closest. There are other “cool” moments, but nothing meaningful or iconic. Super was pretty superficial from start to finish.
As if Super is so different in it's depth than the original series.....
Last edited by PFM18 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 am

sintzu wrote:I'd also add the scene of Goku and Bulma meeting for the first time, Goku and Roshi's final kick to their faces, Trunks cutting Freeza in half and Vegeta's sacrifice to those iconic moments to name a few.

Super has epic moments for sure but nothing that reaches an "iconic" status. As sad as this is, I think the closest thing Super has to something "iconic" is episode 5 but for all the wrong reasons.
True I was just throwing out some stuff at the top of my head. Things other shows have referenced and media showing how the classic series had gone beyond it's time and became timeless.

GT only had the ending which honestly was what felt like a proper send off to the series....if you look at it as just the ending XD. But even then I don't think it went beyond to timeless status.
OhHiRenan wrote:Goku triggering Ultra Instinct for the first time is honestly the closest. There are other “cool” moments, but nothing meaningful or iconic. Super was pretty superficial from start to finish.
It was huge when it came out, but it may have been fad status rather than timeless. We'll have to wait and see.
Doctor. wrote:Yes, Goku and Freeza beating Jiren will probably always be remembered. It has its own unique, memorable imagery.
Perhaps, but I don't know if that is gonna reach timeless status. It had the most interesting imagery, but I don't think it felt earned as a union I guess. But really no one can know for sure til we see how it affects media in the years to come.
SupremeKai25 wrote:There are some. For example, the Future Trunks arc has very popular memes like "Ningen" (probably one of the most popular Dragon Ball memes, period) and "Zamas!", which basically defines the entire character of Gowasu. And Gowasu is a fan-favourite. Furthermore, when Gowasu was erased in the Tournament of Power arc, people were spamming things like "Rip Gowasu Best Godtuber" or just referencing all of these memes, a reaction that other Supreme Kais certainly didn't have when they were erased. These memes are some of the most popular memes in Dragon Ball, like the Yamcha meme.

I mean, if you never heard these aforementioned memes centered around Zamasu and Gowasu, you are definitely living under a rock, sorry.

But in that arc there are also some very popular and memorable scenes like Beerus killing Zamasu and Fused Zamasu vs. Vegito.
That's not timeless, that's what I call a fad. I don't think any of that is what is gonna be looked back, referenced, or thought of as legendary. I can't see any of that be talked about in the same vein as say Goku going SSJ for the first time. That's more like something like Ugandan Knuckles or What does the Fox Say. Something that will probably die out like other memes.

Things I mentioned above are put in other shows in both western and eastern culture. I don't think Beerus killing Zamasu or The Fusion battle are things that will be referenced a bunch. Mostly because none of those moments lead to anything nor have the a strong lasting appeal as I don't think either leaves an actual mark. A mark would be something that changed an individual, season, or series.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:46 am

PFM18 wrote:
I saw you being the latest post in this thread and I thought for certain you'd say there's none!

Yes, the aforementioned moment along with a slew of other moments produced in DBS that are legendary and timeless moments

Goku's first Ultra Instinct transformation gave me more chills and felt better than any other transformation sequence in the franchise. When Beerus says "he's coming" it is just amazing, and then seeing Goku turn around with the silver eyes is just such a legendary moment.

That moment popped into my head immediately because it really is a well-executed scene in spite of the gripes I may have had with the way Freeza was handled in the rest of the tournament, but it would be difficult for me to name any other scenes. That's because many of the more 'memorable' scenes in the series are callbacks or references to iconic moments of the original series (father-son galick gun, Vegetto Blue, Genkidama vs Jiren, SSB Kaioken, Vegeta's explosion vs Toppo), and they often don't do anything interesting with the callback to justify its existence. And while they may seem cool to the fans in the moment, they're to the series' detriment in the long run, because it ends up without an identity, without its own unique imagery. The reason the Goku/Freeza team-up works is because although it may be a callback in a way, it changes the way we view their dynamic while producing unique imagery in the process; being a really good moment just in general is just icing on the cake.

