DB vs. DBZ vs. DBGT vs. DBS vs. SDBH: What are the strengths and weaknesses of each series. And which is the best imo?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

DB vs. DBZ vs. DBGT vs. DBS vs. SDBH: What are the strengths and weaknesses of each series. And which is the best imo?

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:13 am

So what do you think?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB vs. DBZ vs. DBGT vs. DBS vs. SDBH: What are the strengths and weaknesses of each series. And which is the best I'm

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am

Dragon Ball
• Strength: Its adventure theme. Simply love when characters go from here to there and such. Lots of playful moments. Mostly okay movies with Movie 4 being the best one.

• Weakness: Too many tournaments. Muten Roshi's constant appeal to harass girls.

Dragon Ball Z
• Strength: I liked the more mature theme that was given to this part of the series. Lots of twists. The introduction of cool concepts and characters that became my favorite ones. Mostly cool movies with the best one being Movie 12. Cool OVAs. Two TV Specials that are the meaning of "masterpiece".

• Weakness: It lost a lot of the adventure and it focused too much on fights. A lot of boring fillers.

Dragon Ball Online
• Strength: It knew the right direction to go after the end of the previous series. It brought a new plot and a lot of things that are the best out of everything seen so far.

• Weakness: None.

Dragon Ball GT
• Strength: It risked a lot. I liked that it tried to recapture the adventure theme that was lost. Liked that they dared to kill one from the main cast permanently. Using Dragon Balls as the last villains was clever. It has a cool TV Special.

• Weakness: Execution.

Dragon Ball Super
• Strength: I liked that it gave Super Saiyan 2 more highlight. Liked the introduction of a couple of concepts and characters.

• Weakness: Too many tournaments for a series that has only five sagas (two retellings, two tournaments, just one "legit" story). Too many missed opportunities. Too many concepts introduced but not used to their fullest potential. Too many things left unexplained. Inaccurate portrayal of some characters. It was stuck in the safe zone.

Super Dragon Ball Heroes
• Strength: It deals with other concept (namely, the meeting of characters from alternate dimension) using interesting characters in it. It risks, it is not afraid in doing things on-screen.

• Weakness: Too short episodes.
Nokra wrote:And which is the best imo? So what do you think?
The best one is Dragon Ball Online.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Re: DB vs. DBZ vs. DBGT vs. DBS vs. SDBH: What are the strengths and weaknesses of each series. And which is the best I'm

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:23 pm

Best for me: Dragon Ball the one who started it all. and Dragon Ball Super is in second place.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

I would definitely put amongst the weaknesses of Super the fact that the Future Trunks arc only lasted 21 episodes. That was a short arc. Too short, for the type of story that it was trying to tell. In particular, I found the final part of the arc way too rushed, personally the Fused Zamasu vs. Vegito fight should have lasted one entire episode and then a few episodes should have been dedicated to fleshing out Zamasu's backstory before meeting Gowasu (like the manga sort of did with that panel that shows North Kai Zamasu) and Future Trunks' power-ups, starting from (but not limited to) the sword of friendship and love.

I can't fathom why the writers would give 50+ episodes to the Tournament of Power arc. I would have rather had a 40 episodes Tournament of Power (which is still a lot, but the Recruitment phase was way too long) for a more developed ending to the Future Trunks arc.

The ending of the Future Trunks arc. I have noticed that this remains one of the Super's greatest and worst weaknesses in the opinion of many people around the Internet, even after two years since the arc officially ended.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Which series exemplified Toriyama's intent the best? Which is entertainment via through fighting and flash? Obviously Dragonball/Z is the best.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Dragonball

Strengths:
-Adventure theme
-A natural progression in the strength of characters
-Unexpected moments

Weaknesses:
-Lewd and innapropriate moments that don't sit well in present day

Overall: 9/10

DBZ

Strengths:
-Fights were much improved, stakes were raised, felt like a solid continuation
-New Characters being interesting and intriguing
-Development of Vegeta, Piccolo, and Teen Gohan

Weaknesses:
-Clunky Buu Saga
-Less focus on non Saiyan characters as series progresses

Overall: 8.5/10

GT

Strengths:
-Interesting character and form designs
-A lot of potential for interesting stories
-The ending

