Can they fix Minus in the new movie?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: Can they fix Minus in the new movie?

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:52 am

WittyUsername wrote:
tasuxeda wrote:I love Minus so the only change I would make is that it is made clear that while Bardock and Gine sent Goku to earth for his safety they was still sending him to earth to kill everyone on earth with perhaps some help from them if their fear were unfounded and could reunite with him as planned.
They specifically told him not to look at the full moon while he was on Earth. That would imply that they didn’t want him ravaging what would become his new home.
I think that was more for his safety than anything. Even Great Ape toddler Goku could have been easily defeated by any modestly strong fighter or someone crafty. Look how quickly he was taken down in Dragon Ball by people who weren't trying to kill him.

Bardock and Gine wanted him to live. Turning into a Great Ape would not only draw unwanted attention from the natives but there's also the risk of the Frieza Force or the Galactic Patrol finding him.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:54 am

@BlueBasilisk

That's my take on it as well.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:55 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
tasuxeda wrote:I love Minus so the only change I would make is that it is made clear that while Bardock and Gine sent Goku to earth for his safety they was still sending him to earth to kill everyone on earth with perhaps some help from them if their fear were unfounded and could reunite with him as planned.
They specifically told him not to look at the full moon while he was on Earth. That would imply that they didn’t want him ravaging what would become his new home.
I think that was more for his safety than anything. Even Great Ape toddler Goku could have been easily defeated by any modestly strong fighter or someone crafty. Look how quickly he was taken down in Dragon Ball by people who weren't trying to kill him.

Bardock and Gine wanted him to live. Turning into a Great Ape would not only draw unwanted attention from the natives but there's also the risk of the Frieza Force or the Galactic Patrol finding him.
It still wouldn’t make sense to assume that they sent him to Earth specifically because they wanted him to destroy it like the other poster suggested. Minus made it pretty clear that the whole reason Bardock sent Goku to Earth was specifically to keep him safe, not to carry out some conquest of a random planet. I’m not saying that Bardock would’ve been concerned about the people of Earth, but the idea that he sent Goku to Earth in the hopes that he would trash up the place just seems like a strange conclusion to come to. There was absolutely nothing in the story to suggest that was his intention, and it would’ve actually been counterproductive, considering that Goku was a toddler with a low battle power and no fighting experience. Gine even pointed out how dangerous the idea of “infiltration babies” were, so I seriously doubt she would’ve been okay with that.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:38 am

I’m going spoilerless from the 14th of November, so I may as well let out my opinions before the plot gets all spoiled out. I am glad that they basically spoiled nothing meaningful so far.

I fully believe Minus can be fixed. I am also sure that, even if Toriyama considers it perfect and left it as is for the movie, that Nagamine will do a great job at directing it.
I don’t think it’s that hard to “fix” Minus. What I would do is to:

- Show some Saiyan check on Goku’s low power level and tell Bardock and Gine that their son is a low class scum as them, and will have to be sent to conquer a planet and come back stronger or die trying. The second trailer deemed Goku a “low-class warrior” so at least they are keeping that intact, of course. I just want them to re-iterate, either through the past scenes or in the present with Paragus and Broly, that Goku is, and will always be, someone who was born powerless and built up his strength through his hard work and hard battles.

- Bardock should suspect of Freeza due to some better proof. Actually, he shouldn’t be the only one to suspect Freeza. Him and his group (the same guys from the special) should all suspect of Freeza and go around trying to recruit other Saiyans, but being laughed on for being just trash Saiyans whose brains are as large as their power levels.
Hearing of this, not wanting to play any chance, Dodoria/Zarbon/Ginyu force/whoever would lure Bardock’s team to another planet, telling them that they are indeed right and that Freeza will kill all the Saiyans, but also telling them not to bring any scouters. There, on the planet, the crew would be attacked and killed. The scene should be like in the TV special, with Bardock arriving (having heard of where his mates went), having a last talk with Towa, grabbing the headband and filling it with his crew’s blood. We know Bardock confronted Freeza with a new headband and new armour from what he has in Minus, so there must be a reason for this change of look and the TV special already gave us a perfectly good one.

- Bardock must confront Freeza “until the very end” as the manga said.
Just keep the same fucking badass scene we all love. Do not change anything at all and BAM, there we have Minus fixed.

Of course I am very curious to see how they will handle it. It seems like the past part will go on for around 20-30 minutes, which doesn’t sound too good and I am basically expecting Minus to be re-told as is, also showing King Vegeta and Paragus, showing a little more of the other Saiyans and their relationship with Freeza, and rapidly tell what happened in the month between Goku’s departure and Planet Vegeta’s destruction.
Still, I have faith it will be entertaining.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Ronin wrote:I liked Minus despite its problems. I think it can still work if you tweak Bardock and Gine's characters and Bardock's motivations for sending Goku off. Like more as a fuck you to Freeza behind his back rather than caring about his son. It would explain why Goku seems to be the only Saiyan toddler who survived and why Raditz and rest of Freeza's empire forgot about him until Raditz eventually did when he needed help on another mission he was on. And maybe Bardock does more than that behind Freeza's back and some other Saiyans do similar small acts of rebellion as well. They should definitely expand on the story leading up to his send off.

I wrote a long detailed post about what I think might work and also keep in line with the manga, but found my session timed out when I tried to post, so I'm not writing all of that out again. Knew I should've copied it first just in case something went wrong....
I would like to clarify that Freeza's army never knew about him. I really like the idea of Bardock sending Goku to Earth secretly, they just need to change some of the details (but it might not happen judging by the second trailer).