If I were to name other scenes, the reveal of UI Omen as already mentioned would be one of them. Spirit Sword Trunks probably as well, as stupid as the scene is. Goku Black's introduction may be up there because of how fun and memorable the character ended up being, all kickstarted by his great reveal. It also signals the shift of the series in tone, from a light-hearted side-story to a serious attempt at a Z sequel, as well as the shift in production value, as this is the arc where both the animation department and Sumitomo started stepping up their game. I'd name Rosé as well, because of how pretentious and over-the-top his speech was (and, in turn, funny and memorable), and his subsequent stabbing of Vegeta, but I feel the transformation lacks impact compared to others in the series and speeches aren't often iconic in this series unless they're the culmination of a character's arc, like Vegeta in the Boo arc or Goku's Super Saiyan speech.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 am

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

That moment popped into my head immediately because it really is a well-executed scene in spite of the gripes I may have had with the way Freeza was handled in the rest of the tournament, but it would be difficult for me to name any other scenes. That's because many of the more 'memorable' scenes in the series are callbacks or references to iconic moments of the original series (father-son galick gun, Vegetto Blue, Genkidama vs Jiren, SSB Kaioken, Vegeta's explosion vs Toppo), and they often don't do anything interesting with the callback to justify its existence. And while they may seem cool to the fans in the moment, they're to the series' detriment in the long run, because it ends up without an identity, without its own unique imagery. The reason the Goku/Freeza team-up works is because although it may be a callback in a way, it changes the way we view their dynamic while producing unique imagery in the process; being a really good moment just in general is just icing on the cake.

If I were to name other scenes, the reveal of UI Omen as already mentioned would be one of them. Spirit Sword Trunks probably as well, as stupid as the scene is. Goku Black's introduction may be up there because of how fun and memorable the character ended up being, all kickstarted by his great reveal. It also signals the shift of the series in tone, from a light-hearted side-story to a serious attempt at a Z sequel, as well as the shift in production value, as this is the arc where both the animation department and Sumitomo started stepping up their game. I'd name Rosé as well, because of how pretentious and over-the-top his speech was (and, in turn, funny and memorable), and his subsequent stabbing of Vegeta, but I feel the transformation lacks impact compared to others in the series and speeches aren't often iconic in this series unless they're the culmination of a character's arc, like Vegeta in the Boo arc or Goku's Super Saiyan speech.
I'm not so sure about the Spirit Sword honestly, but actually yeah the introduction of Black I can see becoming something big. It was an amazing introduction. So I guess that makes potentially 2 moments for me.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:57 am

I'd say there'd be a bunch of things that fans would remember for years to come, just as well as other seens.. Scenes such as

Goku using the Kaio-ken with Super Saiyan Blue after having not used Kaio-ken since Frieza.

Super Saiyan Blue Vegito making an appearance.

Trunks using the Spirit Sword to chop Zamasu in half.

Goku awakening Ultra Instinct for the first time.

Goku awakening the Mastered Ultra Instinct for the first time.

Goku and Frieza teaming up and finally defeating Jiren.

It's hard to say though because the Yamcha meme is really legendary to begin with, it's just an internet joke and most fans remember pretty most things from the show anyway.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:10 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

I'm not so sure about the Spirit Sword honestly, but actually yeah the introduction of Black I can see becoming something big. It was an amazing introduction. So I guess that makes potentially 2 moments for me.
I thought the Spirit Sword was worth a shout because it's a unique climax to a major arc and one of the few times someone other than Goku defeats the main villain. The last part is one of the reasons the Cell vs Gohan KHH is so remembered after all, though obviously Gohan had a lot more build-up to his moment than Trunks did. I don't think it will become as iconic as any of the deaths of the major Z villains but I can see it being remembered for the novelty of it. Either that or because of how retarded it is.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does Super have Legendary Timeless Inspirational moments?

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:15 am

Bullza wrote:I'd say there'd be a bunch of things that fans would remember for years to come, just as well as other seens.
This is more about what would be inspirational to other media in eastern and western culture. Something that becomes so timeless it would be used/referenced in other material. This is bigger than just something fans would remember. Perhaps I'll add to the title to make it more clear.
Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

I thought the Spirit Sword was worth a shout because it's a unique climax to a major arc and one of the few times someone other than Goku defeats the main villain. The last part is one of the reasons the Cell vs Gohan KHH is so remembered after all, though obviously Gohan had a lot more build-up to his moment than Trunks did. I don't think it will become as iconic as any of the deaths of the major Z villains but I can see it being remembered for the novelty of it. Either that or because of how retarded it is.
I think what holds me back on that is Trunks didn't win. Zeno did. Honestly Trunks unintentionally made things worse and Zeno had to do clean up. Also it doesn't feel nearly as earned. I feel like you can get a better Spirit Sword inspirational moment from Kuwabara from Yuyu Hakusho honestly....especially since he earned it. But you are more on tract than others as just referencing previous Dragon Ball moments takes away from forming an identity, and not creating new inspiration.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:29 am

dbzfan7 wrote:This is more about what would be inspirational to other media in eastern and western culture. Something that becomes so timeless it would be used/referenced in other material. This is bigger than just something fans would remember. Perhaps I'll add to the title to make it more clear.
But is Piccolo Daimao's death inspirational to Western culture or been referenced to? The Super Saiyan transformation has....but the Super Saiyan 2 transformation specifically? I wouldn't saythat had any added inspiration that the first transformation didn't already have.