Weaknesses:
-Failed attempt of returning the adventure feel to the series
-Goku as a kid
-Lack of any character aside from Goku and Pan

Overall: 5/10

Super

Strengths:
-The expanding of the lore
-The music
-(some) new characters

Weaknesses:
-Sudden jump in power and inconsistencies it brought
-Poorly attempting to make old characters suddenly relevant
-Lack of any real tension outside of a one arc
-Too many tournaments

Overall (as of 131): 7/10 (could change if/when series returns)

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Dragon Ball:

Strengths: Has the most charm, the best arcs, some of the more consistent art quality, and doesn't rely on anything previous (because, well, such things don't exist)

Weaknesses: while having better art on average than Z, the actual movement is mostly static and the direction often is just not very interesting. Pacing goes to shit further and further as it progresses, and the Red Ribbon Army arc is chock full of lame filler.

Z:

Strengths: Has much more memorable villains and direction than the original. Has a bit more room to breathe with different styles from animators (read: uncorrected Shida and classic Yamamuro)

Weaknesses: A lot of the episodes look and move like dogshit, a lot of the fun-factor of the first part of the series is lost, it's chock full of even more filler, and moves so slow it can be borderline unwatchable to me at many points. I think FMA Brotherhood spoiled me on manga adaptations...

GT:

Strengths: Easily the most consistently on-model Dragon Ball TV series, some interesting ideas, and the single best ending Goku ever gets.

Weaknesses: IT'S BORING! The animation is mostly totally static, the direction is pretty flat and bland, the character designs range from proto-modern-Yamamuro for Goku and co. to just fucking ugly for most of the villains (and weirdly similar between each). All the villains have bland to no personality, only Goku feels even remotely important despite being cut down to a child early on in what seemed like creating an opportunity to bring other characters to the forefront, and it's just stupid in how it handles a lot of it's plot points.

Super:

Strengths: Easily has the most traceable idiosyncrasies in animators and most individual recognizable talent on the whole, brings in a lot of both Toriyama's classic and modern strengths and characters, has one of the series' best villains in Zamasu, and even makes a lot of classic characters relevant again, at least in the ToP. It also moves faster than any other Dragon Ball series due to being an anime originally.

Weaknesses: Modern Yamamuro character designs look chunky and shiny and bad, the troubled production shows very clearly very early on and is the least-consistent looking in general, two of it's arcs are tournaments and only the ToP had any ideas (despite being worse overall), all of Toriyama's writing quirks from the Buu saga are still present and annoying, and the color design is just bad.

Heroes:

Strengths: Uh...I guess not making us expect anything means we're rarely very disappointed? I guess the music is okay sometimes, and I suppose technically it's the most consistent looking show, but that's only because it's got six minute episodes and is always just Yamamuro constantly correcting Kitano.

Weaknesses: It makes no attempt to develop or progress any characters, create interesting new ones, have interesting or exciting action and animation and art, have any semblance of being a story, or hold any artistic integrity whatsoever. It doesn't even deserve to be classified the same way as the other shows, even something like GT. GT tried to be something, Heroes is nothing but a factory-farmed commercial.

so from best to worst: Dragon Ball, Z, Super, GT.

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Z is the best because it set the standard for shonen for decades to come. The influence of Z is so widespread, that you can see it's impact even in American media such as comic books as far back as the late 90's. Beyond it's popularity, it introduced many concepts that were practically unheard of and really did a great job making them work for the story in most cases, which I find to be a flaw in Super's handling of things.

Dragonball
Strengths - Straight forward, upbeat action/adventure story with really colorful and well developed cast of characters.
Weaknesses - Goku utterly stole the show here. Ironically, this is the only part of the series where he is the "save the day" hero, as he is the beginning and end of all conflicts.(not a bad thing to me personally, but the fact that a large portion of the fanbase hate the "Goku show", Dragonball is IT.)

Dragonball Z
Strengths - The art style and Toriyama's genius when it comes to establishing shots and composition. Z is a series where every major moment is memorable, from Piccolo firing the Makankosoppo through Raditz/Goku right to Goku going Super Saiyan to force the Spirit bomb on Kid Buu. Even people who loathe Z knows of these moments, which speaks volumes. The villains were a lot cooler than the preceding series, so much so that many of those antagonist remain key players today; Vegeta, Frieza, and #17! Let's not forget, the Super Saiyan transformation being the status quo for shonen power ups. Last but not least, Z is written in such a way that most of it's plot holes are not blatantly in your face. It took many people YEARS to figure out that some shit just didn't make much sense or wad contradicted.

