Why can’t they wish back Bardock and Gine?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Why can’t they wish back Bardock and Gine?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 pm

I mean, i understand that these characters have been dead for years, but that’s really not anything the dragon balls can’t take care of. I would love for Goku to meet his true parents Bardock and Gine and see what his reaction to them would be, and vice versa. It would be a really emotional reunion. That’s for sure. I’d love to see what their reactions would be towards seeing their own son Goku aswell! Who is now a grown up — Even a grand father in fact! He could introduce them to all his Super Saiyan forms and make them proud and surprised with what he has accomplished. I can’t wait to see their reaction to that aswell! It would really be an interesting turn of events for them to be brought back to life and meet their son.

And have them live on earth from now on.

What do you think???

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why can’t they wish back Bardock and Gine?

Post by Shaddy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Because Goku probably thinks they're assholes like Raditz, because the last time he was written to even think about his parents, they were.

Also because that would take an immensely good writer to pull off well, which Dragon Ball has never had. There wouldn't be an "emotional reunion", that's for sure.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Goku does not care about his biological parents and thus he has no reason to bring them back, nothing more nothing less.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:00 am

Their souls were probably already recycled. It's almost certainly impossible to bring them back now.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:03 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:I mean, i understand that these characters have been dead for years, but that’s really not anything the dragon balls can’t take care of. I would love for Goku to meet his true parents Bardock and Gine and see what his reaction to them would be, and vice versa. It would be a really emotional reunion. That’s for sure. I’d love to see what their reactions would be towards seeing their own son Goku aswell! Who is now a grown up — Even a grand father in fact! He could introduce them to all his Super Saiyan forms and make them proud and surprised with what he has accomplished. I can’t wait to see their reaction to that aswell! It would really be an interesting turn of events for them to be brought back to life and meet their son.

And have them live on earth from now on.

What do you think???
The others already answered it.
But, there is a fanfic out there that actually goes into it, but it goes off of the Bardock Special (where he goes Super Saiyan). But, it kind of combines that Bardock with the one from Minus (personality wise, at least). And drops him into the Great Saiyaman mini-Arc.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 am

Bergamo wrote:Their souls were probably already recycled. It's almost certainly impossible to bring them back now.
If they want to, they could do it via asspull.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 am

Jord wrote:
Bergamo wrote:Their souls were probably already recycled. It's almost certainly impossible to bring them back now.
If they want to, they could do it via asspull.
Just like bringing back Freeza right?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 am

1. Their souls have almost certainly been recycled by now.
2. Goku doesn't know they aren't total bastards like Vegeta or Raditz. (Which is actually a cool tragic element to the Bardock Retcon.
3. Bardock is still alive having been snatched by Mira and Towa, and somewhere out there lost in time due to Xenoverse events if you see that as Canon.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 am

That argument is completely irrelevant if Toriyama decides to bring them back. He has retconned so many things before and ignored so many previously established plot points that this one hardly matters. If he wants to bring them back, he’s more than capable of bringing them back. No problem.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:14 pm

TobyS wrote:1. Their souls have almost certainly been recycled by now.
2. Goku doesn't know they aren't total bastards like Vegeta or Raditz. (Which is actually a cool tragic element to the Bardock Retcon.
3. Bardock is still alive having been snatched by Mira and Towa, and somewhere out there lost in time due to Xenoverse events if you see that as Canon.
If Xenoverse is canon, then so are DBFZ and the SDBH anime.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:39 pm

If Goku isn't willing to wish back Gohan, there's no reason that he would wish back his biological parents.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:42 pm

What do you mean “recycled”? As far as i remember, there was never a time limit to how long a person could be dead before they’re unable to be wished back.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 pm

No. Not gonna happen. The only way i see Bardock or Gine coming back is if they never died in the first place.
Goku doesn’t know them neither does he show any interest in them.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:18 pm

Goku barely knew them and has no memory of them or any connection to them at all.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
What do you mean “recycled”? As far as i remember, there was never a time limit to how long a person could be dead before they’re unable to be wished back.
The cycle of reincarnation. Their souls are purified, stripped of their memories and reincarnated as someone else.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:31 pm

In fairness, that's more of a thing villains go through in hell. It seems like good people get to stay in heaven. That wouldn't apply to Bardock anyway, though.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:53 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Goku barely knew them and has no memory of them or any connection to them at all.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
The cycle of reincarnation. Their souls are purified, stripped of their memories and reincarnated as someone else.
When was it established that all dead people get reincarnated?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Goku barely knew them and has no memory of them or any connection to them at all.
AnimeNation101 wrote: What do you mean “recycled”? As far as i remember, there was never a time limit to how long a person could be dead before they’re unable to be wished back.
When was it established that all dead people get reincarnated?
Bardock was a career killer who committed genocide for profit without a single sign of remorse. If protecting his son and dying to fight a bad guy wasn't enough to spare Vegeta from that fate, then it wouldn't spare Bardock who hadn't gone nearly as far along the path to redemption when died. Gine is more of an arguable case, but she worked in that same business before being removed from the battlefield which doesn't bode well for her prospects either.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:50 pm

As far as Goku’s concerned, Grandpa Gohan was his only parent. He wouldn’t quite frankly give a shit about Bardock and Gine. As of now, he probably thinks they’re like Raditz. If he does see how they really are, it won’t go beyond, “oh, hey, that’s cool.”

It’d be a real one-sided emotional reunion. Nothing like Grandpa Gohan.

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 am

He could always just time travel to the past to meet them if he wanted. But Goku doesn't care. Like, at all.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:58 am

kudo6000 wrote:As far as Goku’s concerned, Grandpa Gohan was his only parent. He wouldn’t quite frankly give a shit about Bardock and Gine. As of now, he probably thinks they’re like Raditz. If he does see how they really are, it won’t go beyond, “oh, hey, that’s cool.”

It’d be a real one-sided emotional reunion. Nothing like Grandpa Gohan.
Gohan and Goten meet grandpa Bardock and grandma Gine...

Commence the bad influence grandparenting of Bardock.