So yeah I don't know what you specifically mean but if there's anything from the show that is going be long remembered, parodied or referenced then it's gonna be when Goku achieved Ultra Instinct for the first time, you heard that music and he just dodged everything.

There's whole videos on YouTube, some of which have millions of views about "Ultra Instinct in real life" or characters in other shows or movies dodging things and they've called it Ultra Instimnt and they've played the music over it.

Nobody who has seen Dragon Ball is gonna forget Ultra Instinct.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:38 am

Bullza wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:This is more about what would be inspirational to other media in eastern and western culture. Something that becomes so timeless it would be used/referenced in other material. This is bigger than just something fans would remember. Perhaps I'll add to the title to make it more clear.
But is Piccolo Daimao's death inspirational to Western culture or been referenced to? The Super Saiyan transformation has....but the Super Saiyan 2 transformation specifically? I wouldn't saythat had any added inspiration that the first transformation didn't already have.

So yeah I don't know what you specifically mean but if there's anything from the show that is going be long remembered, parodied or referenced then it's gonna be when Goku achieved Ultra Instinct for the first time, you heard that music and he just dodged everything.

There's whole videos on YouTube, some of which have millions of views about "Ultra Instinct in real life" or characters in other shows or movies dodging things and they've called it Ultra Instimnt and they've played the music over it.

Nobody who has seen Dragon Ball is gonna forget Ultra Instinct.
Actually yes. I've seen a few for SSJ2 like in an anime where this girl in Hacka Doll goes SSJ/2 in the same vein as Dragon Ball which parodied both Goku and Gohan, and Gumball where the main character literally did the whole SSJ/2 Gohan transformation all at once. That's just 2 examples, we have a thread with loads more in the general area.

I agree UI is the closest possibly. Only time will tell if it gets fad status or legendary inspirational status.

I think there's a good chance of reference status as we have had GT references from figures to a kid asking for GT tapes in a movie. So I think at minimum we'll get those kind of references....but full on scene references....that I ain't so sure about yet.

You can use youtube to find so many. One from Bobobobo has a Chaozu blowing himself up reference which I didn't expect of all things.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:31 am

I honestly think Over 9000 line isn't really a "Legendary Timeless Inspirational moment". I think it's just as much as a fad/meme as "This isn't even my final form" or "The Balls are Inert". There are many people that outright don't understand the significant context of the line in the original story. It's a moment really just looked backed fondly -- at least in the American fandom -- because of Drummond's original incredibly hammy delivery of the line.

And how the hell does the Yamcha meme qualify as a "Legendary Timeless Inspirational moment"? Just like Over 9000 line, it looked back on fondly but for not the right reasons at all. With it's original context twisting a game-changing and dramatic moment in the story into a basically a joke that eventually wore out it's welcome in the Western (more specifically the American) fandom.

I think a more appropriate criteria would be moments that can only be attributed to Dragon Ball that retain their significance, visual intensity and/or emotional resonance, regardless of what medium -- whether it be the manga or the anime -- and regardless of how the scene is translated to the respective language beyond the original Japanese performances and audio. In that case, I'd consider these moments in the Dragon Ball series to qualify in that regard:

- Goku meeting Bulma
- Goku killing King Piccolo
- Piccolo killing Raditz
- The Kamehameha/Galick Gun beam clash
- Goku becoming a SSJ against Freeza
- Gohan becoming a SSJ2 against Cell
- Vegeta nuking himself to kill Majin Boo
- Goku becoming a SSJ3 against Majin Boo
- Goku becoming a SSJ4
- The final scene of the final episode Dragon Ball GT
- Goku stacking Kaioken on top of SSJB
- The debut of Goku Black
- Goku attaining Ultra Instinct for the first time
- Ultra Instinct Goku eliminating Kefla
- Goku attaining the complete version of Ultra Instinct
- Goku and Freeza eliminating Jiren

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:51 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I honestly think Over 9000 line isn't really a "Legendary Timeless Inspirational moment". I think it's just as much as a fad/meme as "This isn't even my final form" or "The Balls are Inert". There are many people that outright don't understand the significant context of the line in the original story. It's a moment really just looked backed fondly -- at least in the American fandom -- because of Drummond's original incredibly hammy delivery of the line.

And how the hell does the Yamcha meme qualify as a "Legendary Timeless Inspirational moment"? Just like Over 9000 line, it looked back on fondly but for not the right reasons at all. With it's original context twisting a game-changing and dramatic moment in the story into a basically a joke that eventually wore out it's welcome in the Western (more specifically the American) fandom.