Weaknesses - The fights escalated to a point where martial arts either didnt matter or wasn't even plausible to convey realistically. Some concepts that would have been excellent story choices were never followed through; such as Gohan remaining the protagonist...which had the perfect set up compared to just about any series' passing the tourch arc. Another is that eventually, the Saiyans were the only characters to matter. I love Saiyans, but I also love Tien, Piccolo, Krillin, and even Yamcha!

Dragonball Gt
Strengths - This series easily had the best concepts, from Baby(which could have tied wrapped up anything related to the Saiyan's origin) to the Shadow Dragons(a literal book end for the point of the entire series). I liked most of the art in this show, as it was a bit more consistent with Toriyama's style at the time. The music...I actually like more than any Dragonball series to date. Ssj4, a form that could also wrap up any Saiyan plot point.

Weakness - Execution was piss poor. Feats of power were inconsistent with the progression in Z. The moment I saw Ssj4 Goku fire a 10x Kamehameha at the ground with no ill effect during his figjt with Super 17 or when I saw Golden Oozaru Baby let off a Super Galick Gun at earth with nothing more than a few tremors being the result...I pretty much gave up then. How can you have Ssj Goku warn Cell about doing the same thing and have him do the same thing being 10s of 1000s of times stronger and nothing happens?lol

Dragonball Super (anime)

Strengths - It is bombastic as it should be following the natural progression of Z. I was pleased seeing Goku vs Beerus threaten the physical universe(though I think that feat should have been saved for the end of the series), and even moreso seeing Zamasu become one with Future Trunks' timeline. These moments show us that they are without a doubt leagues above their past levels.
Characters are rich and full of personality. I loved most of the newcomers from Champa to Toppo.
Frieza and 17...Man, it was soooooooooo refreshing seeing characters we know keep up with the Saiyans. Many people hated it, and it was initially jarring for myself, but once i saw them in action I was elated! I was one of the few who loved 17 in Z, so I was happy with the results of his training.
I think it was also a strength that there was so many characters who could challenge the Saiyan's despite their newfound godhood.

Weakness - The show was TERRIBLY inconsistent with things. Ssb has stamina issues(which I HATE) when the plot demands. Some scenes just happen out of logical sequence, such as Goku's single full power Kamehameha succeeding where two Ssb level Galick Guns failed?!
There wasn't much story to be had outside of the Future Trunks arc.
Things happen with little to no explanation. We as the audience have to fill in the gaps more often than we should.
Beerus being an ever moving goal post. This annoyed the crap out of me.

Dragonball Super (Manga)
Strengths - The story is more condensed, which allows for a better flow most of the time.
Art is mostly good. I really enjoyed the manga's design for the U6 tournament. When Toyo brings his A game, I enjoy reading the manga for the art above all else. He really captures the feel of Toriyama's style.
The extras. A lot of the bonus material is really good and rectifies many plot points not addressed in the monthly releases.

Weakness - The overall product is bland. The fights aren't bombastic enough and specifically in the ToP, there's not much to seperate or make fighters unique.

Lack of Tension. Most of the antagonists could be defeated before the conflict begins. Even Jiren would be defeated if Goku had not got caught up in pursuit of pure power. The only reason Goku and Vegeta lose is because of their inability to maintain Ssb, along with questionable decisions in the Future Trunks arc.

Too much contradictory exposition. One explanation completely undermines previous ones far too often.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:20 am

I'm sorry to say I cannot say, for the title of the thread would render it moot for me to explain because its IN YOUR OPINION. I mean I cant tell what you think since the thread says imo, which stands for IN MY OPINION with my being you topic creator. Please fix the title.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:20 am

Are we only talking about the anime versions? I'll assume so:

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, sometimes wanting as they may be as adaptations, are still going to wind up the best of the lot no matter how you slice it. The only part of the manga I think is absolutely ruined in adaptation is the back half of the Namek arc, and the manga is so stellar that even a so-so faithful adaptation is going to come out ahead. Luckily both anime series are frequently well-above "so-so" to make up for the times they dip below it. Kikuchi's score is a deserving part of the series' iconography, as are many of its performances.

