Vegeta’s role in the upcoming movie.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Vegeta’s role in the upcoming movie.

Post by Mercenary » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:21 pm

This is the movie Toriyama was talking about when he meant Vegeta having the main role. Remember that interview?

I am sure about that.

Broly attacked Vegeta first because he wants to take revenge on Vegeta’s family.

Toriyama saw how they humiliated Vegeta in the first Broly movies and he wants to redeem him.

Even movie creators have recently stated that this is a change from Vegeta being a jobber and joke character and his performance is really good. Obviously they couldn’t reveal more info.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Vegeta’s role in the upcoming movie.

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:49 pm

The movie Toriyama was talking about was the yet to be announced Resurrection F and Vegeta got that main role by not only being Goku's equal but also beating Freeza. Vegeta's role in this movie has more to do with his role in the story naturally progressing towards something better, it has nothing to do with a statement Toriyama made years ago when a 3rd movie as a whole let alone its concept didn't exist.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:57 pm

sintzu wrote:The movie Toriyama was talking about was the yet to be announced Resurrection F and Vegeta got that main role by not only being Goku's equal but also beating Freeza. Vegeta's role in this movie has more to do with his role in the story naturally progressing towards something better, it has nothing to do with a statement Toriyama made years ago when a 3rd movie as a whole let alone its concept didn't exist.
Nah, he was on par with Goku pretty much all the time, throughout entire DBS with some exceptions.

He got few minutes of beating up WEAKENED Frieza and then he just got blew up along with the planet. Goku was the one to deliver the final blow.

Is this kind of the main role you’re talking about?

This movie makes much more sense based on the troops I gave you.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Mercenary wrote:He got few minutes of beating up WEAKENED Frieza and then he just got blew up along with the planet. Goku was the one to deliver the final blow.

Would you have rather seen Vegeta get taken down be Sorbet only for Goku to come in and beat Freeza down ? Another plus to Vegeta's role in RF is that Super put more emphasis on it by having Goku be completely destroyed by Freeza in their fight and Vegeta to be the only one to actually beat him up. Goku still got the final blow but Vegeta got the better fight.

I know this movie seems to be giving him a better role, I just think it has more to do with where he was at the end of Super and where it feels natural to take him, not that Toriyama was thinking about something he said years ago.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
Mercenary wrote:He got few minutes of beating up WEAKENED Frieza and then he just got blew up along with the planet. Goku was the one to deliver the final blow.

Would you have rather seen Vegeta get taken down be Sorbet only for Goku to come in and beat Freeza down ? Another plus to Vegeta's role in RF is that Super put more emphasis on it by having Goku be completely destroyed by Freeza in their fight and Vegeta to be the only one to actually beat him up. Goku still got the final blow but Vegeta got the better fight.

I know this movie seems to be giving him a better role, I just think it has more to do with where he was at the end of Super and where it feels natural to take him, not that Toriyama was thinking about something he said years ago.
Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that Toriyama INDEED was thinking about giving Vegeta the leading role for once. I just hope my theory is not a total BS :D.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Mercenary wrote:Fair enough. I just wanted to point out that Toriyama INDEED was thinking about giving Vegeta the leading role for once. I just hope my theory is not a total BS :D.
Gogeta (the worst kept secret of this movie) is most likely going to defeat Broly so despite Vegeta possibly leading in some way and having a significant role, he's not going to be the one who ends things. I do however think he'll get his time to shine when he eventually unlocks UI (or something similar) as that'll justify him taking down a main villain.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Why not just say Vegeta's the star of this?

Like he has been since BATTLE OF GODS (My Bulma) and RESURRECTION F (where he turns on Vegeta). Not really a complaint, but he does carry the major drama of DB, so anything serious has to be on him.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:25 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Why not just say Vegeta's the star of this?

Like he has been since BATTLE OF GODS (My Bulma) and RESURRECTION F (where he turns on Vegeta). Not really a complaint, but he does carry the major drama of DB, so anything serious has to be on him.
Are you being serious right now mate?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Toriyama is more likely to admit to tax evasion than make Vegeta the main lead in any arc or movie. He's not changing what he's been doing for decades , especially now

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:04 pm

That you Engorgio???