I think a more appropriate criteria would be moments that can only be attributed to Dragon Ball that retain their significance, visual intensity and/or emotional resonance, regardless of what medium -- whether it be the manga or the anime -- and regardless of how the scene is translated to the respective language beyond the original Japanese performances and audio. In that case, I'd consider these moments in the Dragon Ball series to qualify in that regard:

- Goku meeting Bulma
- Goku killing King Piccolo
- Piccolo killing Raditz
- The Kamehameha/Galick Gun beam clash
- Goku becoming a SSJ against Freeza
- Gohan becoming a SSJ2 against Cell
- Vegeta nuking himself to kill Majin Boo
- Goku becoming a SSJ3 against Majin Boo
- Goku becoming a SSJ4
- The final scene of the final episode Dragon Ball GT
- Goku stacking Kaioken on top of SSJB
- The debut of Goku Black
- Goku attaining Ultra Instinct for the first time
- Ultra Instinct Goku eliminating Kefla
- Goku attaining the complete version of Ultra Instinct
- Goku and Freeza eliminating Jiren
The only reason it does is because other anime/shows or whatever have referenced said memes more than once...and who could forget how it got on Opera of all places XD. I would rather not qualify it, but it's somehow gotten passed the barrier of just being something exclusive to the show.

I talk about things that go beyond it. Things other creators in western or eastern releases will reference. I mean we don't even have to breathe without noticing Super Saiyan alone is referenced so many times in many different media. It's exploded beyond just being something in Dragon ball. It is referenced a lot whether as a nod, a hommage, or not even subtly hiding it like the kid in Gumball saying he is trying to become a Super Saiyan, before actually doing it while look like both Kid Gohan SSJ and SSJ2.

When I say Legendary Timeless Inspiration. I mean like if say we had Ultra Instinct be referenced in other media or manga. That would have it go beyond Dragon Ball. Something like the first SSJ transformation is so timeless that it is used everywhere from American Cartoons to other Japanese anime. We get full homages. Will anything of Super be referenced or homage in future cartoons, anime, and manga...I'm not so sure.

Ultra Instinct is really the only thing that I feel might get the timeless go beyond the series treatment. That and perhaps Goku Blacks Debut. The rest....I don't think so. I'm not sure we're gonna see cartoons or other manga/anime referencing Super Material. I think there might be a chance in something like an action figure in the background, maybe a poster ala DBZ/GT back in the day.....but a full on hommage...I ain't certain it will get that treatment.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:00 am

- Goku stacking Kaioken on top of Blue while fighting Hit.
- Reveal of Goku Black.
- Trunks slicing Zamasu in half.
- Goku tapping into Ultra Instinct for the first time.
- Goku using the Kamehameha to skid over Kafla's blast.
- Goku achieving complete Ultra Instinct.
- Goku and Freeza eliminating Jiren.

Out of all of those, I feel like Goku achieving complete Ultra Instinct will be what people remember the most.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 am

That's not timeless, that's what I call a fad. I don't think any of that is what is gonna be looked back, referenced, or thought of as legendary. I can't see any of that be talked about in the same vein as say Goku going SSJ for the first time. That's more like something like Ugandan Knuckles or What does the Fox Say. Something that will probably die out like other memes.
The Future Trunks arc ended 2 years ago (that's a long time ago), and yet many (even youtubers) still talk about certain memorable scenes from the franchise on all social medias (for example, Geekdom in a recent video said that, in his opinion, Hakai is one of the best Dragon Ball attacks/techniques ever). I'd say that they have already passed the "fad threshold" and have ascended to become something more.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:09 am

I thought the Spirit Sword was worth a shout because it's a unique climax to a major arc and one of the few times someone other than Goku defeats the main villain. [/quote]
Except the fact that he fails to do so anyways soo...

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
The Future Trunks arc ended 2 years ago (that's a long time ago), and yet many (even youtubers) still talk about certain memorable scenes from the franchise on all social medias (for example, Geekdom in a recent video said that, in his opinion, Hakai is one of the best Dragon Ball attacks/techniques ever). I'd say that they have already passed the "fad threshold" and have ascended to become something more.
I guess I watch different people as I never hear any of that. I don't think we're gonna see Hakai be referenced in anime, cartoons, or manga by other creators. Nor do I think the same of Gowasu. I think people are misunderstanding what I mean. I mean things iconic enough that it is referenced and used in other media. Whether parody or legit. Like how we have many characters going Super Saiyan in other media, or directly referencing whole scenes with hommages. Something small as in the Flash TV show they talk about Dragon Ball Z, or something larger like a character using the Kamehameha or going SSJ from a whole other series. Maybe we will one day see an UI hommage, or maybe not. It's the closest I think to possibly getting that treatment.
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote: Except the fact that he fails to do so anyways soo...
Which is kinda why I am hesitant to think it would be referenced or get a hommage...especially when we have Kuwabara and his Spirit Sword so XP.