Dragon Ball GT is something I have a lot of fondness for, and honestly, probably the most likely series I am to come back to as an anime (in that it only exists as one). What might have been the world's safest studio-driven sequel instead takes a surprising amount of risks, committing to the progressively aging characters the manga fought for, choosing a nostalgia-drenched and somewhat melancholy aesthetic for both its soundtrack and visuals, and by being the most firmly routed in its real-world era in terms of design, its aesthetics also miraculously dovetail with its thematic choices in its ending--magical elements are stripped off the table one by one (Boo, Piccolo, finally the Dragon Balls and Goku themselves) as both the locations and styles slowly resemble more and more closely the real world of 1996. It has its glaring flaws (Pan not being granted Super Saiyan even when her grandson is; the fact that we knew there was a damsel-in-distress role envisioned for her by one of the producers even if it only made it into the series in part), and it is distinctly un-Toriyama in its thematic approach, but at least it's un-Toriyama in a way that's interesting and coherent. It has no reason to be as risky as it is. A lot of the things I like about it are undoubtedly the exact ones that put others off, though.

Dragon Ball Super, probably without surprising anyone whose read my posts here over the years, is my least favorite of the original anime entries. It almost has the exact opposite problems as GT. While its ideas feel distinctly Toriyama (as they come from him), in some ways it's a safer continuation, with characters rooted in their most identifiable iconography and stories that feel safely contained in terms of what they do for its universe, being a midquel as it is. The direction on an episode-to-episode basis is also hopelessly lacking, whereas GT's is largely polished, and where that series' writing feels at least self-consistent if un-Toriyama, Super's is all over the place. Its behind-the-scenes problems are well known, and I suspect we'd be looking at something different if it didn't have the time problems it did affecting everything from animation to writing. That said, it does have several ideas I really like (including what it does with Freeza), some of the best animator-specific highlights of all four original anime, a few moments of its own iconography that I think will stand the test of time as being immediately identifiable by mentioning a line of dialogue or two alone (Zeno destroying the timeline) and the only scene in Dragon Ball to actually make me cry (the aftermath of the same).

Super Dragon Ball Heroes, the anime, is an extended commercial, down to its episode-by-episode run time, and I only mention it here because it was brought up in the opening post. It really shouldn't be in the same category as the others. Fun soundtrack, but read the manga version if you want to see someone actually doing something enjoyable with its silly story. That's not high art either, but at least someone's playing around with its goofy every-toy-in-the-box ideas as you'd expect they should be.

Saturnine

Re: DB vs. DBZ vs. DBGT vs. DBS vs. SDBH: What are the strengths and weaknesses of each series. And which is the best I'

Post by Saturnine » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:30 am

Waluigiman wrote:
Best for me: Dragon Ball the one who started it all. and Dragon Ball Super is in second place.
"Inappropriate material"? Are you saying this because you're bothered by it yourself, or presuming to judge what's good for kids and what isn't? Because in both cases that would make you quite prudish.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Re: DB vs. DBZ vs. DBGT vs. DBS vs. SDBH: What are the strengths and weaknesses of each series. And which is the best I'

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Saturnine wrote:
Waluigiman wrote:
"Inappropriate material"? Are you saying this because you're bothered by it yourself, or presuming to judge what's good for kids and what isn't? Because in both cases that would make you quite prudish.
Both and no one can stop me. Muahahaha!!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 pm

I'll do a quick version.

Dragon Ball

+ The Tournaments, there were maybe too many but each one was a lot of fun and far better than the stuff that happened inbetween.

- The filler was dreadful. It only improved by the Android Saga actually.

Dragon Ball Z

+ The Faulconer score, the best score of any Dragon Ball series. Makes the show far more entertaining.

- The pacing was slow as shit. Kai proves as much seeing as it removed half the content.

Dragon Ball GT

+ ....Ehhhh, they had some decent ideas? There wasn't anything particularly good about it.

- They failed to pull any of their decent ideas off well.

Dragon Ball Super

+ It had the best fights in terms of replay value. There's a bunch of fights you can rewatch a minute or two of here and there. Not much of a thing with the other shows.

