DBS Is Better Than DBZ 2

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

DBS Is Better Than DBZ 2

Post by Nokra » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 am

:thumbup: better story, animation, characters, stakes, filler. DB is average compared to any other anime. Only reason I like it so much is nostalgia. It's pretty mediocre overall :thumbdown:

Doctor.
Banned

Re: DBS Is Better Than DBZ 2

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:55 am

What's "DBZ 2"?
This thread is confusing.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Is that why DBS has so many callbacks to DBZ? Wouldn't that negatively affect DBS to frequently reference scenes and bring back characters due to their popularity from its mediocre and average predecessor? How many average, run-of-the-mill 90's anime are getting sequels 20 years later? I've watched a lot of anime and cartoons in the 90's and early 2000's but very few I enjoyed back then as much as DBZ so I don't think nostalgia could be the main reason. I respect your opinion though :thumbup:

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Nokra wrote::thumbup: better story, animation, characters, stakes, filler. DB is average compared to any other anime. Only reason I like it so much is nostalgia. It's pretty mediocre overall :thumbdown:
1. DBS consist of 2 bad movie retellings, 2 tournament arcs (only one of which had any weight to it) and only one original story arc. No way in hell does Super have better storytelling than DB(Z).

2. The Black and ToP arcs were the only ones with any stakes.

3. DBS characterization is pretty weak compared to DB(Z). Most what makes the main cast interesting was already developed in Z or before, and most of the new characters are forgettable.

4. DBS's animation only started to get good halfway into the Champa arc. And the artwork/design for most of Super's new characters is ugly.

5. There are numerous other anime (before and after DB) that are much worse overall than the DB franchise, especially most newer Shonen series.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:02 pm

zarmack wrote:1. 2 tournament arcs (only one of which had any weight to it)
Universe Survival saga one? Well, Android 17 brought everyone back, so it was all pointless at the end of the day.
zarmack wrote:and only one original story arc. No way in hell does Super have better storytelling than DB(Z).
And a lot of missed opportunities in that saga.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:02 pm

No it is not. DBZ envokes more emotions and fluid fight scenes with great choreography and dynamic music and sound effects that demands one attention. Super is some what of a poor man's version of that.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:05 pm

Not really, Super is pretty bad compared to Z. You should thank the Future Trunks arc for existing, otherwise Super would just be a tournament cringefest with a bunch of antagonists who have the personality and backstory of a potato. It is therefore not a surprise that episode 47, which features the explosive debut of Goku Black, is the episode with the HIGHEST RITINGS in the entire series, eclipsing even ep. 109-110 and the series' finale.

Goku Black/Zamasu, he shall be remembered as the saving grace of Super. I am not surprised that every reply so far mentions how Super had only one original arc. This is how these threads usually go.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:15 pm

It's kinda weird seeing an obvious troll account on this forum. Something you always get on other forums but I don't recall ever seeing one on here, even those who get banned aren't for that.