Anyways, i agree with the OP here. This seems like the perfect opportunity for Vegeta to get the main win. Considering all facts and statements surrounding it..

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:44 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:This seems like the perfect opportunity for Vegeta to get the main win. Considering all facts and statements surrounding it..
If Vegeta is ever going to get a main win it'll only happen once so it's better to save it for when he eventually gets UI. With Gogeta being in this movie I don't see how there'll be room for Vegeta to win or how it'll make sense when he, Goku and Freeza are being destroyed by Broly.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:17 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:That you Engorgio???

Anyways, i agree with the OP here. This seems like the perfect opportunity for Vegeta to get the main win. Considering all facts and statements surrounding it..
That's me. Hi mate :D.

sintzu wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:This seems like the perfect opportunity for Vegeta to get the main win. Considering all facts and statements surrounding it..
If Vegeta is ever going to get a main win it'll only happen once so it's better to save it for when he eventually gets UI. With Gogeta being in this movie I don't see how there'll be room for Vegeta to win or how it'll make sense when he, Goku and Freeza are being destroyed by Broly.
Vegeta always gets transformations off-screen, while Goku gets a proper build-up. Vegeta got SSJ1, SSJ2, SSG/SSB off-screen, because Goku does it first, but Vegeta does it better.

Also, from what we know - Vegeta is desperately trying to catch-up to Goku (from the synopsis), so that may mean he will achieve UI or something as strong in the upcoming movie.

SSB Vegeta is useless nowadays.

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:09 am

He'll get a power up, job to Broly, then Goku will get an even stronger power up and win. Classic DB.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 am

Mercenary wrote: Toriyama saw how they humiliated Vegeta in the first Broly movies and he wants to redeem him.
To be fair, Vegeta was equally humiliated in all Toei-written movies. Also to be fair, he didn't look much worse than Goku did very often in those movies though. Of course that all went downhill once Goku got SSj3.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 am

Saturnine wrote:To be fair, Vegeta was equally humiliated in all Toei-written movies. Also to be fair, he didn't look much worse than Goku did very often in those movies though. Of course that all went downhill once Goku got SSj3.
I think they're even when it comes to getting hit in the junk by robots. That has to count for something. :lol:

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Vegeta will appear from the ice even if he was not invited to the fight and will get curbstomped by Broly and Goku will beat Broly... That's not what will happen I think.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Vegeta's role? To get jobbed and bodied so the villain appears more threatening. Also so Goku can look even more badass when he finally kills Broly with UI. Second fiddle will always be second fiddle no matter what toriyama or toei say to hype him and his fanbase up.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:29 am

Nokra wrote:Vegeta's role? To get jobbed and bodied so the villain appears more threatening. Also so Goku can look even more badass when he finally kills Broly with UI. Second fiddle will always be second fiddle no matter what toriyama or toei say to hype him and his fanbase up.
Yup,
Vegeta will play second fiddle and be the punching bag, and Goku will pull some awesome transformation out of his ass and save the day.
This is about as classic a trope as it gets between these two.

Sigh, it must be great being a Goku fan. :problem:

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:51 am

SsjCookie wrote:
Nokra wrote:Vegeta's role? To get jobbed and bodied so the villain appears more threatening. Also so Goku can look even more badass when he finally kills Broly with UI. Second fiddle will always be second fiddle no matter what toriyama or toei say to hype him and his fanbase up.
Yup,
Vegeta will play second fiddle and be the punching bag, and Goku will pull some awesome transformation out of his ass and save the day.
This is about as classic a trope as it gets between these two.

Sigh, it must be great being a Goku fan. :problem:
Probably. Never been a fan of the guy :D.

MajinVegetaPD
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaPD » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Vegeta's role in this movie will be like anything else he's ever been in.

He's gonna spit some cheesy line about his pride, get his you know what handed to him, and Goku will come on and do clean up.