- Has the most inconsistent animation.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 pm

DB > DBZ > DBS > DBGT > DBH

-Adventure and tournaments
- Gags

- Brutal battles and legendary characters
- waste of characters

- Character development and innovative fights
- Irregular animation

- good ideas and time skip
- hurried and wasted ideas

- what if?
- 8 minutes commercial without purpose

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:59 pm

DBZ
strengths:
-Great Fights
-Good Story
-Great Characters&development(Piccolo,Goku,Vegeta,Gohan..)
-Buu Arc
-A lot of Emotional Moments
-Artstyle(especially Buu Arc)
-Music
-Character Designs
-Funny Moments

weaknesses:
-Friezer/Namek arc is horribly dragged out
-A lot of Boring Filler
-too much focused on Fights

DBGT
strengths:
-Great Concepts&ideas
-Character Designs&Artstyle
- consistent Animation
-Baby Arc
-More Adventure
-Characterization
-music
-World Building
-Perfect ending

weaknesses:
-too much focused on Goku
-Fights aren’t as good as Z or Super Fights
-ep 7-14
-Shadow Dragon Arc could be executed much better
-needed more slice of life episodes

DBS
strengths:
-Good Fights
-Great Animation in the TOP Arc
-FT Arc
-music
-Characters like Hit&Goku Black/Zamsu
-best slice of life episodes in the franchise
-gave other Characters more spotlight

weaknesses:
-inconsistent Animation
-Character Designs
-Characterization
-2 Movie Rettelings
-Toooooo much focused on Fights
-lack of any real tension

GT is my personal favorite but I think Z is overall the BEST series out of the 3
GT Fighter

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:50 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I'm sorry to say I cannot say, for the title of the thread would render it moot for me to explain because its IN YOUR OPINION. I mean I cant tell what you think since the thread says imo, which stands for IN MY OPINION with my being you topic creator. Please fix the title.
Obviously it’s just opinion. That doesn’t have to specifically stated every time

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:22 pm

Of course it doesnt. What I meant is that he is asking us for their opinion which doesnt make sense.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Dragon Ball
Strengths: Epic humour and epic adventures. Death was serious thing. Kid Goku was better. Goku wasn't showed as super hero. Martial arts and technique were still a thing.
Weaknesses: Too many tournaments.

Dragon Ball Z
Strengths: Best fights in series, good tension, brutal. Introduction of Satan and Videl was brilliant idea and made Buu saga the best part of Z.
Weaknesses: Too long, Cell arc was boring, tons of bad fillers (anime). Had no idea what to do with Gohan even turning him into brainless monkey against Cell. Lacked plot. Completely wasting Raditz.

Dragon Ball GT
Strengths: Great designs and original villain concepts, changed main cast and made female a primary fighting character, Goku is kid again. Best soundtrack in series.
Weaknesses: Few things lacked explanation, Uub was wasted after Baby saga, Goku had a bit too much spotlight even for main character. Too short.

Dragon Ball Super
Strengths: Some old characters got their 5 minutes. Future Trunks meeting Gohan's family was hearthwarming and possibly best episode of Super.
Weaknesses: Way too long, watching it takes forever. Lazy designs. Bringing back old characters instead of coming with new ones. Only 1 new villain for 131 eps. Movie retellings. No one except for Gohan and Videl got any development. Anime version of ToP arc was unwatchable and anime series itself had some awful fillers. Vegeta got turned into jelly and Broly got lipstick.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:24 pm

sunsetsimmer wrote: No one except for Gohan and Videl got any development.
This is hilariously mislead. Even if we take that to be true, fewer characters than that got development in GT

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:20 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: No one except for Gohan and Videl got any development.
I could swear it was development that
-beerus, being someone who did not care about the mortal life, step to feel respect for the warriors of the U7.
-hit, being a solitary killer but had his facet of leader saving members of his team and supporting them to keep fighting for the good of the universe 6
-vegeta was in the role of teacher, father and a warrior without ceasing to be any
-roshi leaves the retreat when he sees his students always improving and learning from them.
-17 shows that changed by asking for the desire to return the universes
and I could continue but let's leave it like that
sunsetshimmer wrote: Broly got lipstick.
true as much as pikkon is piccolo, dr myuu is gero and lychee is Baby
but kale has objectives and motivations owns that separate it from broly, unlike the others